cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator problems

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
I've been lurking for a while. I'm brand new to RVs this year and have learned a ton of stuff from this site. Thank you to all who contribute.

I purchased a new 2015 Skyline Ecocamp 20BH this spring. The refrigerator didn't feel very cold the first time we used it, so I purchased a thermometer and stuck it in the refrigerator. As we thought, it would only get to 55 degrees. The freezer would get to about 5 degrees. We run the refrigerator on electric 90 percent of the time.

So we took it back to the dealer and in the meantime, used our refrigerator like an ice chest, packing it full of ice to keep it somewhat cold.

The dealer has had it 5 weeks, and I go grab it on the weekends to use it. They have pulled out the refrigerator 4 times, added baffles, moved the refrigerator, insulated around the refrigerator, added an exterior fan, and supposedly just replaced the cooling unit. The dealer said they have spent 5 hours alone on the phone with Dometic and Skyline. I picked it up Friday and they said it was finally fixed and at 37 degrees.

I took it out this weekend. Packed with 4 gallon size bags of ice and 7 frozen water bottles, as well as all the usual cold drinks, the refrigerator would only get down to 50 degrees. The freezer was cold as it should be.

I just got home and have had it plugged in for 8 hours after having it unplugged for about an hour to get home. My refrigerator thermometer says 60 degrees. My infrared thermometer reads 59-64 degrees. The freezer reads 4-9 degrees.

Does anybody have anymore ideas? Do I need to be running the refrigerator on gas instead of electric? Is there anything else they can replace? I love the trailer and everything else works just as it is supposed to with no issues.

Thanks for any ideas.
10 REPLIES 10

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
It's now 90 degrees outside. My refrigerator has been plugged in for 29 hours. I opened it once this morning. I just opened it again to check it and it is 54 degrees.

I called my dealer. They told me they had it at 37 degrees. I told him I'm not making it up and I have better things to do than bring my trailer in again. They have had it for 5 weeks trying to fix this! I told them I'm paying $150 a month for indoor storage and don't want it sitting outside for another long term fix. They are going to call Dometic. I asked at what point do you just gut the whole thing and get a brand new refrigerator replacement? I also offered to call Dometic myself, but don't think that will have much pull.

I'm crossing my fingers that this can be fixed. The dealer seems to be leaning towards not enough venting so time will tell.

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same model in by Heritage Glen by Forest River. I have found that the fins constantly sweat. At one point, the thermistor was not connected to the sleeve that attaches to the fins. It has been on there for over two weeks and I still get some sweating. I just put a thermometer in the fridge earlier today and I will check it in the morning. I've got a feeling I will have to call the dealer. Unfortunately, not much can be done because we have a 12 day camping trip planned beginning this weekend.

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
I had it running for 24 hours now. I went out and opened it up and it was 44 degrees with the infrared gun. When I shot right at the cooling fins they were 35 degrees. It is a Dometic DM2652.

This weekends outside temperatures were 100 degrees, so I'm sure that didn't help much. It's only about 70 degrees outside now.

Thank you for all the responses. I will give my dealer another call.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read you had it unplugged to get home. did you drive home with the unit ON in the gas mode. maybe do this test at home, rv on a level spot,, turn frig on gas ,set control knob to say a 6, don,t open that door for TEN HOURS, then go check your temps. a rv frig is much different than a house frig.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
djgarcia wrote:
The frig is defective and needs to replaced with a new one! Dometic should bite the bullet as a warranty issue.

I agree.

Either they didn't really replace the cooling unit, or the control board is bad.

Either way, get on the dealer hard to pressure Dometic for a replacement. If they won't do it, get documentation of all the work done, and then get on the phone with Dometic yourself.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What DOMETIC MODEL is this fridge?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
Boband4 wrote:
Have you checked for the thermistor on the cooling coils in the refridgerator? It is a plastic sleeve that clips onto one of the fins amd has a wire coming out. Sliding it up/down adjusts the temp.

Yes. The dealer actually did a really cheesy job of holding it in place as high as it will go with some white silicone.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reefer should do better than the 37* they got it to. At the top of the refer, on the coldest setting, it should just about freeze things.

A fan inside would help, but it should also work without it. Remember the cold radiates(?) down from the freezer fins. If the refer is packed too tight, the cold can't work it's way downward. There's no natural air circulation in there.

They do make replacement adjustable thermistors that work better than the original, but again, new from the factory, it should work correctly.

Go buy a cheap remote thermometer with at least two remotes so you can put on in the refer and one in the freezer. You loose a lot of cold checking it all of the time. And, you'll know what it's doing while driving down the road.

If you want to pay little more, by a thermometer that registers four sensors. Refer, freeze, inside RV temp and outside temp.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked for the thermistor on the cooling coils in the refridgerator? It is a plastic sleeve that clips onto one of the fins amd has a wire coming out. Sliding it up/down adjusts the temp.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
The frig is defective and needs to replaced with a new one! Dometic should bite the bullet as a warranty issue.