cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ppo-up awning bag replacement/ alternative/ solutions !?

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Help please!

My awning BAG is shot. (UV crumbled the bag, zipper severely damage)
I don't want to buy a new awning as the awning itself is in a very good shape (like new!).

What are my options?
(I live in Canada)

- Is it possible/worth fixing the bag?
- Anyone have an idea for alternative awning bag?
(I am open for any crazy solutions you might have, like a slotted mounted PVC pipe or home made bag...)

Thanks!
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH
10 REPLIES 10

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
bondebond wrote:
With the bag material being shot, I would definitely take the awning down and have a new bag made at a local upholstery shop. Even in a thriving metropolis where I live of 22,000 people, there are at least two shops with the capabilities to do this. You should pull the support legs off of the actual awning for transport and ease of working with. They slide out of the awning just like the bag slides out of the channel on the roof.

Take the current awning and bag in to them and ask them for a quote to sew a new bag and attach it to the awning all at once. If not currently equipped, I would also ask them to sew in Velcro strips so that you can roll the awning up and put the Velcro around the awning to hold it in place so you can easily pull the zipper without the weight of the awning interfering with you.

I've heard reports of $20 to $60 dollars and while I'm all for DIY, sometimes it just pays to have it done. I'm waiting for my 14' awning bag to finally fail but I'm doing my best to preserve it for now. I will be getting a metal zipper installed vs. the plastic one from the original manufacturer.

They can be a pain and we rarely use ours but it sure is nice to have it when we do need it. Not every camping experience for us is a dry one, but it's always a good one.

I have found 5 places where I live, most of them asking at least $200 , only one offer $120, but subject to change...
Sucks.

If it's easy to slide the awning in and out the Pop-up rail, I might just use the 4" PVC pipe storage solution instead ($20).

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
With the bag material being shot, I would definitely take the awning down and have a new bag made at a local upholstery shop. Even in a thriving metropolis where I live of 22,000 people, there are at least two shops with the capabilities to do this. You should pull the support legs off of the actual awning for transport and ease of working with. They slide out of the awning just like the bag slides out of the channel on the roof.

Take the current awning and bag in to them and ask them for a quote to sew a new bag and attach it to the awning all at once. If not currently equipped, I would also ask them to sew in Velcro strips so that you can roll the awning up and put the Velcro around the awning to hold it in place so you can easily pull the zipper without the weight of the awning interfering with you.

I've heard reports of $20 to $60 dollars and while I'm all for DIY, sometimes it just pays to have it done. I'm waiting for my 14' awning bag to finally fail but I'm doing my best to preserve it for now. I will be getting a metal zipper installed vs. the plastic one from the original manufacturer.

They can be a pain and we rarely use ours but it sure is nice to have it when we do need it. Not every camping experience for us is a dry one, but it's always a good one.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
DREAM GIRL - I have been leaving my awning all rolled up and flipped up over the roof unzipped up and laying next to the edge. Then I use stretch rope to hold it down to the roof for travel. Never came loose. Went many miles doing this.

The bag now has really ripped apart and I am not going to do this strapping the roof anymore. It's gonna come down and hit someone behind me haha... The awning material is in great shape and still sewed good the awning bag.

photo from google images

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem is the awning material has to be attached to the side of the trailer so that the support frame will work and not leak down the front of the trailer.

My whole awning will slide out of its holder in just a couple of minutes work by just removing one stopper screw and slide it out of the groove.

The awning material has to be secured to the side of the trailer roof to hold the support metal rails tight when you slip them into the two trailer points when setting up. To rig up something else to use would be alot of work as it has to mate up with the mechanical part of the awning hardware that awning is sewed too. I was thinking of removing the mounting hardware and come up with a slot to sit the two rails into then I can attach the mechanical structure that holds up the awning material. The only part of the awning I would use would be the mechanical metal support items and down poles.

Then throw a 20-30 foot tarp over the whole trailer tie off to the ground on the back side of the trailer and let the front side extent out over the slipped in awning section metal support. Then tie off to the ground with ratchet web straps. I have done this with my present extended awning and only takes about five minutes but without the parts in the awning I need to come up with another mount idea to the edge of the patio side roof.

Never took any pictures of it but you can get a pretty good idea from this google photo showing the awning extened out front. I had two holes in my 20-30 foot tarp to allow the roof mounted air conditioner to go through it as well as the fantastic fan being opened up.

This is my trailer and the 20-foot side of the tarp fits over both bed ends and the 30-foot side would go over the whole trailer with the Air conditioner and roof mounted fan poking up thru the slot holes. The two awning poles can be used on my setup as shown here or go straight down the grounds. The back side of the tarp would angle down to the ground and tie off to ground anchors. This makes for a nice place to stack firewood.. The front side goes out over the existing extended awning and then you stake it off even with the edge of the awning to the ground using tent poles and ground anchors with 1/2-inch ratchet web straps. The web straps will let you remove this is a couple of minutes if high wind comes up real quick. Certainly gives you a full cover for sitting under for the whole length of the patio side of the trailer from one tent bed end to the other.

All of the to save purchase of another $600 awning haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
(our new rig? no awning - while they are nice to have, they are more problems than they are worth.)

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
We had an awning bag rip once, and we took it off, put it in the garage and put off having it fixed (mostly because it was 14v feet long, so a bit of a hassle to take somewhere. Eventually, I did fix it with the speedy awl pictured above. But, then it was damned near impossible to reinstall in the channel. When we sold the rig, it was given separately.

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
- double posting -

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
What if... I will just get a +10 feet PVC pipe, and make a slot lengthwise, and use it as a awning bag/cover...

I can roll and hold the awning with velcro, tuck the awning inside the slotted PVC pipe, and use U shape brackets to hold and support the PVC pipe on the Pop-up side roof...

*EDIT
Another perhaps a better option that came to mind was to just simply mount a 3" PVC pipe on the side of the Pop-up roof (with cups on each ends that you can unscrew) take the awning completely off the roof rail when not in use, and use the PVC pipe as a awning storage tube...

When camping, I will take the awning out the tube, mount it back on the roof rail and setup the awning as usual...

That way I will have a cheap - water prof storage for the awning.
After all, I am only going to use the awning when camping, witch is only a few times a year...

Am I too crazy?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
BONDEBOND on here from Arkansas keeps telling me he purchased a hand sew kit and re-sewed his own bag. Turned out better than before when new...

My awning bag is in same shape your's is I think. I have been strapping it to the traiel various ways to keep the contents of the bag from falling out. This season it is just too bad to do this any more... I was planning on removing my awning and leave here at the house.

This is what a sew kit looks like

I have no idea how simple or hard this is to use haha...

There are a few places to purchase a new bag but the cost is almost the same as a new awning I think. It is also hard to determine what size to purchase as well and of course the awning material is required to be sewed inside the bag requiring you to send them your awning material.

I am even thinking about a quick tarp hook-up using the awning mounting hardware to work for me???? I have seen some POPUPs with a 20X30 tarp over the whole top and extending out on the patio side and held up with tent poles. Then tied off to the ground... I have done this myself in the past but had the awning extended to support the tarp. Have never done this without an awning and its hardware.

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a boat canvas shop.

They can easily make a new one using your old one as a pattern.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006