cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nubs on stabilizer rod worn down. Can these be replaced?

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if the threaded rods in stabilisers can be replaced? The nubs (or whatever they're called) on the rods that my crank slides over are worn down so far that the crank keeps slipping over it and I'm afraid one day I'm going to be stranded one day because I can't retract my stabilisers.
27 REPLIES 27

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best solution is find a place that can weld a nut on the end of it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
TheLostBoy wrote:
Oh man, that's a good solution, but how could I drill through this threaded rod? I'd rather not take them off to put into a vice, but I assume they wouldn't stay very still.

Run it down, or up tight, the drill will not apply enough pressure to rotate. Grind a small flat to reduce chance the center punch will walk.

BTW, need to drill thin metal, afraid center punch will dent? Old time egg-beater type drill with small bit is easy to control, makes same as punch mark

TheLostBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh man, that's a good solution, but how could I drill through this threaded rod? I'd rather not take them off to put into a vice, but I assume they wouldn't stay very still.

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
Grind down, drill insert good sized roll pin. The handle should fit. Lube

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
If you have enough thread there, screw on 2 nuts, then jam them together. Work same as welding, but if you need to take it apart you can

Shaft has acme threads on it. Standard nuts won't fit however oversized nut s can be welded on.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bingo. Either will work I believe, but 1 nut on the end with a little goober plug weld on the end is the easiest if you have access to a welder or a buddy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
If you go the 2 nut method, a plop of thread locker will probably keep them together. Just make sure you line the 2 nuts up to allow a deep socket to cover both when cranking.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
If you have enough thread there, screw on 2 nuts, then jam them together. Work same as welding, but if you need to take it apart you can

You need to use a deep well socket if you go this route. Otherwise, it may just grab the first nut and break it free.

But unlikely you will ever need to take it apart, so a quick tack weld should work fine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
While youโ€™re under there you might consider lubricating the threads.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Another vote for Fisherman's solution. Perfect.
So much easier with a socket and cordless drill.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman has best solution. While your there some lubrication would help.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Just have someone weld a couple of nuts on the end, then you can use a drill driver with the right socket to go up or down.