cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on 1/2 ton truck

Basschaplain
Explorer
Explorer
New here. This is probably been asked but I am look at buying at Slide in Camper. Problem is I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x2. Ive been looking at the travel lite 770. Just found a post that said it is heavier than advertised. I have a 6.5 bed. Any ideas on a camper that will work?
37 REPLIES 37

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things that will happen - you will "find" the TC that will "work" for you. Then you will come to understand that your TC would "work" better on a different truck.

I had a SWB 2500 and traded for a LWB 2500 before I bought our first TC - a 1985 Lance 200.

Today, I have a 2011 Lance 1050S (4,200 lbs. full of water, etc.) on a 2014 RAM 3500 4x4 DRW.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Aren't Toyota and Nissan trucks build in USA?

Plants location

Yes indeed they are. I don't think that was in question?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aren't Toyota and Nissan trucks build in USA?

Plants location

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
"With as much experience as both companies have with diesels it's strange that Toyota and Nissan are both getting a Cummins engine instead of using one of their own designs."

I don't find it so strange. The Toy and Nissan diesels were never designed to meet US emissions standards whereas the Cummins was, from the gitgo. Probably a lot cheaper and easier to go with an engine already approved rather than redesign their engines and then have to go through the approval process so they can be sold in the US.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
No worries at all, Steve. I'm glad you asked for the full Monty because it's important to share the correct information with those who have questions.

I haven't spoken to Outfitter about their new design so I don't know if they would fit older Toyotas.

I agree with you, Toyota trucks seem to be built heavier that similar duty trucks. And they seem to go forever. The rumor is the new 2018 Tundra will be available with a Cummins diesel. So the American Tundra will be on par with all the other foreign Toyotas out there that already have diesel engines.
I know the wheel bearings in my 1983 FJ60 were one ton sized.

With as much experience as both companies have with diesels it's strange that Toyota and Nissan are both getting a Cummins engine instead of using one of their own designs.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
No worries at all, Steve. I'm glad you asked for the full Monty because it's important to share the correct information with those who have questions.

I haven't spoken to Outfitter about their new design so I don't know if they would fit older Toyotas.

I agree with you, Toyota trucks seem to be built heavier that similar duty trucks. And they seem to go forever. The rumor is the new 2018 Tundra will be available with a Cummins diesel. So the American Tundra will be on par with all the other foreign Toyotas out there that already have diesel engines.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
Steve_in_29 wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
What you need to do is buy a pickup that isn't labeled as a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup....like a Toyota Tundra double cab 4x4. Then you can put whatever you want on it and you're good to go!

That tongue-in-cheek comment is just that. I'm 500-700 lbs over the cargo capacity of my Tundra. Have been since 2004 and 110,000 miles ago. Guess that makes my Tundra a 1-ton pickup. :B

And I have a bathroom.

PM me if you want details.

Full disclosure don't you have the smaller version of the Apex designed for Toyotas. Does Outfitter still make that one?

Your 5-700lb overage, while not ideal, isn't that bad on a 1/2 ton but pretty much all the other bathroom equipped campers would be well over 1000lbs too heavy.

Full disclosure:

I wanted the Outfitter Apex 8 for my soon to be purchased 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4. I had Outfitter go to the Longmont, CO Toyota dealer and measure the distance between the wheel wells in the bed of a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the factory plastic bed liner. Outfitter then custom-built an Outfitter Apex 8 to fit. In doing so, they narrowed down the width of just the "tub" portion about 1". The length of the "tub" is the same as a stock one. Fresh, grey, and black water tanks are the standard size. Earlier year Tundras had smaller bed dimensions and therefore needed more "downsizing" of an Outfitter Apex 8 in order to fit.

I had Outfitter add two Goodyear Ride-Rite airbags to the Tundra with manual fill valves, a Honda EU-2000 generator, microwave with MSW inverter, two overhead cabinets, 30-lb propane cylinder, Fantastic fan, Seitz double pane hinged windows, ladder, folding rear steps, and roof basket.

Later on, I removed the 3-way fridge and installed a Tundra TJ42 fridge, removed the microwave and MSW inverter (the microwave space freed up now stores my small propane BBQ), installed a Xantrex pure sinewave inverter (1000W), 120W solar panel with Morningstar MPPT controller, Xantrex Link 20 battery monitor, an additional 105 AH battery, marine battery switch, Air Lift wireless compressor for the air bags, and removed the roof basket. I now carry a 100W portable solar panel as well.

By the way, I have been in several panic braking situations with the TC on the truck and never had issues with braking. No fade, no nothing. The brakes on my Tundra are quite adequate for the load in a panic situation.

(this post edited to include more information from Outfitter regarding my "custom" fit).

Thanks for the info as all I could remember was that Outfitter used to make a downsized/lighter weight Apex for the Toyotas and I thought that was what you had. I wasn't ragging on you and simply didn't want the OP to get a false sense that buying any old used Apex would be a solution. As I know neither of mine have been exactly light.

When you talked with Outfitter did they mention if they can still do the sizing mods with their current one piece tub construction method? I think the new totally composite construction also results in a lighter camper since they have no need of the heavier (as compared to foam/fiberglass) aluminum structure now.

Toyotas sold in America tend to benefit from the need to overbuild the vehicles due to the much more rugged conditions they get used in around the world as compared to the much better standard of roads seen here. So like I mentioned being 5-700 over isn't as big a deal for one but going 1000+ over with a heavier unit is asking for trouble.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 Dodge 1500 Quadcab 4x4 and carry a Travel lite 770SL. No doubt about it, I'm over weight. I did add Timbrens to it. I previously had a CDL license and drove tractor trailers back 30 or 40 years ago. I believe me, I know the pucker factor, both hauling up long grades and trying to stop on them. With my rig I have never experienced any uncomfortable situations. I have the Hemi, 5 speed auto, 4 wheel disc brakes, 20" tires rated at 2900#s and the front and rear axles are rated for 3900#s. Not really sure how they rated the truck a 1/2 ton. I'm betting my 4 wheel disc brakes are better at stopping a load than any 3/4 or 1 ton pickup that had drum brakes all around.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think a little too much emotion is beginning to enter the discussion.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ultimately, go ahead and put whatever you bloody well please on what ever truck you feel like putting it on.

If it's too heavy to move you'll never get out of the driveway, so problem solved there.

If it's so heavy that it scares you to drive it you'll turn around and go home before you get too far, so problem solved there.

If it's tolerable it'll be safe enough, but you'll get sick of it sooner or later and upgrade trucks like you should have in the first place, so problem solved there.

If you feel there's nothing wrong with your rig, hit the road and have fun!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

Notice the jacks are down on the camper.

Ford's hoping nobody notices that the dry weight of their "F150" class camper is more than the payload capacity of the F150 model they advertise it was designed for.

Sure would be nice to get feedback from actual owner, but looking at spec the 6.8 camper Dry Weight: 2,153 lbs.
The floor is 6-7 when over 8 feet goes on cabover.
Meaning that camper puts solid weight on front axle, unlike those 11-6 long camper we have, where you are happy when COG comes in front of rear axle.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
You are probably right and I agree with you about "real" TC's on 1/2T... I happen to read on the cabover-less units and they seem kinda' neat for the right person. I just assumed they would be light enough to possibly use.

Have you looked at the weight of these cabover-less units?

1100, 1200, up to 1500lbs if I'm not mistaken. Still too darned heavy.

If they weighed 500lbs like they should, then they'd have something.

Got it.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
From Travel Lite the only two options for our trucks are the 625 and Rayzr line.

Regardless the camper will need to be under 1500lbs ready to rock. Which there are not many options out there. The best would be Four Wheel campers but they are spendy.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
What you need to do is buy a pickup that isn't labeled as a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickup....like a Toyota Tundra double cab 4x4. Then you can put whatever you want on it and you're good to go!

That tongue-in-cheek comment is just that. I'm 500-700 lbs over the cargo capacity of my Tundra. Have been since 2004 and 110,000 miles ago. Guess that makes my Tundra a 1-ton pickup. :B

And I have a bathroom.

PM me if you want details.

Full disclosure don't you have the smaller version of the Apex designed for Toyotas. Does Outfitter still make that one?

Your 5-700lb overage, while not ideal, isn't that bad on a 1/2 ton but pretty much all the other bathroom equipped campers would be well over 1000lbs too heavy.

Full disclosure:

I wanted the Outfitter Apex 8 for my soon to be purchased 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4. I had Outfitter go to the Longmont, CO Toyota dealer and measure the distance between the wheel wells in the bed of a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the factory plastic bed liner. Outfitter then custom-built an Outfitter Apex 8 to fit. In doing so, they narrowed down the width of just the "tub" portion about 1". The length of the "tub" is the same as a stock one. Fresh, grey, and black water tanks are the standard size. Earlier year Tundras had smaller bed dimensions and therefore needed more "downsizing" of an Outfitter Apex 8 in order to fit.

I had Outfitter add two Goodyear Ride-Rite airbags to the Tundra with manual fill valves, a Honda EU-2000 generator, microwave with MSW inverter, two overhead cabinets, 30-lb propane cylinder, Fantastic fan, Seitz double pane hinged windows, ladder, folding rear steps, and roof basket.

Later on, I removed the 3-way fridge and installed a Tundra TJ42 fridge, removed the microwave and MSW inverter (the microwave space freed up now stores my small propane BBQ), installed a Xantrex pure sinewave inverter (1000W), 120W solar panel with Morningstar MPPT controller, Xantrex Link 20 battery monitor, an additional 105 AH battery, marine battery switch, Air Lift wireless compressor for the air bags, and removed the roof basket. I now carry a 100W portable solar panel as well.

By the way, I have been in several panic braking situations with the TC on the truck and never had issues with braking. No fade, no nothing. The brakes on my Tundra are quite adequate for the load in a panic situation.

(this post edited to include more information from Outfitter regarding my "custom" fit).