cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roofing questions.

captainkirk1856
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 TTs, due to finding one with lots more room, quad bunks, and having a better TV. My other trailer sits idle, and I have several ideas of renovating it down the road. I have researched and tried to find as much info as I can on options. This topic relates to the roof.

About 2 years ago, we discovered some nasty water damage at the back of the rig. We ended up taking the siding off, and rebuilt the entire back wall, part of the front wall, about 8 feet of floor, and some of the roof, including 4 beams. Definitely a learning experience, but it's nothing I would be scared of if I had to do it again. It has the EPDM roof, same roof since it was built in 2006. I know I could do a new roof job with afresh roll of EPDM rubber, but I was wondering what else there is and how it works.

I know about TPO, similar is some ways to the EPDM. I have a metal shop nearby that I could likely get a full, one-piece sheet for the roof. How does a roof like that translate to the molding across the top of the trailer that covers and holds the rubber roof in place? The rubber roof folds over the edges and that molding is attached through the rubber, and into the wood at the top of the wall frame. Would the aluminum fold at the edge and go there also, then have to be sealed with lap sealant as it currently does? At the front, would it just be screwed down and then have sealant blobbed there as well? I have tried to find pictures of cargo trailers, semi trailers, new and old RVs of various types, just to get a glimpse at how it is done.

Anyone with experience or own something with a metal roof, any pics and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

GACamper
Explorer
Explorer
We had our roof done by RV Flex Armor (rvroof.com). It is a impressive product. Roof is completely sealed, no more caulking or worrying about seams. We can tell a big difference in the roof insulation & sound proofing. Having a worry free roof is a very good feeling. :C
The down side for us is the finished product (cosmetic appearance) is nothing like they advertise. Kind on the fence on recommending having this done for the price they charge.
2013 Montana 3800RE
RV FlexArmor sprayed RV roof..Big Improvement!
A/C, Color TV and a Microwave...Isn't Nature Great?
04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 5.9L

captainkirk1856
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I am amazed at the amount of responses to this thread already. Thanks to all that have answered so far.

I watched a video advertising the RV Armor where they come to you and prep your roof, and roll the stuff on in stages. That stuff looks great, but I am curious about pricing. I seen someone say $170 per linear foot.

I do have an interior remodel in mind, but that isn't a priority right now.

I stopped at my parents' house and looked at an old cargo trailer earlier today. The roof is metal, and it came down to the molding strips on the side, that look the same as my trailer has. I felt the edges in several spots, and it didn't seem to have sealant there. The roof had panels on top as well, but it is an old trailer in not-so-super shape.

I can pick up a roll of the EPDM roof membrane for about $225 I think. Again, this is feeling out the possibilities there. I have watched a video on youtube of a homemade trailer a guy made with the burgundy metal roofing, but it doesn't show the roof and how it is sealed up. He tubed up a frame on a utility trailer, about 16', then used that metal all around. He says it does fine for them.

When I eventually dive into the remodel project, I will have done plenty of research on roofing, as well as interior mods and possibilities. I wanna do it well, and do it right.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I would say in our opinion after looking at both RV Flex Armor and RV Armor there was a clear and superior difference in favor of RV Armor. They come to you and again in our opinion they have a better product. They aren't cheap but they take away all worries about roof leaks.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
edatlanta wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Look into RV-Armor. It appears to be similar to bed liner, applied to the roof. Someone here got their rig redone in RV Armor and loved it.

I had my roof done by RV Flex Armor early this year (rvroof.com). This is a sprayed on 2 part polymer and is done in their enclosed facility after they remove everything from the roof.

There is another company called RV-Armor (rv-armor.com) that does the job at your site and does not remove all roof items such as a/c's etc. They roll on the material vs spray.

I have no experience with the rv-armor process, but I do with rvroof.com. The RV Flex Armor process is absolutely fantastic in my first hand experience.

I have stated before that after my failed rubber roof material after 5 years service I will never have another rubber roof again other than the time it takes to tow it to a RV Flex Armor install facility. Yes, I would put it on a brand new rubber roof. After the install there is no more caulking EVER.

Sorry, I was referring to Eedatlanta's roof but confused the name. I didn't realize they were different companies. OP, ignore the link I sent you and refer to RV Flex Armor. Find edatlanta's thread on the matter on these forums for more info about it. It looks like a great product.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Look into RV-Armor. It appears to be similar to bed liner, applied to the roof. Someone here got their rig redone in RV Armor and loved it.

I had my roof done by RV Flex Armor early this year (rvroof.com). This is a sprayed on 2 part polymer and is done in their enclosed facility after they remove everything from the roof.

There is another company called RV-Armor (rv-armor.com) that does the job at your site and does not remove all roof items such as a/c's etc. They roll on the material vs spray.

I have no experience with the rv-armor process, but I do with rvroof.com. The RV Flex Armor process is absolutely fantastic in my first hand experience.

I have stated before that after my failed rubber roof material after 5 years service I will never have another rubber roof again other than the time it takes to tow it to a RV Flex Armor install facility. Yes, I would put it on a brand new rubber roof. After the install there is no more caulking EVER.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Heiny57
Explorer
Explorer
Aqua-Andy wrote:
The metal roof sounds interesting. I used commercial rubber roofing purchased from Harvey industries (a nation wide building supplier). The dealers I called all wanted at least $700 for twenty five feet of roof material, Harvey was $225 for the material and a five gallon bucket of adhesive. The RV specific roofing material was .007" thick the product from Harvey was .035" thick. Three years and no issues yet.

X2 on commercial rubber roof and glue.

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
Look at RV Armor. There's an article in the June issue of Trailer Life Magazine. It says it has a life time transferable warranty. worth checking out.
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Mobile homes and campers had metal roofs for many years. You will need to study up on how to connect to the side wall to minimize leakage. It can be done.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a member of this Forum has done a continuous sheet metal roof, BobsYourUncle is his handle.
I have a seamed aluminum roof. On mine the metal roof sheathing ends at the siding, no lapping. The butyl seal and the roof trim seal it on the roof's edge. I found that is leak prone so covered the trim with Etermabond WebSeal to the rooftop.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:

We had our roof done by Rv Armor. Great job and it makes it much quieter inside. If you want details that are more specific send me a PM.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Aqua-Andy
Explorer
Explorer
The metal roof sounds interesting. I used commercial rubber roofing purchased from Harvey industries (a nation wide building supplier). The dealers I called all wanted at least $700 for twenty five feet of roof material, Harvey was $225 for the material and a five gallon bucket of adhesive. The RV specific roofing material was .007" thick the product from Harvey was .035" thick. Three years and no issues yet.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS