cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ride quality ideas for a F-350?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, my tow vehicle is a F-150. It rides quite well. I'm planning to trade it in for a F-350 (SB, Scab) that will be my daily driver, but is beefy enough to handle a truck camper. However, with the heavy springs, I'm pretty sure ride quality is going to be "stagecoach" level, and I have a relative I often take places who is sensitive to bouncy rides, so even though for me, I can deal with a bone-shaker, but for her, it would make life miserable.

Is there a way to improve unloaded ride quality on a F-350 without sacrificing weight carrying capability? There is always the age old trick of tossing stuff in the truck bed, but due to storage being an extreme premium right now for me, that isn't really a good fix. I am thinking airbags, and maybe even dropping the air pressure in the tires right above where the TPMS would start alerting, but wonder if there is a better way to do this.
31 REPLIES 31

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
My better half has back issues so ride is important. Air bags did help the ride both loaded (20-25#) and empty (5-8#). RR tracks and pot hole are the biggest offenders.

I am interested in an air ride conversion but don't have the dollars at this point.

Example

That looks like a neat kit.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford TPMS will go off at about 75% of sticker rating so that is about 60 psi rear for a 350. All the end user can train is position. By training the wheels backwards front to rear and running the pressures down at 65 front and 55 rear one could probably keep the TPMS from going off. Some dealers will set the trip limit down, but others will not because of liability, and it definitely takes a program change.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
dlk wrote:
I dropped the rear tire pressure to 65 to match the front as the truck was empty until camping season, only went a little ways and the tpms alerted me to a low tire, tpms is set for 80 rear 65 front.

Did you do a " reset"......?????......should end your issue.....Look it up in your owners guide.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

dlk
Explorer
Explorer
I dropped the rear tire pressure to 65 to match the front as the truck was empty until camping season, only went a little ways and the tpms alerted me to a low tire, tpms is set for 80 rear 65 front.
Dan & Pam UP of Michigan
F 350 Fx4 Keystone Sprinter

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TucsonJim wrote:
ah64id wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
On my F350, there is no "airing the rear tires down". The placard calls for 80psi all the time. But I don't mind the ride. I only notice how stiff it is when I'm on a really bad road or when I'm going over a speed bump. I would not hesitate to use it as my daily driver.

Then that's your choice, the tire manufacturer would tell you that you are overinflated running 80 psi empty and are more prone to road hazard tire failures.

Are you sure there isn't a second sticker? Maybe on a different part of the door?

It's not a choice, and you're guessing what the tire mfg will say based on your lack of information. There is only one placard. 65PSI front, 80PSI rear. That is also what the dealer sets it to when he does the service on it.

Those pressures are a great recipe for outer edge wear on fronts and center wear on rears when unloaded.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say for sure with a newer unit, but certainly my 2000 7.3 is a beast. It calms down a lot if I turn the Rancho 9000 shocks down to the softest ride. Scared the heck out of me one time when I loaded up the camper and forgot to turn up the shocks though. What a difference.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to try the new Ram with the Monoleaf and Air suspension. I know it is just coming out, but worth a try.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TucsonJim wrote:
On my F350, there is no "airing the rear tires down". The placard calls for 80psi all the time. But I don't mind the ride. I only notice how stiff it is when I'm on a really bad road or when I'm going over a speed bump. I would not hesitate to use it as my daily driver.

Use the tire inflation chart based on your load that is what they are for.

If you don't want to do that enjoy the rough ride, less traction when braking and poor tire wear.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:

Then that's your choice, the tire manufacturer would tell you that you are overinflated running 80 psi empty and are more prone to road hazard tire failures.

Are you sure there isn't a second sticker? Maybe on a different part of the door?

It's not a choice, and you're guessing what the tire mfg will say based on your lack of information. There is only one placard. 65PSI front, 80PSI rear. That is also what the dealer sets it to when he does the service on it.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
My better half has back issues so ride is important. Air bags did help the ride both loaded (20-25#) and empty (5-8#). RR tracks and pot hole are the biggest offenders.

I am interested in an air ride conversion but don't have the dollars at this point.

Example
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
The single biggest way to help the ride of a 1ton, as mentioned, is running the tires at the proper pressure for the load. When I was running 17" LRE tires that was 60/40 empty and 70/80 loaded. 70/80 empty caused uneven rear tire wear and a harsh ride.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Bedlam
KD4UPL wrote:
Not to start a brand war but if ride quality is a big consideration you might test drive a GM 3500. In my experience the ride is much nicer than the comparable Ford products.

X2 - The GM trucks ride softer than my Ford or friend's Ram.

Choice of seats might make a difference in what your bottom feels...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think you will be surprised how good the 350 rides, when you try it out. My 250 has factory ordered HD service suspension. It has heavier front coils, and 4 leaf rear springs.

On the door panel it says 75#s in front tires, 80#s in rear, which is what I run, most of the time. It is not a daily driver, but used for towing several trailers.

I think it rides and handles great! When you go over rough RR tracks or a big pot hole, not so good. Most cases, it will ride better than you think.

Jerry