Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Researching Before 1st Purchase

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All!

Last year I started getting it in my head that I wanted to get a travel trailer, and have been doing a good bit of research. The wife has finally started coming around to the idea, and I'm ramping up my search a bit before she changes her fool mind again.

I'm currently somewhere between a Forest River and Trail Runner for my search. Bunk House model (2 kids plus friends), around 30ft. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 that will be used to pull it, which is why I want to stay on the short side of 30'.

Looking for some feedback on TOTAL cost of ownership. Obviously I know that there is the monthly payment for the trailer itself. However what other costs should I expect to incur on a semi-regular basis, or up front? So far I have figured out:
Monthly payment
Insurance
Registration
Campground fees
Brake kit for truck

What else is there? I know we'll probably have to stock it to get a working pantry and bedding. Not sure we'll want a TV right away. Are there any other vital pieces I need for the trailer operation?

I appreciate any feedback or information you folks could pass on. Wife and I want to make sure we do this right, and don't over or under budget what we want. Looking for a trailer that has some creature-comforts so we don't get pissed and trade it for something bigger in 2 years, but don't need a Class A that could haul around a rock band.

Thanks in advance!

Brad
41 REPLIES 41

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
bmhicks78 wrote:
I'm also cheap and wouldn't hate saving $8k.

You can save way more than that on a used 30' TT. I traded in a 2 year old 34' TT and got way less than half what I paid for it new. :S
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, buying used will definitely save you a lot of money and most likely frustration. A fair proportion of new trailers seem to have quite a few warranty issues and may leave you without the use of the trailer for considerable lengths of time. Most used trailers have already been through this process and will not need , or have, warranty issues/repairs. If you bought something reasonably new, less than 5 years old, the maintenance issues will be tolerable and probably not expensive as trailers go. If you decide to buy used get a good inspection if possible.
We bought ours used and have not regretted it.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
And back to the payload thing. Calculating your tongue weight of the RV is important. Best to weigh, but for a ballpark figure 10-15% of the trailer's weight as tongue weight. Add 1000lbs for gear before you do that calculation. Otherwise everything but a 150# driver and a full tank of gas counts toward that payload.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the other camp, I wouldn't buy used especially if you do not plan on doing a lot of work to fix the things needed. If you have to pay to fix the cost will go out of control. Buying used you need to look at so many things; roof problems, wall damage, change the mattresses, how did they take care of the tanks (fresh, hot water, grey, black), beware of the great deals. Also if you are financing those costs are higher percentage and loans are short. Would not waste money on warranty plans.

New you get a good base to start from to making it your own, financing is much lower and can go for 15 years maybe more. I do not really count the interest because you get to right that off as you do your house. But remember like others are saying you need to like it a use it until the wheels fall off to make it count. Do not think you can sell in in the next 5 years and get your money back.

Happy RV'ing
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, tow rating is meaningless. Payload is what counts. Weight distribution and sway control. If you have a towing package already you most likely have a brake controller built in.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer accessories may be included when buying used. If new, the dealer may "throw in" a cheap sewer hose and electric adapter.... You will still want to buy a better sewer hose, fresh water hose, possibly 30amp (if that is what the tt has) extension cord, blocks/pads for the stabilizer jacks, wheel chocks, leveling blocks (possibly 2x10's or ???) to level the trailer side to side before unhitching.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
- Maintenance, inspect and recaulk the roof every year, wash and wax, general fixes, anti-freeze for winterization, chlorine for sterilizing, rubber gloves for dumping, black water hose, fresh water hose, etc.,, etc., etc.
- Storage fees?
- Additional gas for the tow vehicle (you can figure you will get no more than 210 mpg).

All in all, owning a RV is not cheaper than staying in a hotel, it's just different. They won't let you roast marshmallows over a campfire in the lobby of the hotel.

If one gets 210mpg it shouldn't be to expensive owning an RV!!! Lol

Plan on maybe 10-12mpg!!!

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!!!

Regarding the "tow rating of 11,200lbs", disregard it!!! The downside to 1500/150 trucks (suv's also!) is they always run out of PAYLOAD before reaching that marketing tow rating....

Look inside the drivers door jamb for a yellow payload sticker. "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". That amount and the rear axle rating is the two things you need to watch the closest. The payload amount uncludes all passengers, all accessories: topper/Steph bars/mud flaps/ bed liner/etc, any cargo in the cab or bed: coolers/firewood/bikes/etc, the wdh, AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight)!!! How much does the family weigh? Any accessories added to the truck? What do you anticipate carrying in the bed weight wise? Subtracting those amounts from the payload listed on the yellow sticker will give you an idea what is left for the wdh (~60-100lbs) and the tw.

If looking at used, check the tires age!!! Will be listed as a four digit number when they were made: 3313- 33rd week of 2013. Average tire life is 3-5yrs for trailer tires. Not knowing if they were ran at the proper air pressure, or decent speeds (higher speed hurts st tires) you probably should consider new tires. A lot of st tires are speed rated to 65mph. Though some newer tires do have a higher rating. Don't forget the spare tire!!!

Make sure all the appliances works on both gas and electric (if so equipped). Look for water stains and soft spots in the floor, walls, and ceiling. In storage areas also.

If you need to buy a wdh, look for one with an integrated sway control. Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good ones. Follow the links in my signature for a ton of wdh info!!! Once the trailer is loaded up, you will need to adjust the wdh to your truck even if already set up by the previous owner.

Good luck!!!

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, yeah, storage fees. Forgot...found that. I found a place that is $60/mo, but have a buddy that might let me keep it on his property. Though, it wouldn't be secure, so not sure how much I love that.

Maintenance of a TT is something that is beyond me right now. I have to do some research on that and watch some YouTube University. I am pretty sure I can do everything, except the roof.

Hoses don't come with the TT generally???

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
- Maintenance, inspect and recaulk the roof every year, wash and wax, general fixes, anti-freeze for winterization, chlorine for sterilizing, rubber gloves for dumping, black water hose, fresh water hose, etc.,, etc., etc.
- Storage fees?
- Additional gas for the tow vehicle (you can figure you will get no more than 10 mpg).

All in all, owning a RV is not cheaper than staying in a hotel, it's just different. They won't let you roast marshmallows over a campfire in the lobby of the hotel.

bmhicks78
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2014 v8 w/ towing package. Should give me 16,700 lbs GCWR and 11,200lb tow capacity.

I need to verify by looking at my door sticker, but I'm 99% sure I have the 5.3L v8 w/ towing package...at least that's what those extra buttons in the cab make me think ๐Ÿ™‚

Don't disagree about used though. Only concern with used is interest rate since we will be financing, but haven't fully researched that yet. While I like "new and mine!", I'm also cheap and wouldn't hate saving $8k.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on year you probably do not have enough truck to tow that much trailer. Once you load the truck with family and stuff your available payload could be as low as 4-500 pounds.
Second, never and I repeat NEVER buy new as a first time buyer. Depreciation can kill you when your dreams go up in smoke and you try to sell it on. Instead, start looking for something around 4 to 5 years old and keep it to around 25 feet and under 7000 GVWR.