cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OVERDRIVE OR NOT

spitts55
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 travel trailer 22ft and a 2003 expler 4.6 class three hitch with trailer tow do i use overdrive all the way to my destination or not .thanks
30 REPLIES 30

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
My manual says the trany will stay cooler wit OD locked out. For the same reason. The fluids circulate more, because there is higher RPM. I also get better MPG, and better performance with OD locked out. My engine is MUCH happier turning a little more RPM.

To the OP. I wouldn't worry too much. Your trany ain't gonna hold OD anyway.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Well my transmission fluid looks like new all the time with 200,000 miles on it as a dedicated TVโ€ฆ

My sons newer express needs a new tranny right now the fluid was burnt black from towing a light weight single axle cargo trailer in OD with maybe two small racing quads and gearโ€ฆ under 3000 lbs. and well under 80,000 milesโ€ฆ

My Excursion V10 also towed much better and got better fuel mileage when not using ODโ€ฆ the higher rpmโ€™s and lower engine load was a winning combination with bothโ€ฆ

With any of them I recommend an external oil cooler for both the tranny and engine oilโ€ฆ engine coolant temps remained rock solid steady climbing any hills I encounteredโ€ฆ

I have never known of anyone saying they burnt their transmission up from not using the OD while trailer towingโ€ฆ

Admittedly I know nothing about the newer trannies, but would still bet no harm would come from not using OD even with the newer onesโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2003 EXPLORER OWNERS MANUAL LINK

Page 177 of owners manual..

"Driving while you tow
When towing a trailer:
โ€ข
Turn off the speed control. The speed control may shut off automatically when you are towing on long, steep grades.
โ€ข
Consult your local motor vehicle speed regulations for towing a trailer.
โ€ข
To eliminate excessive shifting, use a lower gear. This will also assist in transmission cooling. (For additional information, refer to the
Driving with a 5โ€“speed automatic transmission
section in this chapter.

Page 150 states..

โ€ข
O/D OFF lamp is illuminated.
โ€ข
Provides engine braking.
โ€ข
Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D to other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain, heavy loads, trailer towing and when engine braking is required."

There, DIRECTLY FROM FORDs OWNERS MANUAL. It DOES NOT specifically state that you must turn OD off while towing.

Instead it states to turn OD off IF you are experiencing EXCESSIVE SHIFTING form OD to other gears.

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
Driving with an Automatic Overdrive
Transmission

โ€ขWith certain car and compact truck
automatic overdrive transmissions, towing
โ€“ especially in hilly areas
โ€“ may result in
excessive shifting between overdrive and
the next lower gear.

โ€ขIf this occurs, it is recommended that the
overdrive gear be locked out to eliminate
the condition and provide steadier
performance (see your vehicleโ€™s Owner
Guide for information).

โ€ขWhen there is no excessive shifting, use the
overdrive gear for optimum fuel economy

โ€ขOverdrive also may be locked out to obtain
engine braking on downgrades.

Taken from the 2003 Towing Guide

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

A friend burnt out the tranny on their Explorer pulling a light weight hybrid. I'd lock out the overdrive, and I'd drive SLOW.

I know someone who regularly towed with a Mercury Mountaineer a 10K GVW tandem axle dump trailer. Trailer empty was 2K plus the weight of a tractor with front loader and backhoe for a grand total weight of 6K lbs.

They did this for years even towing this setup 2.5 hr one way drives, not to mention hauled dirt, rock, gravel and even LANDSCAPE BLOCK.

While I personally would not have done that, they did out of need but NEVER EVER had any transmission troubles. Their one Mountaineer has in excess of 150K miles the other not far from that and STILL GOING.

The MANUAL IS THE BEST PLACE TO START, READ IT and don't depend on opinions.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

A friend burnt out the tranny on their Explorer pulling a light weight hybrid. I'd lock out the overdrive, and I'd drive SLOW.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
peirek wrote:
path1 wrote:
I want the fluids (transmission and coolant) to circulate faster than in overdrive mode.

This! It will make a difference in your Tranny fluid temps.

:R

Total B. S.tuff.

The fluids pumped around via transmission are NOT going to "circulate faster" whether in OD or not in OD.

What you MIGHT see though since the engine will be TURNING HIGHER RPMs is the engine COOLANT will get circulated faster to a certain extent.

The engine fan will also be running faster but at speed will not have much over all effect.

Folks tend to put WAY TO MUCH time and energy in worrying about engine coolant and transmission oil temps.

Folks, please understand the STANDARD configuration of modern day vehicles from the time automatic transmissions were invented the transmission fluid is plumbed into the radiator via a short loop internally in the radiator.

This loop is placed at the BOTTOM of the radiator tank where the engine coolant is the LOWEST temperature possible. This loop will keep the transmission fluid near engine coolant temps (that IS the way it is designed).

Additionally with vehicles which are factory setup for towing they will have a SECONDARY transmission cooler plumbed in AFTER the radiator loop.

99.9999% of the time this is plenty sufficient to keep the transmission temps well within the factory specs.

With that said, the OP should FOLLOW the FACTORY RECOMMENDATIONS OUTLINED IN THE MANUAL as to whether or not to lock out overdrive.

I myself HAVE NEVER locked out overdrive UNLESS the transmission continually "HUNTS" gears (down shift then up shift in a quick repeating pattern).

I towed with a 97 and 2003 truck with 4 speed automatic overdrives and I can only think of once or twice I locked out over drive and that was only for that particular grade.

Newer vehicles with Tow/haul mode is completely different, the T/H mode DOES NOT LOCK OUT OD.

I would say if the manual does not tell you to lockout OD while towing then try driving with OD and if transmission downshifts and upshifts too much (up/down quick pattern) then lock it out. The continual shifting is actually where damage can come from, not the fluid temps.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
What does your owners manual say?????
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
I want the fluids (transmission and coolant) to circulate faster than in overdrive mode.

This! It will make a difference in your Tranny fluid temps.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
For your vehicle, no overdrive.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Havenโ€™t used OD for towing in almost 200,000 miles and never a tranny or mechanical problem or breakdownโ€ฆ
Not to mention I get better performance and fuel mileage not using it while towing โ€ฆ

I donโ€™t know about newer trucks with the tow haul modeโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know Chevies, but isn't the switch on 2010 and newer Chevies a tow/haul mode, as opposed to an overdrive lockout.

The difference is that it provides engine braking and changes the shift points, rather than just preventing the vehicle from hitting the upper gears.

I use it all the time in heavy traffic even when not towing so I don't have to slam on the brakes, but decelerate while on the highway.

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my long term mechanic told me to never tow my trailer without first locking out OD with the trailer mode switch. I have followed his advice, even with my new Silverado. I agree, check the manual.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Type of tow hitch has nothing to do with overdrive IMO

If your asking...should I use overdrive or not when towing, I would read your owners manual for your vehicle specifics. Some people use overdrive when towing to get a little bit better gas mileage. I don't because I want the fluids (transmission and coolant) to circulate faster than in overdrive mode. And use vehicle as designed by the manufacture.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I would not use OD
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980