Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable Satelite Dish, Is renting a option

kjoh75
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
I have been trying to find information on renting a portable satelite dish. Occasionally I have been camping in areas with little to no cell phone coverage and of course no TV reception. Would like to know if it is possible to rent a Satelite dish like a portable automatic Winngaard to see if I like it before buying. I would have a power source of course to run it. I have Direct TV at home so I would use one of my own converter boxes in the camper.
29 REPLIES 29

iuki
Explorer
Explorer
We like to watch the news and weather more than TV shows (we have them programmed in the DVR). Also Dish has an on-the-go program that you activate/deactivate when you travel, for a reasonable fee. I just hate to put out all that money for the satellite and receiver. I'm reluctant to buy from craigslist in case the items don't work. We're hoping to start traveling more. Thanks for your response.
dadmomh wrote:
We have DirecTV at home and I called them about something for the trailer. They said I would either have to buy an additional receiver + the dish or take a receiver from the house and buy the dish. I asked if there was a charge for the time used only....no such luck. We would have to have a monthly plan and whether we used it or not, the bill would come rolling in regardless. We decided the whole thing was just way more hassle and $ than we were interested in. For a few dollars, we just buy a couple new DVDs when we see something good and go with that. Actually, we spend very little time watching anything but the trees, birds, and enjoying the quiet.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We have DirecTV at home and I called them about something for the trailer. They said I would either have to buy an additional receiver + the dish or take a receiver from the house and buy the dish. I asked if there was a charge for the time used only....no such luck. We would have to have a monthly plan and whether we used it or not, the bill would come rolling in regardless. We decided the whole thing was just way more hassle and $ than we were interested in. For a few dollars, we just buy a couple new DVDs when we see something good and go with that. Actually, we spend very little time watching anything but the trees, birds, and enjoying the quiet.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

iuki
Explorer
Explorer
ArticFox 676 wrote:
We have Dish and also received a free dish and receiver box (not DVR) to leave in the trailer. They also came out when our trailer was at the house and helped us set things up and made sure everything worked. Can't ask for better service than that.

We have Dish with the sling-box, but you need wi-fi to use it. Do you know where we can get a reasonably priced dish and receiver for our trailer?

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish and also received a free dish and receiver box (not DVR) to leave in the trailer. They also came out when our trailer was at the house and helped us set things up and made sure everything worked. Can't ask for better service than that.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
kjoh75 wrote:
Just checking back in again. Thanks for your comments. The reason I had made this inquiry is because there are times when you do not have access to cell coverage. No WiFi, No Net flix, no cable hook ups. .... Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't my DirectTV converter box (from home)work anywhere I go if hooked to a satelite dish. 🙂

I hear you on this. I use the Winegard Carryout MP-1 Portable SD dish with a DirecTV SD receiver from one of the bedrooms in my house. Works perfectly, and I am watching TV right now in a park that has very poor OTA reception.

I know your original question is about the possibility of renting an antenna to try out before you buy and I have never heard of such a rental. You can however rest assured that provided you can see clear sky where the DirecTV satellite is you will enjoy this unit. At $150 it is reasonable. I have been using mine for 2 years now without issue, except in Canada where the sat signal is blocked.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure and get the premium pkg so you can watch 720 chanels of mind numbing drivel. We just have a CD player and find an Redbox.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I almost think you are not doing the OTA HDTV scan right.

Turn on your antenna panel push button which applies 12VDC power to the BATWING antenna pre-amp. Then point the antenna to a known town that is broadcasting high def TV signals.

Then go to the HDTV menu and select ANTENNA from the menu on your HDTV. Then you have to scan in the digital TV station before you can see them.

What I do is start scanning for digital TV signals and if I dont see any digital TV signals start be counted on the menu screen in the first 15% of the scan I will stop the scan and move the antenna slightly one direction or the other and re-start then scan.

The DIGITAL TV SIGNALs has to be logged-in these to the HDTV before you can view them. Not like the old days where just moved the antenna to get a snowy signal and then move around to get it better.

In the digital TV world you either get a perfect full screen high def signal or nothing at all...

Try this at home and experiment on how to tune them in. You will be amazed what kind of high def picture you will get from the Natl Broadcast Network (CBS-NBC-FOX-ABC-PBS)...

There is a HDTV signal finder you can have inline with the RG cable that will MAX UP on the digital TV signals. This is the SURELOCK Digital TV SIGNAL FINDER... The new HDTV signal all operate on UHF frequencies and you have to be pretty zero'ed in on them before picking them up in your TV digital scan. Using the SURELOCK finder you just move the antenna back and forth until you find the signal - keep reducing the gain until you MAX the idiots lights and that will be the direction of the HDTV transmitter. Then you can ru the DIGITAL SCAN from your HDTV scan menu.

NOTE: I forgot to add you have to have a digital ready HDTV to pick up the digita TV signals... We use the 22-inch VIZIO HDTV's in our campers.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
You can PURCHASE a used one for about $10.00. Contact a local installer and see if he doesn't have some for sale. Probably won't get an HD model but who needs HD when camping? I made my own dish STAND also, out of PVC pipe and it cost less than $10.00 also.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea take your direct box from home. Unless it is one of the really new SWM only ones it should work just fine on a round or oval dish.

kjoh75
Explorer
Explorer
Just checking back in again. Thanks for your comments. The reason I had made this inquiry is because there are times when you do not have access to cell coverage. No WiFi, No Net flix, no cable hook ups. We do bring plenty of DVD's and vidio cassettes. I try rotating my TV antenna (with wingman option already attached)to bring in some kind of a signal (no luck even when turning on my boost). I would just like to watch a live sporting event without having to drive to a bar somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't my DirectTV converter box (from home)work anywhere I go if hooked to a satelite dish. 🙂

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
same here - when the natl broadcast digital TV came out a few years back we stopped bringing out our DIRECTV portable dish setup. The NATL BROARDCAST gives us 6-36 digital full blown HDTV signals just about anywhere we go here on the East side of the US where there are bunches of towns I guess...

We use our OTA BATWING antennna and point to the local towns where they are broadcasting from and it comes in great. Full blown HDTV with full screen service - all free to the public....

Even when we go to the camp grounds that has electric hookup and cable TV we always tune in the local stations using the OTA BATWING just to get the benefits of the FREE FULL HDTV signals for the local broadcast stations.

If there is some CABLE TV thing we want to watch when camping off the power grid we use the internet downstreaming and that works great to.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
ASk around and you probably can find one. When I had our new home set up with Direct I happened to mention to the tech that I needed one for my MH so I could take my receiver bow on trips. He had one in his truck that he had taken off somewhere and he just gave it to me. Bought a tripod from Radio Shack. Works well for us.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming you mean the entire service not just the satellite antenna.

I'm sure some company probably offers temporary satellite services but I bet it is very expensive when compared to the month to month services.

Your best bet is to look at the reviews and postings on RV forums for the different satellite services to see which are rated high. Then look at the packages the companies offer and choose one to fit your needs. The monthly cost is around $100 for a full package and down past $50 for basics. This will give you TV services not cell services.

For cell services you need to look into amplifiers and external antennas which may draw in or improve weak signals in an area.

Keep in mind a lot of what you watch on TV and how you communicate is now happening over the internet so it may be better to look for some sort of internet solution.

We have been using our iPads and iPhone plus Netflix, Vudu and Hulu type services for our entertainment instead of satellite lately...it's getting to the point where WiFi and 4G will eliminate the need for satellite services.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can buy a complete package for around 175 dollars.
If you are only interested in SD on one TV I have one of the Winegard carruout MP-1 antennas I'll sell you cheap. Bought it and never used it

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Not really sure about whether you can rent or even try the systems before you buy, but how about just bringing some DVD and maybe some board games or cards with you.

I like TV as much as the next guy, but when I'm camping....especially out in the areas where there is no TV signal, I'm figuring to enjoy that remoteness, rather than just sit back and watch TV....heck, I can do that at home:)

Do you have DirecTV or DISH Network at home? If you do, you can always buy an extra antenna(dish) and just bring the controller from your house with you.
You can find used (but still good) dishes fairly cheap on Craigslist or E-bay.

Good luck:)
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau 🙂
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.😞
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets