cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems with a New Camper

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
We took our new Gulf Stream Ameri Lite out for the first time a couple of weeks ago and ran into a fairly serious issue. The first day we had beautiful weather, but day two saw it rain all day long. That night we noted that water was leaking in, and it was obviously coming from the slide. We mopped up a small amount of water and went to bed. Even though it rained some that night it did not leak visibly any more.

The next day when we had to break camp about noon after enjoying a bright sunshiny morn. We started pulling in the slide and the water started gushing in. There is no ladder on the trailer, but I was able to climb up on top of the electrical box and mop up the water standing on the roof. In doing so I noted that the roof is sagged and water puddles in the middle. This is obviously why it leaked, as I doubt a lip seal is going to work in standing water?

We took it back to the dealer for repairs. The office where we bought it only has one mechanic and could not find the leak and so washed his hands of it. The home office, which is about the same distance away from us came and picked it up and has it at a much bigger repair shop. I have two questions:

1) Are leaks on slides common?
2) Are sags in slide roofs common and is this the likely cause of leakage?

It would appear that the only fix for this is to replace or extensively overhaul the slide room. I am wondering if I should consider compromising and allowing them to install a slide cover over it to minimize the amount of water that hits the roof? I am sure I will have to acquire a ladder to insure that water is mopped up before breaking camp each time, but probably need to make sure all of the other trash is gone also.
Jerry
2016 Gulfstream Ameri Lite 268BH
2006 Ford Expedition
23 REPLIES 23

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We love our slide (first trailer did not have one, current trailer does). My Dad bought a brand new trailer in the last couple years and he did not get a slide, he said it was too much to worry about since he is 87 and goes out by himself some. He was afraid he would have some sort of trouble and not be able to put the slide in...

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Frankly wrote:
The service manager promised to write on the repair bill that the warped roof will be repaired if the slide topper doesn't work. I have a 2 year warrantee to evaluate this and this way I get a free topper. If I sent it back now, I get no topper and we lose at least a month on the camping season. Plus we would have to postpone our 3 week west coast trip in May.

This is really a band aid. If the slide out isn't properly constructed then a topper won't fix it. If water finds it way under the topper, lets say from a sideways rain or accumulation of condensation then you'll have the same problem. Then there's other potential issues that could pop up from having a warped slide like alignment. I would send it back to the factory to have it fixed properly. A little bit of hurt now can save you a lot of hurt later.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Your slide out construction is faulty. Sorry to say but it has to go back to the factory. We have two slides and have been in around 200 campgrounds for about 900 nights. Never a leak or water coming in when closing and we have no slide toppers.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input. Unfortunately, it has now been over a month since I took it in for repairs, and I really did not look at it very closely before I took it. However, it did not take much of a look to see that water was puddled in the middle of the roof and was 1/4" deep or more against the seal. The leaking was at the sides of the slide, so water was evidently leaking past the seal and then running along the inside of the roof and down the walls. When we tried to retract the slide the next day there was still water on the roof and this also began to leak in along the slide walls. We slid it back out and I mopped up all of the water with a golf club and towel while standing on the electrical box. When I get it back next week I will look under the seal and also check to see if it makes good contact with the roof in the center. This is our fourth travel trailer, and have also owned two pop ups and three motor homes, but this is our first slide-out. Wondering if the added complexity is worthwhile?
Jerry
2006 Ford Expedition

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
If the seal does not make contact and has a gap dust, bugs, a/c and heat will all pass through. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

I get what you are saying since the OP had a leak while the slide was out but slide seals are around "flange" areas on both the interior and exterior of the slide. Of course that is not the wiper "seal" since that is not a seal to keep out a/c, heat or bugs, those wipers seals are only for removing water while the slide is coming in.

Here is a thread I started which was something I found on my TT when I bought it. There was a small metal dam that is supposed to actually keep water out and direct the water towards the sides and off. However, when the slide is out and the TT is not properly leveled side 2 side, best would be slightly off level and lower on the slide side, during moderate to heavy rain the water would jump the dam and enter the TT. I used Eternabond tape to completely seal off the exposed areas, evident in the pictures on the thread. Now being level or off level is not an issue on my TT and I have not had water enter my TT in that area since adding the Eternabond tape.

Anyway, there is a seal on the flange area of my slide but obviously, prior to the Eternabond tape, the inside seal would only seal a/c, heat, bugs but not keep the water out.

Slide-out seal (pictures & questions)
I love me some land yachting

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the seal does not make contact and has a gap dust, bugs, a/c and heat will all pass through. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
The service manager promised to write on the repair bill that the warped roof will be repaired if the slide topper doesn't work. I have a 2 year warrantee to evaluate this and this way I get a free topper. If I sent it back now, I get no topper and we lose at least a month on the camping season. Plus we would have to postpone our 3 week west coast trip in May.
Jerry
2006 Ford Expedition

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frankly wrote:
So the dealer took 4 weeks and two shop locations to develop two options for repair. 1) Install a slide topper. 2) Send it back to the factory (estimate a minimum of 6 weeks). I asked them if they would send it back to factory if option 1 did not work? They said they would.

They told me they would call me yesterday when it was complete. At 2 pm they had not called so I called them. The service dept would not answer so the receptionist took a message and then called back to tell me it was finished. I drove the 45 minute trip to pick up only to find they had installed the topper on the wrong camper. They apologized and promised completion by next Wednesday! This reinforces my opinion of RV service departments unorganized ineptitude! I read a lot about it on the rv forums.
I would have sent it back to the factory and have it fixed correctly. Once your warranty period is up your on your own regardless of what they say. I would also get it in writing about repair work, dealers tend to forget soon as it leaves the lot.

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
So the dealer took 4 weeks and two shop locations to develop two options for repair. 1) Install a slide topper. 2) Send it back to the factory (estimate a minimum of 6 weeks). I asked them if they would send it back to factory if option 1 did not work? They said they would.

They told me they would call me yesterday when it was complete. At 2 pm they had not called so I called them. The service dept would not answer so the receptionist took a message and then called back to tell me it was finished. I drove the 45 minute trip to pick up only to find they had installed the topper on the wrong camper. They apologized and promised completion by next Wednesday! This reinforces my opinion of RV service departments unorganized ineptitude! I read a lot about it on the rv forums.
Jerry
2006 Ford Expedition

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frankly wrote:
I am a maticulous leveler. I had it nearly perfect - checked with a 2' level I carry. I don't believe the tongue jack will rid the puddle in the middle, but it may? Thanks for the replies.
If the sag in the middle is so bad the slide seal fails to make contact it has major issues and probably needs to go back to the mfg for repairs.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
Yes raising or lowering the jack right before hooking up the TV will drain all the water off the top of the slide out. If you weren't so meticulous with your leveling and let the trailer have a very slight tilt to the back you slide out would probably not collect water to begin with.

So now we "don't" level our trailers? Sorry. but you shouldn't have to "Almost" level your trailer for the water to run off. Is it a good practice, probably, but a leveled trailer should shed all water.
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Community Alumni
Not applicable
As long as the seal is in contact with the surface then it should work no matter how much water is presented to it. Also the level shouldn't be an issue. Water won't pool up on a flat roof unless there's a depression for it to collect in. If there's a sag that's severe enough then the seal won't make contact with the lowest point. Water will just glide past. If the sag is that noticeable then I would make sure that they fix that properly since it will only get worse over time. The weight of pooled water, snow, and maybe even ice will make the depression worse over the years.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our slide slopes away from the TT but it is not very deep and has a flat roof.

The first rain we had we discovered that the side seals have to be folded so that the small gutter drains outside not inside.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Yes raising or lowering the jack right before hooking up the TV will drain all the water off the top of the slide out. If you weren't so meticulous with your leveling and let the trailer have a very slight tilt to the back you slide out would probably not collect water to begin with.