cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question for those with Torklift hitch 48" set up

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
For those with the Torklift hitch 48โ€ extension, do you think the setup can safely transport a 520 lb bike on a 100 lb bike rack safely? It wonโ€™t be taken offroad but it will have to be strong enough to handle the occasional bumps in the road and typical driving scenarios. The factory said yes as it is under the tounge weight capacity but I would like to get some owners feedback. Bike is $20k+ so it isnt something that I wouldnt want to fail on a trip or would I be better off just towing a small trailer? Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great responses, there are pros and cons to each setup and I keep debating between trailer, enclosed trailer, hitch setup, maybe bringing a smaller bike, etc. Front MC carry is fine but there can be possible damage to the bike if it rains and it is getting pounded with 70 MPH windows but mainly California law states anything that blocks your vision is a moving violation, even if a little. I am sure other states have similar law and really dont want to have a problem with LE when on vacation, so for that reason front carrier is out. That being said, If I had a low profile bike front carrier would be my first option with some type of cover. These trucks handle big heavy snow plows so with the assistance of tow hooks and front carrier carrying a heavy bike shouldnt be an issue.

I already own a Kendon trailer but it is soo much easier/faster/nicer when traveling without a trailer behind you. Backing up in general, looking for RV spots, trying to park in certain parking lots and keeping it at 55 MPH is painful (California law). So a 24 foot print is much easier to manuever than a 34 foot print. I do love the idea of an enclosed for protection from the elements and security.

I have been in contact with Torklikt and they said their 20k setup and 48" truss can absolutely handle the weight. My local guy said he can build a rack no problem. I met another gentleman over the weekend who tows with the Torklift setup and 48" extension and he has no issue either with his 330 lb bike. I wouldnt recommend it with a stock hitch setup as it flexes too much.

Boatycall, do you think your system can handle a 600 lb setup, probably another 180lb heavier than yours? BTW, if you buy this carrier, you can remove a few of the front bolts and the MC will set a few inches lower and if you tork down your front shocks, remove the mirrors and loosen your bars and tilt them forward, you may be able to squeeze it under the slide. MC carrier It needs a longer ramp.

All that being said, I tried to load one of my lighter bikes this last week and drop it twice. In the process of trying to save the bike pulled some back muscles, I could only imagine with a 500 lb bike how much more pain/damage to the bike I would have caused.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boatycall - you want to use a wobble stopper receiver pinch bolted dealie on the carrier where it slides into the receiver. Versa Haul has one on their website.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
The bouncing and movement of the bike may cause bad things to happen on that long of an extension.

I disagree. The Torklift is chained for side-to-side, and having the straps going to the jacks prevents both rotation wobble and up-down bouncing. The thing literally doesn't move an inch once the chains and straps are all tightened up.

Worth noting, I'm using an actual store bought motorcycle carrier, not something home made. The rack itself that the bike sits on is aluminum, it attaches to a steel receiver bar.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The bouncing and movement of the bike may cause bad things to happen on that long of an extension.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
You want to carry a 520 pound bike on a 100 pound bike rack? No, you can not safely carry that. Doesn't matter if you have a 48" extension or not.

Why can't you?

He's saying the bike rack weighs 100 pounds.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I would, because I do it. Granted my bike is a little lighter, 385lbs, but the concept of what I do is something that will work just fine for you. You use ratchet straps to secure it to the Camper jacks and carry some of the weight, not all, just some, and make it super-stable. I've done it many times, no damage what so ever.

And I'm sure a lot of people will say I'm crazy. But I've done it many times, I'd ask from the people who are about to flame me and say no, to show why rather than just speculate. (putting on flame suit now).

My camper weighs over 6500lbs, that's over 1500lbs per corner. Asking that same corner to help hold up and stabilize your bike will be fine. It's a beefy frame under there.

In my case - the only drawback, I can't get the back slide all the way open, but I can get it open enough to get in for a bathroom break.

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't do it with a 20k bike. The back of my camper gets pretty dirty.

I've also hit too many unexpected bumps, and it is construction season.

How about an idahotote?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The center of the weight of the bike and rack is likely going to be 2 feet behind the already 4 foot hitch extension.
I would use a trailer.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think your weak link is going to be hitch and suspension.
Look at my topic about new project, where I build a rear hitch crane to carry about 1000 lb sculpture.
Even my dually carries 6000lb TC just fine, the 1000 lb about 8 feet behind rear axle squat the truck quite a bit.
Your 600lb bike is going to be about 10 feet behind the axle. Just that weight alone can bottom-up your suspension, while you still want to carry big camper.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
The carrier is going to stick out past the 4' extension another couple feet for the bike to clear behind. That's the nature of a receiver hitch bike carrier. So you should consider that the bike proper is quite a bit more than just 4' out from the hitch.

There will be considerable wobble with that much extension no matter how tight you make things. A trailer has it's own suspension but a 600' load now at least 5' and probably more, past the receiver will be moving with the motion of the truck.

One other solution is to put a front receiver on the truck and carry it there. I did that with a 500 pound bike;

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
well I just went out and looked at my 48" supertruss. It is "rated" for 600# of weight carrying load. You are talking 620#. you make the call. I would probably do it with no gas in the motorcycles tank
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would call Torklift and discuss your idea with them. Iโ€™m thinking of ideas for bike transport too. As much of a nuisance a trailer can be Iโ€™m leaning towards a reasonably sized enclosed trailer:
- good protection for bikes
- single axle maybe - rougher ride but with a wheel under the jack an average bear could maybe turn it around in a camp spot so the garage door faces the road instead of the bush.
- room for extra junk to be dragged along.
- can haul home that project bike you found ๐Ÿ™‚

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Let me rephrase my original question. This bike rack is rated for over 600 lbs, those who own this torklift hitch with 48" extension, do you think this hitch is built solid enough to independently support roughly 600 lbs thousand of miles?

Per the website: Hitch Capacity With 48" Extension Without Weight Distribution 600 Lbs Tongue Weight 6,000 Lbs Pull Weight

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
You want to carry a 520 pound bike on a 100 pound bike rack? No, you can not safely carry that. Doesn't matter if you have a 48" extension or not.