cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling Long Travel Trailer to Glacier

angler
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on a trip to Glacier National Park. I have been through many variations of Rv-ing, but have a question to people who have pulled long distances with travel trailers. I currently have a 2020 Jayco 34rsbs which is about 37 feet long. Dry weight 8860 gvwr 11250. I've pulled trailers before with 1/2 tons, but for this trip I'm renting a 1 ton Diesel. If I decide to do this trip with this rv I want it to be the best driving experience possible.
For you long trailer owners what is your experience?
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244
23 REPLIES 23

angler
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled 8k trailers with a 1/2 ton locally which wasn't my favorite experience. Then my older motorhome south for the last 4 years pulling a car which was ok. At least everything went in the same direction when it got squirrelly:) Would like a little better towing experience than in the past. I have two choices. Rent a 24' (5000lb) and pull it 1/2 ton or rent a 3/4- 1 ton truck and pull the 37' with
it.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
1998 Jayco Lite 244

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT with almost the exact same spec's as you. I took it from CT to FL (about 3k miles towing total on the trip) with a f350 SRW Crew 7.3L gasser. I have an equalizer 4 hitch as well. It towed with absolutely no issue, plenty of torque for the northeast and around 8.5mpg down in the flat areas in the south east.

The first 300 or so miles were a lot to get used to for me. I have towed trailers but never an 11k # kite. By the drive home, I was barely touching the wheel.

You and your family will have a blast!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have but 26' behind me and I stayed west side and east and then north to visit Waterton a few years ago. I don't remember anything especially difficult... except we went with no reservations in peak summer. Still found a way to do it without too much drama. As long as you have a spot to park you are golden.

angler
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the comments
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
1998 Jayco Lite 244

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
ssthrd wrote:
OP. I don't know what your route plan is, but I'm not sure that you can get a 37' TT from St Mary to Lake McDonald. Pretty tight in places.

Logan Pass is spectacular!
I think ssthrd is referring to Going To The Sun Road, you absolutely can NOT do it with your rig, they have length & width restrictions on it, even some duallys are too wide.

I am, yes. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I have to say that I have seen a lot of country over the years, and Logan Pass is one place that I will never forget. It should be on everybody's bucket list.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We have pulled our 36' trailer to 49states and 4 canadian provinces, including Glacier. There is always somewhere in the west to park. You'll have plenty of truck though you may not fit in some parks. At worst you can get close even if you're not in the park itself.
You wii be amazed when you get there!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe that ssthrd was referring to the maximum length on Going To The Sun Road. The max length on that road is 21 total length. You can easily take Highway 2 from Browning to West Glacier. It is a fairly easy pull. You cannot tow a trailer on Highway 49 that is a cutoff to avoid going back to Browning due to a maximum vehicle length of 21 feet also.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
11,000 pounds with a half-ton is over the capacity or pushing the envelope hard.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed our old 07 35ft TT that weighed 9300lbs loaded for a trip with an 02 V-10 Excursion, just a hair under 56ft total length. When the hitch is properly setup you will not have any issues. I ran a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch. You will be too long for Glacier NP, but the private park will it be an issue. WEST glacier KOA is highly recommended and very close to the park.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
IDman wrote:
That would be too long for CGs in the park. Private RV parks could handle it but I wouldn't want to haul one that long anywhere.
Actually, Apgar has 25 sites that will handle something that long, as long as you get creative with the Truck after unhooking, as long as it fits on the site without sticking into the road.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ssthrd wrote:
OP. I don't know what your route plan is, but I'm not sure that you can get a 37' TT from St Mary to Lake McDonald. Pretty tight in places.

Logan Pass is spectacular!
I don't know why not, Route 2 is a very good road, seems like everybody uses it, including tractor trailers, I think ssthrd is referring to Going To The Sun Road, you absolutely can NOT do it with your rig, they have length & width restrictions on it, even some duallys are too wide.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at St. Mary KOA easy in and out plenty of room. We came in from Rt. 2 at Browning .
We had a 30 ft trailer ball to bumper at that time .
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW and I took a trip from Cleveland, Ohio to Glacier in 2017 pulling our 30 ft Passport UltraLite TT with my V6 GMC Canyon followed by a side trip up to Banff and Jasper in Canada. The only bad memories we had of that trip were getting through the traffic nightmare and infinite toll stops around Chicago. Enjoy your trip.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don’t have a TT, but pull an enclosed snomachine trailer overall length about 35’ wherever I need to. Most of the time into a snow storm and then up a forest road.
Either you are comfortable towing it or not.
New 1 ton diesel will be absolutely luxurious towing. Forget it’s back there until you turn a corner. Sounds like fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold