cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payload rating on F-450.

4wheelingNUT__
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, looked at F-450 Platinum 4wd, with all the bells, and whistles, has the fifthwheel prep pkg. The stamped limit was 4770 lbs for cargo payload carrying capacity. My question is, is that enough for a 3700 pound hitch weight toyhauler. Did Ford factor in the fifthwheel hitch already in this figure? Anyone with F-450's pulling large heavy toyhaulers please chime in.
54 REPLIES 54

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
So my takeaway from this thread is....if you love your pets or livestock, don’t drive a Ford. Especially an F450 because they had those cheezy 17” tires and that radiator thing.
Am I on to something here?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I remember for some years the 450 pickup had smaller axles, and IIRC, the wide track front axle was an option, then I believe they made different GVWRs available. Some actually had LRE tires. Not sure if that is still the case.

The wide track front axle was always standard for the F450 and was an option for the F350.

The F450 ran 17" tires from '11-'14. All other years they ran the 19.5" tires.

The F450 has a larger rear axle, larger brakes, heavier front suspension components, and a different rear spring pack than a F350.

The F450 is simply a beast...
11-14 is about when I remember Ford wimping out the 450. I knew quite a few people in the Dog trial world that had them when they first came out.
They went away pretty quick due to reliability issues.
IIRC, the available gear ratios changed in the 11 models... I assume that they came back in the 15s... But by then they were no longer being used in the circles I ran with.

IIRC, when the 17" tires were being used, the brakes got smaller as well.
So smaller brakes, taller gears, and weaker tires, along with the reliability issues... All that put together pretty much ended their run in my community.

Those F450 with the 17" tires were essentially a F350 Tow Boss with the wide track and in the farming and ranching community I see they have been very reliable and continue to prove it every day just like my Super Duty.
Perhaps. But by then, they were finished with the people I know. Radiators seemed to be the biggest problem. Most had multiple failures. When you are traveling the country with thousands of dollars of the best horses and dogs to competitions chasing championships, and start missing events due to your new truck problems..... A change WILL be made quickly.

Being stuck on the side of the road with 4-6 horses and up to 30 dogs, is a nightmare. A motel 6 is not gonna be a solution.

So to add to this conversation I've never seen or heard of one of these failed radiators stranding someone on the road. Perhaps the end result was an assumption, but you cannot connect the dot's to reality. One can safely assume a failed radiator will put your truck in the shop and down time will be the result.

Having said that, this radiator failure point on the driver side crimp on ends appears to be fixed on the 2017 and up trucks.
Towing with a lot of live animals is NOT like Rving. You just cannot run into a dealership with many dogs and horses in tow. All those critters will need taking care of. A dealership is not the place. So most will try to make it to their destination where the animals can be taken care of. Sometimes they don't make it. I remember several cases where fellow trialers had to leave their animals in the care of others at camp, so they could go rescue the stranded trucks animals. Not a good situation for all involved.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
mich800 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

So to add to this conversation I've never seen or heard of one of these failed radiators stranding someone on the road. Perhaps the end result was an assumption, but you cannot connect the dot's to reality. One can safely assume a failed radiator will put your truck in the shop and down time will be the result.

Having said that, this radiator failure point on the driver side crimp on ends appears to be fixed on the 2017 and up trucks.

The only issue I have heard about were due to neglect in correcting the issue and constantly running the coolant too low. I believe this was one of the issues with the cavitation eating away the front cover due to air leading to failures. But this was on the 6.4's, not sure if that was an issue on the 6.7's

The 6.7 never had cavitation problems like the 6.4 did, but there were some early model 6.7's with water pump failures. The 08-16 Super Duty's had radiator failures in the form of seepage on the lower drivers side with the worst failures from the 08-09 model years but the problem still exist to some extent. The 6.4 did have EGR failures that would loose coolant and possibly damage the engine as a result if continued driving, but the EGR cooler on the 6.7 appears to be solid.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

The only issue I have heard about were due to neglect in correcting the issue and constantly running the coolant too low. I believe this was one of the issues with the cavitation eating away the front cover due to air leading to failures. But this was on the 6.4's, not sure if that was an issue on the 6.7's

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I remember for some years the 450 pickup had smaller axles, and IIRC, the wide track front axle was an option, then I believe they made different GVWRs available. Some actually had LRE tires. Not sure if that is still the case.

The wide track front axle was always standard for the F450 and was an option for the F350.

The F450 has a larger rear axle, larger brakes, heavier front suspension components, and a different rear spring pack than a F350.

11-14 is about when I remember Ford wimping out the 450. I knew quite a few people in the Dog trial world that had them when they first came out.
IIRC, the available gear ratios changed in the 11 models... I assume that they came back in the 15s... But by then they were no longer being used in the circles I ran with.

So smaller brakes, taller gears, and weaker tires, along with the reliability issues... All that put together pretty much ended their run in my community.

Those F450 with the 17" tires were essentially a F350 Tow Boss with the wide track and in the farming and ranching community I see they have been very reliable and continue to prove it every day just like my Super Duty.
Perhaps. But by then, they were finished with the people I know. Radiators seemed to be the biggest problem. Most had multiple failures. When you are traveling the country with thousands of dollars of the best horses and dogs to competitions chasing championships, and start missing events due to your new truck problems..... A change WILL be made quickly.

Being stuck on the side of the road with 4-6 horses and up to 30 dogs, is a nightmare. A motel 6 is not gonna be a solution.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ Good point.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

So it really had nothing to do with the “450” components, but moreso with the “Ford” components that are/were used across multiple models?
Then what’s the relevance to this thread? If you said folks were bending axles and snapping leaf springs then it may be applicable.
You are correct. It started with me not sure if there were still wimp versions of the 450 being made, then drifted from there.

Still, it is a conversation so to speak, and it won't always go as intended. They almost never do.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

So it really had nothing to do with the “450” components, but moreso with the “Ford” components that are/were used across multiple models?
Then what’s the relevance to this thread? If you said folks were bending axles and snapping leaf springs then it may be applicable.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
It’s still early in the year, but can I make a nomination for this thread for top 10, no make it top 20, gvw rvnet peeing match for 2019?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4wheelingNUT!! wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
4wheelingNUT!! wrote:
Ok, looked at F-450 Platinum 4wd, with all the bells, and whistles, has the fifthwheel prep pkg. The stamped limit was 4770 lbs for cargo payload carrying capacity.

The F450 comes standard with DRW, correct? I'm amazed at such a low payload. I've been DRW 1 ton diesels with almost 6,000 lbs of payload...
Yes, DRW is standard. I think the payload is adequate, but wished it was a little better. Of course, we all know it will handle more.

Why "WISH" if you "KNOW" ?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
People need to understand payload is a joke on the 350, 450 and 3500 DRW’s. WHY is it LESS on the 450??? Simple answer they are all self limited to the Class3 14,000# GVWR. 450 weighs more so less payload remains after subtracting trucks factory weight from 14k.

If they make GVWR higher they put the trucks in Commercial Classification and licensing and insurance costs increase.

Simply tow within your RAWR and pay for extra tonnage if you go over 14k.

Your argument for why the f450 has less payload than the 350 seems reasonable until you look at the rear axle weight rating of the two trucks... The rear axle of the f450 is rated lower than that of the f350. Unless I was towing off road and over a 30,000 lb trailer I would not want the f450's gear ratio. In my opinion the f350 is a better suited truck for a large RV than an f450.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

4wheelingNUT__
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
4wheelingNUT!! wrote:
Ok, looked at F-450 Platinum 4wd, with all the bells, and whistles, has the fifthwheel prep pkg. The stamped limit was 4770 lbs for cargo payload carrying capacity.

The F450 comes standard with DRW, correct? I'm amazed at such a low payload. I've been DRW 1 ton diesels with almost 6,000 lbs of payload...
Yes, DRW is standard. I think the payload is adequate, but wished it was a little better. Of course, we all know it will handle more.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote: