cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paper towel holder and opening drawers

S_Bubba
Explorer
Explorer
2 things, first, does someone make a paper towel holder that sticks on vs mechanical fasters? Second, can someone point me to a good mod that keeps the drawers from sliding open. Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

westend
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
westend wrote:
No latches or cords in the way and no slide replacement necessary.

Shock cord is never "in the way" either as it's only used during travel ... also cheap and requires no modifications of the drawers at all. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sure, I guess you have the butler put the shock cords away in storage until he's preparing the trailer for transport...lol.

Hey, lots of ways to make a feline pelt. whatever works for 'ya is the way to tackle it. I'm just amazed by magnetism, generally. I was told about the use of the neodymium magnets by a fellow woodworker. I've been using them for speaker grills, cabinets, decorative wood panels over metal parts, etc. They have great holding power and make those fridge door magnets look like weaklings.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
No latches or cords in the way and no slide replacement necessary.

Shock cord is never "in the way" either as it's only used during travel ... also cheap and requires no modifications of the drawers at all. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
My paper towel roll holder is an antique oil lantern wall fixture that screws into a stud and a piece of 1/4" rod that I had that is perfect for the purpose. The rod swivels in the lantern holder to get the roll against the wall before transport. Everyone should have such a nice device, lol.

For keeping drawers shut: An owner of loose slides will need a 3/8" drill bit (preferably a Forstner bit but not essential), two neodymium 3/8" disc magnets, and a tube of epoxy adhesive. Drill holes in the cabinet stile and in the drawer front that meet when closed (a dowel centering plug works well here).

Glue in the magnets with fields opposed. If you recess them, you can cover with wood filler or veneer so they're invisible. The two magnets hold the drawer closed and are easy to open when needed. No latches or cords in the way and no slide replacement necessary.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Crambo wrote:
My drawers are so smooth that they slide open when I travel. I am looking for something to keep mine closed also.

As already mentioned earlier in this thread - Shock Cord solves the problem completely.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I bought childproof latches for my husband to install but before he got them on he found the latches were loose. He tightened them and they still work after twelve years. Hopefully that may be your problem.

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
GaryWT wrote:
We use the free standing paper towel holders. As for the drawers, second post with people having issues. Is something broken that lets the drawers open as they should have something built in already to keep them closed.

My drawers are so smooth that they slide open when I travel. I am looking for something to keep mine closed also.

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wen we purchased the HTT, there was a aper towel holder mangnitzed on the top of the stove hood. I noved it to the side of the hood because it was to bulky. But then you have to use two hands to take paper towels off becuase the entire holder would come off. So we screwedit on the side of the stove hood.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I've added friction catches to keep drawers and doors closed. I tried the childproof latches. They proved to be a pain.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
I have a paper towel holder that I hang over an upper cabinet door. I take it off for travel. They are available at Camping World and lots of other places.

X2 - on the cabinet over the microwave. We don't move it for traveling though. It took forever to find one... paper towel holder.

For cabinet doors, the included latches work well so we never replaced them.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Murphsmom wrote:
I don't have any suggestions on the paper towel holder. I use an upright one that sits on the counter and tucks away in a cabinet during travel

Same here - got a stainless one from Wally World that has a rubber bottom that really grips. I don't put it away, I leave it on the counter. Never had it fall in transit.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Have never had one of these open while moving. Standard equipment on our rig.

Latch
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
To keep drawers from sliding open.
small eye screws. one on the edge of the drawer and one on the frame of the cabinet. Line them up and put a smaller diameter bolt or similar thru both .

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
No need to mod drawers or cabinet doors at all, just use shock cord as I did (4 pics) to keep adjacent doors and drawers closed during travel. Works like a charm. :B

Very nice mod gallery
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We use the free standing paper towel holders. As for the drawers, second post with people having issues. Is something broken that lets the drawers open as they should have something built in already to keep them closed.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73