cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need options - carrying motorcycle with TT

MegaJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings! I know this subject has been covered previously, but I can’t find the thread I've read on it.

I recently purchased a motorcycle and would like to bring it along while traveling/camping. We pull our camper with a 2006 Dodge 3500, dually, 5.9L, short wheel base (70” bed, approximately)… the combined weight is about 16K pounds. The truck has a GCVR of like 24K. I’m not sure what the cargo rating or weight of our current setup is. The camper weighs 8,000lbs… I expect the tongue weight to be in the neighborhood of 800-1200lbs. The motorcycle weighs about 800lbs.

I’ve looked into loading the motorcycle into the truck bed, but taking measurements of the bed and motorcycle, it seems the motorcycle’s rear tire would have to rest on the opened tailgate. I cannot tow our camper with the tailgate down… it only barely clears the camper’s jack and would not allow for turning.

Without buying a long bed pickup or a toy hauler, what are my options for bringing the motorcycle along?

Is there a receiver extension that would support the WDS hitch and allow me to tow with the tailgate down?

I’ve seen a motorcycle/boat lift that allowed a boat trailer or motorcycle to be loaded pointing up above the cab of the truck, but can’t find the site right now. I expect the cost is more than I’m willing to pay, but it may be less than a new truck or camper.

What have others in this predicament done?

Happy Camping!
John.
Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller
22 REPLIES 22

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
gmw photos wrote:

How about simply bolting a piece of channel steel to the floor of the truck, having it just long enough to support the back tire of the bike ?

If going this way I would have the steel channel made long enough to go under the front tire too.

As for that contraption the guy in youtube vid has where he loads his boat on top of the truck: that is a prime example of why some people should not be allowed to buy welders and structural steel ! :E

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as one does not over load the truck.

John,
Regarding running the length of channel long enough to be under the front tire as well, yes, that is how I am going to do mine, as well as having an angled up piece of channel at the front so the tire bumps into that part of the channel. This will eliminate the front tire of the bike pressing against the front of the box of the truck, which can bend that part of the truck as you tighten the tiedowns.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
RTrider wrote:
I have a long bed truck and have a Rampage m/c loader so no issues, but I think you could use the Rampage on a short bed truck and let it hang over the back and use a longer hitch shank. You need to do some extra weight calcs as the loader weighs in at about 300 lbs.

My set up is awsome as there is no stress in loading the bike in the truck and its a one man job. Not sure the Rampage is useable without the tailgate in place, but I can't see why not.

Check their wibsite or some UTube vids on the Rampage.

Good luck

This would be a best way, I used this type of lift except in a long bed. Just remember what ever you do that you will need clearance so you do not hit the camper with it in turns.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

How about simply bolting a piece of channel steel to the floor of the truck, having it just long enough to support the back tire of the bike ?

If going this way I would have the steel channel made long enough to go under the front tire too.

As for that contraption the guy in youtube vid has where he loads his boat on top of the truck: that is a prime example of why some people should not be allowed to buy welders and structural steel ! :E

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as one does not over load the truck.

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
versahaul.com
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
800# is a lot of bike. It needs to go into the bed of the truck. The question is how to safely get it up there and what hitch extension will allow you to tow your trailer with the tailgate down or a steel mount to hold the rear of the motorcycle with the tailgate removed.

I agree with that, and of course using a proper ramp that is correctly secured, can literally make this a drive up proposition. And as for support, as I suggested earlier, I would not hesitate to have the back of the bike sitting on a steel channel bolted to the floor of the bed. That is my plan for taking my sportbike in my truck, because it just hangs out past the bed by about 6 inches. In my case, the floor of the truck has two "utilitraks" in the floor, so I will fab a channel piece that can be bolted into the utilitrak.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
800# is a lot of bike. It needs to go into the bed of the truck. The question is how to safely get it up there and what hitch extension will allow you to tow your trailer with the tailgate down or a steel mount to hold the rear of the motorcycle with the tailgate removed.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
A front receiver is usually rated at 500lbs.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
How much bike are you talking about? A Moped or a full blown Harley? I've seen some carried on a front receiver hitch.

RTrider
Explorer
Explorer
I have a long bed truck and have a Rampage m/c loader so no issues, but I think you could use the Rampage on a short bed truck and let it hang over the back and use a longer hitch shank. You need to do some extra weight calcs as the loader weighs in at about 300 lbs.

My set up is awsome as there is no stress in loading the bike in the truck and its a one man job. Not sure the Rampage is useable without the tailgate in place, but I can't see why not.

Check their wibsite or some UTube vids on the Rampage.

Good luck
2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 298RLS (Sold)
2010 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax Diesel LB/SRW (sold)
Equalizer Hitch, 1200 lb bars (Sold)
2010 Honda NT700A.
Rampage winch loader for bike in back of TV (Sold)
Some Pictures

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
How about one of those receiver extenders the guys with truck campers use?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
i have two bikes in the truck bed and the tailgate stays in the garage, i have a 2x8 mounted to the truck bed for each bike to sit on and i strap the bikes down to it. tailgates come off easy.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would load the bike corner to corner, A lot of people with short beds carry them this way.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your bike is some crazy really long wheelbase then I am thinking your rear tire contact patch is likely only a few inches past the edge of the bed.
There is no way I would support the back end of a heavy road bike with just plywood hanging out there.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
If there is enough room, how about replacing the hitch jack with a folding jack. They have them with up to 2000# capacity and they're fairly cheap $30-40. You can give it a try and at worst you might be out the $40.

Norm

#1 Choice

4thesporty wrote:
With your bike at an angle in the bed how much of the rear would hang over with no tailgate?

Remove the tailgate and get a 4x8x1/2" plywood cut appropriately to make it just long enough to hold the rear tire of the bike. Then are you able to tow your TT?

#2 Choice

#3 Would be to convert your truck to a longbed :W
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny