cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace Akuret tires with Goodyear Marathons?

bigtime_077
Explorer
Explorer
So this is the dilemma that I have. I have a trip coming up the second weekend in May that is roughly 170 miles one way. The camper is a brand new left over 13 with 225/75r15 load range D tires. These tires are not balanced right now. I talked to a tire dealer about replacement tires and I can get 4 Goodyear Marathons in the same size and load range for $505 mounted and balanced with a $100 mail in rebate.

The tires that came on the trailer are the Akuret tires. I have never heard of them until I started looking at the forums. Might I say I haven't heard anything good about them. I have had the Goodyears before and had good luck with them.

I know that a lot of people will say go to LT tires or if using ST tires then run Maxxis. I have nothing personal against them but is sounds like they are getting harder to find and I kind of wanted to stick with a tire name where I could find a replacement.

Anyway to cut to the chase I looked the Akurets over real well and see no blemishes or reason for concern other than the name brand and the horror stories. I believe all tires will experience failure at some point but some brands are more prone than others. The rebate ends on May 31st. Part of me is also being a little reserved because my truck still has the P rated tires on it and I am a little concerned about using these to tow a larger TT even though the truck dealer says they will be fine.

I am looking for some sound advice because I am pulling my hair out over this.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
If they are load range D they are 8 ply and have a load range of 2535 lbs at 65 psi. Reread you post I see it a 2013 date code should not be an issue.
I dont rent out space in my brain

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Akuret tires on skid steer loaders, farm tractors, pay loaders, fork lifts over the road flat bed trailers and Semi tractor & trailer, with excellent results. National Tire is a full line manufacturer (in business for 75 plus years) a division of Del-Nat A private label company from the 30's. If not out of date range and no visible problems I would have them balanced and run them. I did have a semi tire pick up a sliver of a blade and cut the face open they replaced mounted at no charge no questions asked.
I dont rent out space in my brain

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
What is the actual empty weight on your trailer axles ?
If that weight is 50 % of the sum of the sidewall ratings of your current tires you should be good to go .
If you want to go all the way in a 15 inch tire then :
Goodyear Cargo G26 sized 225 /70 R 15 with a sidewall rating of 2450 # each and a 99 mph speed rating .
All graded on a tougher LT scale rather than the weaker ST scale .
I would go to the goodyear site and compare all of the specifics between the G26 Cargo , the Marathon and your Akurett .
If you have plenty of reserve capacity there is no reason to switch now .
But maybe at replacement time .