cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New 2500 Chevy TV

Cannondale61
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded my 1500 for a 2011 Chevy 2500, with tow package (tow mirrors and brake controller). I do not have owner manuals yet do the factory brake controllers work the same as my P3 controller?
Wilderness 2875BH
14 REPLIES 14

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Well, ended up getting the Ram 2500 (2013) with the 6cyl 6.7 diesel. Had 56800 miles and was a fleet lease vehicle. It's in terrific shape.

The hookup for the trailer has a 4 pin (3 male, 1 female) and a 7 pin (six flats surrounding one round). Any idea on a tester for these? Just want to make sure I can verify everything in working order before I pick up the 5th wheel this week (Friday). The hitch will be installed on Wednesday.

TIA

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Nice upgrade. Be aware 2011 models (1st year for DEF) had a few gremlins most notably bad NOx sensors, TCM (Transmission Control Modules) and DEF tank sensors that would go out. All were revised in 2012 and I believe GM extended warranty for 2011 owners on these components.

Duramaxforum.com is a great resource for information on your truck
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have used P3's as well as the GM integrated units. Not a nickel's worth of difference in performance. Both work very well.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,
Congrats on the new truck... Post a picture for everyone to enjoy!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dano1955 wrote:
I've also been looking for my 5th wheel TV and the Ram 2500 Cummins and Chevy 2500 Duramax are the 2 I would consider. I have heard that the Allison transmission can be a problem (was disappointed to hear that) but it was only from one person who's son had that vehicle so I don't give it much weight at this point.

But should I get a transmission cooler if the truck I find does not have one?

TIA

I would take a Allisson transmission (which is a really good tranny)any day over the 68re transmission in the ram with a terrible reputation.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
The integrated brake controller is WAY better than the P3!!!!

Congrats OP. Chevs are great trucks ๐Ÿ™‚
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dano1955 wrote:
I've also been looking for my 5th wheel TV and the Ram 2500 Cummins and Chevy 2500 Duramax are the 2 I would consider. I have heard that the Allison transmission can be a problem (was disappointed to hear that) but it was only from one person who's son had that vehicle so I don't give it much weight at this point.

TIA

One data point does not a series make. The Allison transmission used with the Duramax has a reputation for being one of the best transmissions out there (as good as if not better than the Aisin used with the Cummins in the Ram trucks). Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely you'll see a much better towing, braking performance with your new truck.
Congrats
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer

TIA

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a P3 in several vehicles... the built-in controllers in the GM products (haven't used Ford's or Ram's versions) work better in my opinion. They're hooked into the truck's computer and take into account speed and how hard you hit the brakes.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Cannondale61
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I had plan on cruising for an online manual and you saved me the effort Thank you. I am anxious to tow with it, come on spring.
Wilderness 2875BH

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the truck!! Your gonna really like it, I have a 2012 2500HD and love it!! The FBC works great!! As a matter of fact I initially set it to high (7), and had to pull a few times with it to get the setting that is perfect for us (5), Between the FBC and the tow/haul mode,, this truck is dialed and we enjoy every trip with it!
Good luck and enjoy!!

Congratulations on the new TV!

2011 Silverado owners manuals are online 2011 Silverado owners manual

Adjustment of the controller is on page 9-114.

enjoy.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a P3, but it is inertia based. I only had a timed based before buying our '13 HD, but the fbc is awesome in my opinion!!!

Congrats on the new tow rig!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.