cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Primitive Truck Camper boondocking thread.

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from an overnight trip with our camper where we got a few miles off the pavement down a one lane rutted dirt trail in a mountain pass in the extreme N.W. British Columbia region. This is one of those places I probably wouldn't have gone with a heavier rig. I thought I would like to start a thread about this type of camping where there are no facilities for dumping tanks, and how others get by without hot and cold running water, showers etc. as well as experiences, places others have gone (hopefully with pictures or maybe even maps!

I'll start with our own new experience with our 8' cabover that doesn't have grey or black water tanks and how we have been "getting by". My wife and I come from different backgrounds when it comes to road trips and camping. She was a tent camper and I owned a 29' motorhome (before we met). I never liked tent camping on the ground. Never liked screwing around with tent poles, melting ice in the coolers, the sudden rainstorm at 3am etc. But the real thing that caused me to get little sleep in a tent was the idea of being trapped inside basically a bag when a grizzly bear decides it wants to snack on one of us!

Anyway now we have what we both consider the perfect solution! Our 8 foot camper without any "facilities" has just enough room in it, yet feels light enough for our Chevy 2500 HD to handle like it isn't even there. Here is a picture of our latest adventure up in the pass in a place we might not have tried getting to with a bigger camper and certainly wouldn't have gone with a tent either.

This is an idea I came up with to ease the burden of not having the convenience of a shower or hot water at the sink. I bought a 2 gal pump sprayer and attached a garden hose nozzle, the type that has a rotating head for different spray types. By heating up water on the stove and pouring it into the sprayer it makes a great outdoor shower as well as a good way to wash dishes in the sink! This is a great addition. Now we need to come up with an outdoor shower curtain. Hopefully someone has figured that out on here and will share their ideas! Hope to hear from others as to their "boonies" adventures as well as ideas for making their "primitive" TC's a little less so!

Note: Maximum photo width is 800, with 640 preferred.
31 REPLIES 31

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
DP.....
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arktikos wrote:
billtex wrote:
Arktikos wrote:
get by without hot and cold running water, showers etc.

Isn't this a TC forum?
Why would I want to "get by" without hot/cold water rand showers?
We can boondock for a week easy with daily (hot) showers...

The only time I do without is tent camping.

Am I missing something?

Probably.

I am not trying to say that a TC with hot and cold water, showers, flush toilets do not have their place, because they do for probably 90% of the people out there. This wasn't meant to be a thread to knock those TC'ers with bathroom facilities at all. If I used mine extensively in more populated areas with facilities to deal with full tanks abound I would not have a rig like this one. I am in the 10% minority however. I want to get way out there, maybe at times on the Dalton Hwy up to Alaska's Brooks range. Other times I like to go camping when the temps get down to zero, such as this spring along the Alcan hwy where everything RV or campground related was closed up tight and was just as well because if I had tanks they would have been froze up. It is also that where I live and play there are not that many dump stations around. When I had my 29' Class C it seemed like I always had a full grey water tank, and the black water wasn't far behind. That was ok for what I was doing at the time, mainly chasing work in the lower 48 but here where I live having even smaller tanks to empty is often a hassle. Having a portable toilet is easy as I can take it into any roadside pit toilet or bathroom and dump it. My camper has a perfect place for it to store, completely tucked under and out of the way. It simply works well for my intended use and this thread was meant to hear about others who use their campers the way I do.

My TC has hot/cold running water, shower and flush toilet. Plus solar, AC, compressor fridge and satellite tv. So with all these things I guess I can't go where you can!!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Arktikos wrote:

Isn't this a TC forum?

Am I missing something?

Probably.

I am not trying to say that a TC with hot and cold water, showers, flush toilets do not have their place, because they do for probably 90% of the people out there. This wasn't meant to be a thread to knock those TC'ers with bathroom facilities at all. If I used mine extensively in more populated areas with facilities to deal with full tanks abound I would not have a rig like this one. I am in the 10% minority however. I want to get way out there, maybe at times on the Dalton Hwy up to Alaska's Brooks range. Other times I like to go camping when the temps get down to zero, such as this spring along the Alcan hwy where everything RV or campground related was closed up tight and was just as well because if I had tanks they would have been froze up. It is also that where I live and play there are not that many dump stations around. When I had my 29' Class C it seemed like I always had a full grey water tank, and the black water wasn't far behind. That was ok for what I was doing at the time, mainly chasing work in the lower 48 but here where I live having even smaller tanks to empty is often a hassle. Having a portable toilet is easy as I can take it into any roadside pit toilet or bathroom and dump it. My camper has a perfect place for it to store, completely tucked under and out of the way. It simply works well for my intended use and this thread was meant to hear about others who use their campers the way I do.

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Arktikos wrote:

Isn't this a TC forum?

Am I missing something?

Oh how I agree!
We have a beautiful Cabela's guide series tent. However, the last time we have to break camp in a 45 mph blinding rainstorm. We called it quits with the tent. I was tired of getting up in the middle of the night to pee in a port a toilet in the vestibule. Heating water on the outside stove to wash dishes and finding a place to dump it was a pain.

We love dry camping, but having the TC doesn't mean we have to negate the comforts of hot running water and an inside restroom. My hat's off to your wife for her patience, but if she REALLY knew what is out there she would want to upgrade.

The important thing is that you're happy and having fun. That what RVing is meant to be.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arktikos wrote:

The reason I bought a TC was so I wouldn't have to do without hot and cold water, showers, etc.

But, to answer your question, back when my camping was under the cap on the back of a Toyota Tundra, I got hot showers by using a Zodi water heater/shower. Do not let the system run dry or you will melt hoses. But if you want a nice hot shower wherever you are...

A fisherman's footnote: It also has the benefit of being able to sterilize wading gear when traveling from one body of water to another. Simply put boots and wader legs into a 5 gal bucket, fill with water, put the input and output of the Zodi in the bucket and fire it up until the water gets to 140*F. After around 20 minutes at 140* you've killed everything from zebra mussels to didymo.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arktikos wrote:

Isn't this a TC forum?

Am I missing something?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Ozark Trail shower/restroom tent, Advanced Elements solar 2.5 gallon shower bag, toliet seat that fits a 5 gallon bucket, DW is very happy with that setup.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
We used a Hula-Hoop hung from top of the ladder to hold a shower curtain till we bought a free standing shower tent

I was thinking about something like that too. My idea was to make something out of 3/4 PVC with 90 deg fittings that could come apart to stow. I am kinda liking that Cabela's rig however!

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
Arktikos wrote:
Good point!I really don't but my wife isn't quite on board with the idea of no shower curtain.. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜‰

With our 1st 8' TC and no shower, we stopped at a campground on the border of TX & OK and the ladies shower had NO door or curtain. Wife said "when we get home, you will buy me a TC with a shower!".

I obeyed and still obey her.

Probably a good idea!

Earlier this spring we took a trip down to the Seattle and Portland area and found that while many of the state and municipal parks were open, they hadn't gotten around to turned on the hot water yet. Not a problem with our little pump sprayer! We took nice hot showers and didn't even have to mess with coins! By the way, all the showers we ran into had doors so no issues there...

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
We used a Hula-Hoop hung from top of the ladder to hold a shower curtain till we bought a free standing shower tent
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
I've used this pop-up shower/toilet shelter from Cabelas and it works really well. Plenty big, folds down very compact, fast to set up & take down.

Trekker Fold-a-Privy

This looks like a stout shower! Looks like a small tent to me tho. How hard is it to set up and take down? Also how much room does it take up to stow? We are always weighing our essentials in this little rig as to how much space it takes up.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Arktikos wrote:
Good point!I really don't but my wife isn't quite on board with the idea of no shower curtain.. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜‰

With our 1st 8' TC and no shower, we stopped at a campground on the border of TX & OK and the ladies shower had NO door or curtain. Wife said "when we get home, you will buy me a TC with a shower!".

I obeyed and still obey her.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arktikos wrote:
daily double wrote:
If you're primitive, why do you need a shower curtain?

There are some things a woman would rather do without an audience! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
daily double wrote:
If you're primitive, why do you need a shower curtain?

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly.... Are there places a person can go CAMPING where power, water & dumps stations are available ?

Go figure :h

I love Idaho. :B

PS: That's an excellent idea you have for the shower, etc.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74