cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resealing roof ?

mudbud255
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought our first TT. Bought it from a dealer. Done with tent camping. It's a 2008 Explorer 29BHS by frontier. Never owned a TT before, the unit is in excellent shape inside looks like brand new, but just wondering are you suppose to reseal the roof or anything other than just keep it clean/free of debris. All the caulk or sealant (I don't know what they use) looks good to me, just want this to last. Do I need to reseal anything yearly? It is not under cover now, but will build something in the future to keep it out of the weather. Thanks for any advice
10 REPLIES 10

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
Get the trailer under that cover as soon as you can. I think sun damage is the reason some roofs have to be resealed every year or so. My JayFeather is 10 years old this year and I haven't put any additional Dicor on the roof yet, since the factory stuff is still bonding tightly without cracks, voids, etc. But, I keep my trailer under a roof, so the sun can't reach it except when I'm out camping, which is a relatively few days a year.

I saw a model just like mine at a dealer's when it was about five years old. It had obvious cracks in the roof sealant. I'm sure it was due to spending those five years under the sun without a roof cover for shade. In that case, that roof should have been resealed with self-leveling Dicor, but the owner obviously didn't look. As a result, that trailer did show signs of water damage inside, which was the reason I looked at the roof and saw the cracks.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Worth every penny of $350 if it prevents water damage. Lazy Days offers package deals for services. I don't see a roof service only option. Odd placement of the jack stand under the axle in the picture. I like the idea of pealing the old sealant off and applying all new sealant.

https://www.lazydays.com/rv-service/towable-rv-maintenance-packages
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I had camping world preform a pressure leak test and fix one leaky roof corner. I think it was about $350 all said and done.

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
Can I ask how much the dealer charged to re-seal all four corners of the roof and an entire vent ?

is it $200-$300 or closer to $1,000 ?

I'm considering starting bringing mine in instead of doing it myself.

I have been using eternabond and dicor, but wondering if the dealer would do a better job. ..

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
I try and get my trailer into the dealer for a bubble test every year where they pressurize the trailer with a fan and spray a soapy solution over all the seals and joints. Sure enough, every year there's some spots that need attention, even on the roof.

One year the sealant on all four corners of the roof needed redone as well as the entire skylight seal. I usually pay the shop to seal everything up they find, which gets spendy, but it's a lot cheaper than having to perform a major structural repair or scrap the trailer entirely because of dry rot.
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Down here in the hot Florida sun, I have to add a little Dicor sealant every couple of years. About every 4 years, I replace the vent lids. If you keep a check on it, it'll last a long time. The chalk is normal as the roof ages. I don't clean mine with anything but water. Some cleaners can actually shorten the life of the roof.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once a year, I clean mine using spic and span liquid and then put a rubber roof protectant on it. (You can get it at any Rv place) While I am up there, I always inspect any joints that might need fixing

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
just clean it. you and always put a sealer on it but not necessary. a few times a year make sure you go up and look around for any issues but the roof should last at least 20 years without any problems.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
For roof repairs and maintenance, use Eternabond and Dicor Self Leveling Sealant.

They're both great products. Shop around for the best price.
As previously said, inspect your roof one or two times a year for any potential leaks or problems. Loose or missing caulk, etc..

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have to worry about resealing the roof for at least 10 years unless the RV has been abused or in really severe weather area.

I would inspect the sealant, joints and roofing material at least once per year and clean it every 6 months.

I just use a long handled brush that attaches to my hose. Nothing but clean water and scrubbing with the soft brush. It looks like brand new.