cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Nissan Titan half ton

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the July August issue of Truck Trend Magazine is an extended article on the new Nissan half ton Titan. Equipped with a Cummins 5.0L V8 diesel and the Aisin 6 speed transmission this truck will be very interesting.

It's payload and towing numbers are impressive: Payload 2000 lbs and more than 12,000 lbs of towing.

310 Hp at 3200 rpm and 555 lb/ft of torque for the engine.

Suddenly what is towable with a half ton has expanded. And the "buy a one ton" crowd may have to re think their philosophy a bit.

Like it or not this is a very interesting truck.
55 REPLIES 55

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad to see more info getting out on this truck. I am waiting to see a few in the wild and see what the pricing looks like. Someone mentioned they though it would be similar to a 2500 Ram 6.7. A loaded eco-boost is also close to that but they fly off the dealer lots.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
109rfan wrote:
I had a Titan and well it sucked. Towing was horrible and it started Falling Apart at just over 36k I traded it in 4 years old and 38k to a much better and capable Toyota Tundra 5.7. Currently though I have stepped away from camping and pickups

That's funny...I bought a Toyota tundra with the 5.7 and it was the worse vehicle I owned, 2 years of misery before I got rid of it.

They all have lemons!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
From an article I saw the rear axle is a version of the AAM 9.5" Semi-Float 14-Bolt used on the rear of many GM's and a variant is the front for Dodge 03+ and GM IFS.

IIRC it carries an axle limit around 7K from the mfgr in a rear solid axle application.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Now some at RV.net will have two trucks to say they have the best engines made but the wrapper..............:B

Ouch Turtle, I resemble that remark with my Ram! :B

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this will get Nissan off of the 15 worst vehicles to buy list.

And lucky #13 at that. :B

Now some at RV.net will have two trucks to say they have the best engines made but the wrapper..............:B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
for those who can't be bothered with Google: Truck Trend Article.

A 2000# payload it nice, but mine is already over 1600#. Aside from being a diesel there is very little here that would make me consider this over a 2500 series truck.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how long till they up the HP and Torque?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

109rfan
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Titan and well it sucked. Towing was horrible and it started Falling Apart at just over 36k I traded it in 4 years old and 38k to a much better and capable Toyota Tundra 5.7. Currently though I have stepped away from camping and pickups

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
When the new Titan comes out there will be two versions. The regular Titan and a Titan XD, which is basically a middle ground truck between a half ton and 3/4 ton. I don't know if they'll all come with this new Cummins motor, but it'll at least be an option. I haven't seen the Truck Trend article so I don't know if it had any pricing information in it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting. It sounds almost too good to be true. Do you have a link to that information? I'm comparing half-ton trucks on Edmunds and I'm only seeing about 9300 lbs towing for the Titan. Here's the link:

Edmunds.com Truck Comparison

It looks like you pay about $10,000 more for the Nissan Titan half-ton which puts it in the price range of the one-ton trucks and they have higher towing ratings. I don't have a dog in this fight. I just want to know what the best tow vehicle is for the price.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. I've had good luck with Nissans in the past and was interested in one of these, but I got tired of waiting and when I looked at current Titan pricing and I didn't see much room in there for the price of a Cummins Titan being much cheaper than the Ram I bought, and the Ram is obviously a more capable truck. So I decided to just pull the trigger. The one thing I probably compromised on, and maybe by quite a bit, is fuel economy.

I'll be interested to see how this new Titan performs in the real world, though. I bet I'll be impressed.

Edit - did they publish max axle ratings?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB