cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North Dakota oil boom traffic.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were coming up from Theodore Roosevelt National Park to Williston ND to see Fort Union and catch route 2 west. I was told that the oil boom traffic was bad in the northwest corner and there would be no RV campgrounds open in the area.:(

That was an understatement!! :E Traffic was bad, road construction even worse, road signs almost non-existent and the alternate roads were gravel.

Several time we spent 30 to 40 minutes creeping through city traffic and construction zones. You can rest assured you will have a spot between two semis as the majority of the vehicles on the road are 18 wheelers.

We found a road sign that suggested an alternate route which shortly tuned to 16 miles of dusty gravel.:S

Fortunately my wife and I have long since learned to go with the flow and though annoying and rather time consuming, all is well that ends well; but it was not for the nervous or faint of heart. Oh yes, the closest campground was 90 some miles into Montana.

I know, we could have stayed on I -94 but what fun would that have been.:W
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
5 REPLIES 5

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
And how does the oil boom ruin TRNP? I don't get that one.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug, no argument there. Billions of barrels will be good for the country and economy.

Still it does not change the fact that if your travels take you to ND in the next few years, it is best to avoid the oil boom areas. Also keep in mind that this area will shift from year to year.

On a local note if you routinely vacation in one of these areas you find prices of rentals, and other vacation related items have sky rocketed as has the overall cost of living; much to the dismay of the locals. 😞

Still in a few years ND will have a great road system and hundreds of potential hunting shacks.:W

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
The ND oil boom is great for the economy, even though now we have to deal with growing pains. Sean Hannity has been promoting ND jobs on his national program, trying to get the unemployed connected to jobs in ND.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
brirene

Going to TR Park from I-94 is not an issue except for the 75 mph for cars. I run at 60 so trucks pass me. However on this trip we were following the Lewis and Clark trail which put us on route 2.

We had no issues till we got to the western portion, so we dropped down south the hundred miles or so to see both halves of TR Park. Coming back north to route 2 was the real mess. All I can say is when the oil boom is over ND will have a fantastic road system.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I hope to see TRNP before it's ruined, but I fear I'm running out of time.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard