cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New member here with a bunch of questions.

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, brand new here and have lots of questions about TC's. I have so many I am probably going to break it down into a few posts. First a little about me. I am living in Alaska for almost 60 years now, and am not new to RV'ing. Most of my experience was with a 26' travel trailer, and a 29' class C although I have owned TC's in the past it was so long ago I don't know if my experiences with them are still valid.

So my situation now is that we are retired (finally!), sold our tired old Coachman 29' last year and the wife and I want to try going with a used pickup camper for boondocking around Alaska, and the western provinces and territories of Canada. We have a 2006 Chev 2500HD ext cab that we are getting ready to drive out to the Pac N.W. next week to look for a well used (but not too used up)camper to bring back.

My initial questions are: Where are the best places (regions, states cities etc) to start looking? We have found quite a few on Craigslist and the listings seem to be more than a few months ago when we began looking so that has been encouraging.
Another question, can we, as US citizens buy a TC in Canada, and what if any duty will we have to pay when we declare it at the border? The reasons I am thinking about Canada is the exchange rate is favorable and the prices seem quite reasonable. For instance I saw a nice looking Bigfoot in B.C. that was priced within our budget which is pretty remarkable considering what those sell for up here!
Well I have lots more questions but will save for another post.
Thanks!
Dave
29 REPLIES 29

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Moose10 wrote:
Welcome to the forums!
Have you really exhausted searching in AK?

Just found this in Chugiak....much closer than the PNW too.

Lance

I bought my sweet Arctic Fox used in Soldotna a couple years ago. Keep looking and/or post a want ad!
Good luck. TCing is the way to go in AK.

Hi Moose, thanks for the link, I might have gone for that one as it seems like a very good buy. However last night we bought one here in Haines. It is a lighter weight one, 8 foot and 1900 lbs. I always wanted a lighter weight TC for those back roads that make you feel like you are going to lay it on its side with a heavy camper. I don't know if this is going to be the one, may end up selling it if my wife misses a hot shower too much, but she has been a tent camper her whole life so might not miss the lack of a bathroom. The camper we bought is a 2005 Adventurer.

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums!
Have you really exhausted searching in AK?

Just found this in Chugiak....much closer than the PNW too.

Lance

I bought my sweet Arctic Fox used in Soldotna a couple years ago. Keep looking and/or post a want ad!
Good luck. TCing is the way to go in AK.
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
rutzbeck wrote:
I like Million dollar falls but I have another hide-away on the pass I use more often. Have fun.

Yep, there are lots of back roads in the Haines Pass area. Ever camp up on the Kelsaw river road (Out of Mosquito Lake)? Nice back there too but just passed through with the Jeep till now. Good blueberries!

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I like Million dollar falls but I have another hide-away on the pass I use more often. Have fun.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure you will adjust.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Well....that plan came together rather quickly.
Congratulations. Now for the 'period of adjustment' we all had to go thru to learn all the ins and outs of TC-dom.
jefe

Is it any worse than Tent-dom? ๐Ÿ™‚

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Arktikos, I really hope you enjoy your Bigfoot as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Wayne

Wish it was a Bigfoot as I have been wanting one of those for years! Actually we went with a different idea, more boondocks style which to me means smaller and lighter with less frills. Our new camper is a Adventurer 8 foot cabover that doesn't have a bathroom. I think for the most part it will suit our intended use pretty well. It is in very good condition with no leaks. Also it has good cold weather properties.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Arktikos, I really hope you enjoy your Bigfoot as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Well....that plan came together rather quickly.
Congratulations. Now for the 'period of adjustment' we all had to go thru to learn all the ins and outs of TC-dom.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
rutzbeck wrote:
Great. Have fun. Should be great driving unless it snows. The Cassier is faster but not as smooth..hope to run into you when you get back. My bigfoot is on a dually red Chevy.

We'll keep an eye out for you.. Maybe Million Dollar Falls? I love that place but wont miss the tent one little bit!

Million Dollar Falls, Yukon Canada

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
If license and such are not required in Alaska, why would you pay any tax in Canada? If you buy from a private party, why would you pay sales tax?

I do not frequently travel to Canada, but have been there at least 6 times, with two different TCs. At the border, coming or going, I have not ever been questioned as to when or where I bought my TC.

I bought my TC in California, and had I bought it from a dealer, I would have had to pay sales tax. Through the years, I have had over 7 TC, all purchased from private parties. I pay cash, they give me a receipt. I do not call the tax board and ask if I can pay the state sales tax. If I buy something at a yard sale I do not ask if I can pay sales tax.

If you buy a TC in Canada and take it to a state where it is considered cargo, why would you ask if you can pay tax on it? Have I missed something here?

Wayne

Hi Wayne, I know what you are saying but they always this. "Did you buy anything in Canada?" At that one I would have to put on my best poker face and I am terrible with the bold face lie so would have to declare it. Its all moot now anyway as we bought a TC this afternoon!

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Great. Have fun. Should be great driving unless it snows. The Cassier is faster but not as smooth..hope to run into you when you get back. My bigfoot is on a dually red Chevy.

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
rutzbeck wrote:
The border asks if you bought anything in Canada on the trip you are returning from. Then they will look at your bill of sale. At $4000 it won't be much and if you have been in Canada for a week or two the amount taxed comes down. Canada has GST which would probably only come into play if you bought it from a dealer. Since you are in Haines if you want to look in my camper feel free to call. I'm in the phone book. Lucy Tate. There are 3 or 4 Bigfoots in town. You might check at the propane dealer as I believe his might be for sale.

Hi Lucy, thanks for your offer. Turns out I bought the propane dealers truck and then he turned me onto someone else here in Haines who had a camper for sale that was closer to our budget than his Bigfoot was. So we bought that one! Now the main reason we were going to Seattle has all been resolved with the purchase of the truck and today the camper. We are still heading out next Monday as we have a few Dr appointments and there are several people we planned to visit. It will be fun going out the Alcan with a camper instead of all those motels!

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
The border asks if you bought anything in Canada on the trip you are returning from. Then they will look at your bill of sale. At $4000 it won't be much and if you have been in Canada for a week or two the amount taxed comes down. Canada has GST which would probably only come into play if you bought it from a dealer. Since you are in Haines if you want to look in my camper feel free to call. I'm in the phone book. Lucy Tate. There are 3 or 4 Bigfoots in town. You might check at the propane dealer as I believe his might be for sale.