cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question for Four Wheel Camper owners and others w/no jacks

realter
Explorer
Explorer
In mostt pictures of Four Wheel Campers , there are no tie downs or external jacks. How do you like the internal tie downs, and do you ever remove your camper from the truck bed. If so, how?
34 REPLIES 34

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
They guy who did the video offered the unit to me but his asking price was too high. I'd love to have one or an Alaskan.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had two overhead truck campers I bolted to my 4X4 pickup bed and loaded and unloaded with cable jacks.One a Security 8ft and the other a 8ft Kit..I still have the cable jacks for emergency's and to stabilize my other campers off the truck.

Back in the day they were either bolted to the truck bed or used stake pocket brackets(much quicker) for a tie down point.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
From a TCM article:

Tom explained that removing the jacks made the camper lighter, gave the rig more side-to-side and bottom clearance, and improved visibility.

So it looks like everyone just removes the jacks as part of the loading process.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYlaydCjP7Q

Never owned one but had a long conversation with an owner while visiting death valley last winter. This is what he described in video. Temp Jacks. The campers are bolted through the bed and not as easy to take off and on. Many leave them on full time was what he described. 4WC does have models with jacks and you could probably order any model with permanently mounted jacks.

I have also seen these tied down with traditional type tie downs.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good question. I know that 4WC mounts their campers through the bed floor with eye bolts but jack wise, I know you can get jack brackets but I've never seen one with jacks attached.

I'm curious too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB