cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

possible roof issue, what to do?

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
well we had our first weather related problem. Awning was out, and wind was pretty low. It started up a bit and we said "should probably put the awning away..." not 2 seconds later, a big gust and the awning folds over the top of our TT. Overall, damage was very minimal. The bottom bracket on one side broke, and the rafter on the other side broke, along w/ the slide mechanism between the rafter and arm. Total repair was $100 in parts.

The problem that I didn't notice on initial cleanup was a small hole in the rubber roof, probably from a screw scraping across the top. It's quite small, maybe 1-2mm diameter. I didn't notice until the parts for the awning came and I was fixing things. Of course it rained quite heavily in the meantime. I'll be sealing the hole, but should I be concerned with any bit of water that may have got through? and how would I dry this out if it is a problem?
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
7 REPLIES 7

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
I'd repair. But if there is no chance of rain in the next while...leave it to let moisture escape until a chance of rain.
Just make sure it's repaired before the next rain. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A small tear won't let a lot of water in unless it's location is in an area where water pools. I'd just clean that tear area and apply the Eternabond.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If it had leaked bad, you would have seen or felt it inside already.
Brian

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would open the cut a little more to check for moisture. If there is, dry it with heat gun or a hair dryer. Hopefully the glue for the roof kept water out.
Properly prep, then eternabond.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know of any quick/practical way of drying out what every minor amt of water issue you have. If it were me I would slap some Eternabond on the tiny rip and be happy. Just my 02
Kevin

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
don't think any rot, it's been under 2 weeks total. no soft spots on the roof. seems to me like it's safe to seal and move on. wondering if I would be trapping any moisture and end up with mold/musty smell in the TT
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
git rot??
bumpy