cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Regen Cycles on 2011 Ram 2500

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I just got this 2011 Ram 2500 and haven't noticed a regen cycle within the 250 miles I have driven it. What is a typical cycle (miles) that these trucks regen? Is there a dash light to let you know while it is in process?

I do short trips mainly 15-20 miles one way.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
13 REPLIES 13

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Ram will go 7 or 8 hundred miles before Regen !
For fast idle I feed the throttle to the desired RPMs and touch the cruise control button !

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use it often but when the temperature gets down around freezing and I use remote start, it goes into high idle on its own plus the driver's seat heater and steering wheel heater are turned on.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
High idle, at least back when I bought mine was a dealer option that was a simple switch setting accessed via star scan tool. In northern climates most dealers have already turned it on. Same for the DRL feature. Turned on for Canada vehicles, option in the US.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
You might go to a dodge dealer and ask them to turn on high idle. This helps warm up in cold weather.

Are the newer Rams different? On my 12, after starting I hit the cruise button then the set button and it will rev up to 1200 rpms for warm up.

X2 for my 11.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
This truck seems to go into high idle at cold start up already?

donn0128 wrote:
You might go to a dodge dealer and ask them to turn on high idle. This helps warm up in cold weather.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:

Are the newer Rams different? On my 12, after starting I hit the cruise button then the set button and it will rev up to 1200 rpms for warm up.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
If you do a lot of towing or highway driving, regens won't be something you will notice very often. If the engine is working the exhaust temp stays high enough to keep the DPF clean. As others have mentioned, the only way I know one is in progress is a diesel smell while idling.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:
Ok thanks I will keep a more watchful eye on the milage. Lately been monitoring the coolant temp since its cold out here (-3F).

I see on some semi trucks the drivers have some control on the regen cycles. I wonder if that will ever filter down?

I doubt it. The DPF regen off switch is only intended for use when you are on a yard that requires you not regen such as oil refineries. Although it does tend to get drivers in trouble since you can only turn off a regen a certain amount of times. If you go past that limit then your truck will go into limp mode and requires a forced regen by a technician with Cummins software.

I highly recommend you get a Edge Insight CTS2 or something similar if you are wanting monitor egens. Not only will it tell you when you are regen, but it will also tell you EGT flow, DPF back pressure, and a whole host of useful info in real time.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks I will keep a more watchful eye on the milage. Lately been monitoring the coolant temp since its cold out here (-3F).

I see on some semi trucks the drivers have some control on the regen cycles. I wonder if that will ever filter down?
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
About twice a month you need to get it on the highway and run it HARD for about an hour. Short trips will soot up the DPF really fast. Once its sooted its near impossivle to clean it out. The best thing is drive it hard and keep the revs up. Also running with the EB on all the time helps.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty miles is too short to complete a regen, and there's no light. I could tell by the smell, and you'll see fuel mpg drop way off when it happens.

If you go too long, you'll get a message about reducing performance, and it can do a regeneration parked in that situation.

YMMV if they have changed the software since new, I traded mine in some time ago.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
No light when regen. Only way I know mine is doing it there is a smell of (rich running) diesel at red lights. Nothing really noticeable.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport