cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about antennas

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has a antenna that looks like a jack antenna, but its not a jack its some garbage. What I got with my winegard, I get less then half now. Yes the amplifier is on and works. is it hard to put up a winegard sensor 3 in its place? I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the flat powered antenna?hoe was your reception. If you found a good one that received say 40 to 50 miles what was it?
Thanks in advance.
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch
21 REPLIES 21

eend
Explorer
Explorer
No antenna for us, I cut the old wineguard off the roof, when we go camping we leave the TV at home, we dont have a tv in the trailer either.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Before everyone laughs, I use an external antenna that gets me 83 channels about 90 miles from Phoenix as the crow flies, up on the Mogollon rim.
Line of sight you just see mountains but this cheap $35 amplified directional motorized antenna works awesome.
I mount it on a 9 foot pole attached to my ladder.

My GF has one in her house for free tv.

Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified - Motorized 360 Degree Rotation - Digital HDTV Antenna - 150 Mile...

Fixed link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SFXDSVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_JVkqDbGK681MD

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Before everyone laughs, I use an external antenna that gets me 83 channels about 90 miles from Phoenix as the crow flies, up on the Mogollon rim.
Line of sight you just see mountains but this cheap $35 amplified directional motorized antenna works awesome.
I mount it on a 9 foot pole attached to my ladder.

My GF has one in her house for free tv.

Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified - Motorized 360 Degree Rotation - Digital HDTV Antenna - 150 Mile...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

IF you don't mind carrying and setting up a external antenna that might be the better route and net you more signals.

Something like this..

This is more like I would like to use but the problem with this style is that they are fragile and bulky. The only reason I got a bow-tie design is that it much less susceptible to damage and it's quite thin when the elements are in the folded down position. The bow-tie antenna picked up more channels compared to our standard Winegard. A good yagi style should be able to pick up some stations farther away depending on atmospheric conditions.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
drsteve wrote:
The King Jack omnidirectional antenna on my Coachmen is junk.

The King Jack antenna isn't omnidirectional but rather directional, which is why it needs to be rotated for best reception. The King OmniPro / OmniGo are omnidirectional.

Mine has no provision for turning, so it is an Omni. And it is junk.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
so what one do you suggest?
Equal-i-zer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
But, MR "Soundguy" you obviously do not understand that very simple concept.

An additional concept to consider, UHF is extremely "line of sight", UHF by it's very nature DOES NOT BEND TO THE EARTHS CONTORE, instead it makes a straight line right accross the horizon and into the atmosphere the further away from the broadcast tower you are..

Yeah, what was I thinking? - 45 yrs in the television broadcast business and I missed your "simple concept". Now that's funny! 😛

BTW, spelled correctly that would be "earth's contour" and "across" not "accross". Great entertainment! :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Regardless, the "King" has no ELEVATION when compared to the Winegard "Bat Wing".

That's not true at all. King sells their Jack antenna not only as a complete assembly but also just the head itself which can be mounted to the same elevating shaft as a Winegard Sensar antenna head. Elevation is the same, regardless of which head is mounted on the elevating shaft.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
OP was asking if they could replace their CURRENT "JACK" antenna which is a omni-directional antenna with a WINEGARD which is a directional folded dipole.

Once again, the King Jack antenna is NOT omnidirectional but rather directional, which is why it needs to be rotated for best reception. The Jack simply has a wider angle of acceptance than the Winegard "batwing" antenna, which is why some believe it's easier to find stations when rotating the antenna.

Regardless, the "King" has no ELEVATION when compared to the Winegard "Bat Wing".

King sits only a few inches above the roof where the Batwing can be extended nearly THREE FEET HIGHER.

The "advantage" goes to the Batwing because you can get it ABOVE obstructions on your roof like, say your AC unit?

Antennas ALWAYS perform MUCH better when they ARE ABOVE ALL SURROUNDINGS.

But, MR "Soundguy" you obviously do not understand that very simple concept.

An additional concept to consider, UHF is extremely "line of sight", UHF by it's very nature DOES NOT BEND TO THE EARTHS CONTORE, instead it makes a straight line right accross the horizon and into the atmosphere the further away from the broadcast tower you are..

Height can be critical, that 3ft extension above the roof can easily make or break getting the station.

Something else to consider, those "Jack" style antennas are not designed for optimal VHF LOW band, yeah, Jacks information states it can receive VHF low, but the antenna IS TOO SHORT for BEST and OPTIMAL VHF LOW.

The Batwing, however, Winegard NEVER changed the VHF element, it is STILL THE SAME length as the ones designed 30 years ago which was designed for VHF LOW, VHF HIGH and UHF..

I still say that the Winegard IS the BETTER DESIGNED ANTENNA for a compact RV design.

If you want better than the Winegard then you MUST consider the DIY approach with a separate LARGER antenna like the Channel master I showed and not the cheap stacked "Bowties" that everyone seems to always push on this forum..

The longer and larger the antenna, the BETTER RECEPTION YOU ALWAYS WILL GET.

Small compact antennas like the Jack and KING JACK are nothing more than a coathanger.. I can easily make the same antenna from a metal coathanger and get THE SAME results as the King Jack and my version costs NOTHING to make.

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the great info. May look into adding the winegard. There is already a hole from the jack antenna. I'll have to get up on the roof and see if I can install the antenna. (not sure if its worth the money and work.)
Thanks for all of the replies. If anybody has any more ideas please post away. Thanks.
Equal-i-zer Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
OP was asking if they could replace their CURRENT "JACK" antenna which is a omni-directional antenna with a WINEGARD which is a directional folded dipole.

Once again, the King Jack antenna is NOT omnidirectional but rather directional, which is why it needs to be rotated for best reception. The Jack simply has a wider angle of acceptance than the Winegard "batwing" antenna, which is why some believe it's easier to find stations when rotating the antenna.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
Last summer I tried out a 2-bay bow-tie antenna. Bought six 4' fiberglass antenna masts and had the antenna about 24' above the ground. I also used TVfool.com to figure out where to aim the antenna. Worked much better than our Winegard batwing antenna with wingman booster.

I wanted to bring it with us on our current 3 week camping trip but couldn't find the bow-tie anywhere at home. I put it somewhere so it couldn't get damaged and I guess I did a good job of it. :M

Sometimes you can't get a sat signal due to trees and obstructions and sometimes CG cable is cr@p. It's nice to be able to get some OTA channels when you can't get TV otherwise. I've found that sometimes you get some great OTA channels & shows you can't get on cable or sat.

As mentioned, an antenna amp will NOT improve an already weak signal. The amps are supposed to me mounted at the antenna and they are designed to compensate for signal loss in the co-ax from antenna to TV. We have a Winegard SensarPro signal finder but I find it doesn't help a whole lot. I find that TVfool.com is better so you know where the originating TV transmitters are located and can aim accordingly. It also tells you what the signal strength of various stations is.

I'd love to try out a large yagi style antenna but they're too big and fragile to travel around with. The antennas with a rotator that claim reception up to 150 miles are a waste if $$ and contradict antenna wave theory.

Folks, you NEED to get over these JUNK "BOWTIES", PERIOD.

In the USA MANY STATIONS ARE NOW GOING BACK TO VHF LOW BAND (old analog channels 2-6 frequencies), UHF BOWTIES WILL GET YOU SQUAT FOR VHF LOW BAND COVERAGE.

The answer is YES, it MAY BE possible and YES, it will be SOME WHAT of an improvement (it still is limited but does have some forward and backside GAIN over a omni-directional (JACK).

To install the Winegard you will need to cut a hole in your roof, you may need to additionally reinforce the opening which may be a bit tricky to do.

IF you don't mind carrying and setting up a external antenna that might be the better route and net you more signals.

Something like this..

Channel Master CM-2018 which has not just UHF but VHF antenna elements. This antenna does not have a preamp, may also wish to consider a two piece antenna preamp, one piece which the amp mounts at the antenna and the other is the power injector which hooks up in between the antenna and TV INSIDE your RV..

Channel Master CM-7777 or CM-7778 are topnotch choices for LOW NOISE and HIGH GAIN preamps.

Downside with better gain antennas is they get more directional and often stations are spread out in different headings requiring you to go outside and manually aim the antenna each time you change stations.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
The King Jack omnidirectional antenna on my Coachmen is junk.

The King Jack antenna isn't omnidirectional but rather directional, which is why it needs to be rotated for best reception. The King OmniPro / OmniGo are omnidirectional.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last summer I tried out a 2-bay bow-tie antenna. Bought six 4' fiberglass antenna masts and had the antenna about 24' above the ground. I also used TVfool.com to figure out where to aim the antenna. Worked much better than our Winegard batwing antenna with wingman booster.

I wanted to bring it with us on our current 3 week camping trip but couldn't find the bow-tie anywhere at home. I put it somewhere so it couldn't get damaged and I guess I did a good job of it. :M

Sometimes you can't get a sat signal due to trees and obstructions and sometimes CG cable is cr@p. It's nice to be able to get some OTA channels when you can't get TV otherwise. I've found that sometimes you get some great OTA channels & shows you can't get on cable or sat.

As mentioned, an antenna amp will NOT improve an already weak signal. The amps are supposed to me mounted at the antenna and they are designed to compensate for signal loss in the co-ax from antenna to TV. We have a Winegard SensarPro signal finder but I find it doesn't help a whole lot. I find that TVfool.com is better so you know where the originating TV transmitters are located and can aim accordingly. It also tells you what the signal strength of various stations is.

I'd love to try out a large yagi style antenna but they're too big and fragile to travel around with. The antennas with a rotator that claim reception up to 150 miles are a waste if $$ and contradict antenna wave theory.