cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV SOLAR GENERATOR

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I'm recovered from Hurricane Irma. My current generator is only useful if and when i could find gasoline. I actually had alot of gasoline already stored on my property, but it still didn't last very long. Anyone ever try a solar generator?

I have been researching many different ones. I only found 1 that could be added onto without mods and comes with a 30amp plug built right in.

"INERGY... KODIAK...SOLAR...GENERATOR"
(Had to add the ... in the name / auto correct keeps correcting the word engery.

Has anyone ever used this generator and can share their experience. I found one on sale for $1500. Normally $2000. Not a casual investment for me.
32 REPLIES 32

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
The funny thing is I probably have a good way to get around the grid tie requirement, religious grounds. There are plenty of Amish is Ohio and PA who live without any grid connection but use solar and/or wind power. Their religion does not allow them to have connections to the outside world so no power, phone, water, etc lines that make them dependent on others. In fact I'm sure the Amish in Pinecraft FL don't have their houses connected to the grid.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
.....50 gallon will only last a few days.

I have a 5500 watt generator I have used in the case of power outages. The detachable 6 gallon tank will provide a day's power. I don't have the load center configured for the generator. I use extension cords to power fridges, a freezer, TV's, computers, and lights. Typically, power outages happen in the Summer so may also use some fans for comfort. The last "outage" we had snapped the TV cable off the poles so I moved into my trailer for a couple of nights to watch broadcast TV. It was just like camping, lol.

Trying to store a lot of gasoline in balmy FL may have some obstacles. In some municipalities there are probably restrictions as to how much you can have on your property re: Fire Marshall's concerns. In FL, an owner would have to use some fuel stabilizer or suffer the wrath of old fuel.
Propane or diesel would be a better storage solution for fuel.

One thing I noticed after running an open frame generator for days is that the constant noise is a drag. There is no better feeling than, when power is restored, to turn that beast off and enjoy the peace and quiet again.

In some areas it may be possible to go "outlaw" and devise an alternative power plan. I imagine this would be a large bank of batteries, an inverter, and surreptitious solar module deployment. I'm not advocating anyone break any laws but emergency conditions may mean emergency measures.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Florida will be first to go under as the ice melts....

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Read this. The actual law says that if you connect to the Grid you must have an automatic cutoff in case the grid shuts down. Florida law forbids any entity—including homeowner associations—from prohibiting the installation of solar or other renewable energy devices on Florida buildings. An association may require approval of a system installation, and may establish restrictions for installations. You obviously are misinformed. I found this in .5 seconds on the internet.

Don't believe everything you read online

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Read this. The actual law says that if you connect to the Grid you must have an automatic cutoff in case the grid shuts down. Florida law forbids any entity—including homeowner associations—from prohibiting the installation of solar or other renewable energy devices on Florida buildings. An association may require approval of a system installation, and may establish restrictions for installations. You obviously are misinformed. I found this in .5 seconds on the internet.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
RvNewbieFl wrote:
Now that I'm recovered from Hurricane Irma. My current generator is only useful if and when i could find gasoline. I actually had alot of gasoline already stored on my property, but it still didn't last very long. Anyone ever try a solar generator?

I have been researching many different ones. I only found 1 that could be added onto without mods and comes with a 30amp plug built right in.

"INERGY... KODIAK...SOLAR...GENERATOR"
(Had to add the ... in the name / auto correct keeps correcting the word engery.

Has anyone ever used this generator and can share their experience. I found one on sale for $1500. Normally $2000. Not a casual investment for me.

What does it do? Looks like a big lithium battery from the specs.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
RvNewbieFl wrote:
Now that I'm recovered from Hurricane Irma. My current generator is only useful if and when i could find gasoline. I actually had a lot of gasoline already stored on my property, but it still didn't last very long. Anyone ever try a solar generator?

IMHO, that "solar generator" thing IS A SCAM !

So I believe the OP's goal is to utilize the generator (unknown make/model) in his TT to power at least some of his house. Storing 50 gallons of gasoline SAFELY on any residential property is a challenge and requires that the fuel be "rotated" (dump one 5 gallon can into your vehicle per month and then refill that can) and as stated, 50 gallon will only last a few days.

1. Determine what are the MANDATORY loads in your house. Refrigerator, some lights, TV/radio, computer, phone charger, fan, coffee pot, microwave, etc. Remember not all of those need to be running at the same time ! Add up the number of watts of what you want to run AT THE SAME TIME ! My guess is this number is less than 3000W, maybe less than 2000W.
  2. If you live in FL, air conditioning is close to mandatory, but there is an alternative, but more on this later.
  3. If you RV generator is above that number and you don't have an inverter generator, you are wasting fuel ! Buy a smaller inverter generator !
  4. Get a generator for your RV that runs on propane.
  5. Get a VERY LARGE propane tank installed on your property with the proper connections to run the generator in your RV

So you live in FL and you want to be comfortable in your house while waiting for the power to come back, but you don't have the money for a "whole home" generator system.

1. Know how to urn off the breaker for your main A/C.
  2. Choose a bedroom in your house where you can live until the power comes back on.
  3. Buy a small 5000/8000 BTU window air conditioner and install it in one of the bedroom windows. Keep the door closed.
  4. Consider buying a second smaller refrigerator so you can move just a few items into it. Have a party with the extra food !
  5. Install a generator interlock on your breaker panel.

After the hurricane, hook up the generator to your big propane tank and run the power cord from your RV generator to your house.
Flip the interlock on the main breaker panel. Believe it or not THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
WOW !! There are a lot of half-truths going on around here !

time2roll wrote:
During an outage any properly installed solar will AUTOMATICALLY disconnect from the grid.

TRUE

time2roll wrote:
Same situation applies for any generated power. No backfeed is permitted. Must have a transfer switch ...

... or generator interlock which also prevents the generator from backfeeding.

time2roll wrote:
There most certainly are solar/battery interconnect systems that will continue to operate your home during a power outage.

The only solar/grid tie/battery/inverter interconnect that I have seen only provide power out of a receptacle that is built in to the controller/inverter. Only a small amount of power is typically available (less than 20A @120V). If you want to feed that into your house via a generator interlock or a generator transfer switch, this is SAFE AND LEGAL !

time2roll wrote:
And if for some political reason the local utility or city does not allow even a proper system then you are out of luck on the home... focus on the RV to be usable off grid. Even if the solar does not fully provide a solution it will certainly extend the available gasoline.

I can not speak for every state or local municipality, but some places DO require that your house be connected to the grid (and therefore receive a monthly bill) REGARDLESS OF HOW LITTLE POWER YOU ACTUALLY CONSUME !

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
So back to the original issue... thats a lot of money for a battery and very small inverter. The price may actually be decent... but it's still a lot of money. You would still need solar panels. Then after getting solar panels, you will have very little usable energy. For about the same money you can get a 4000-5000 watt propane generator and 3 or 4 100 lbs propane tanks. That would be enough fuel to run your generator for at least a week, if not 2 weeks. The propane could be stored essentially forever.

I'm sure you can even rent a larger propane tank for relatively cheap. Propane can be delivered within a relatively short period after a storm, meaning that even if you only have 2 weeks reserve, you can survive longer due to delivery.

When you consider the cost of buying that suitcase and an array, I still think the propane is cheaper and gives you more benefit.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Park it below an overpass and get a picture of the roof to post.

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
I have no roof area on this RV... its not something I even thought about when I bought it last year. In hindsight that was a huge mistake on my part. Too late now...lol...

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Actually my entire house was built pre thinking about hurricanes. It is Florida. I have the highest cat rating everything I could find. Accept my windows. They are an upgrade I plan to do later. However the structure itself is all concrete with a stucco finish sprayed over it... My home took a direct hit and I barley noticed it. Outside not so lucky ...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
AFAIK, Florida has some of the most restrictive laws on solar generating for residential use. It makes no sense for one of the sunnier climates in the US but the Utilities got their ducks in a row and helped make the regulations rigid.

The Solar Generator you linked to is just a 90AH Lithium battery pack, a 120V inverter, and a case to carry it all in. It won't run much on 120V for very long. A propane powered generator will get you out of the gas lines after a storm but it, too, will eventually run out. Storage is going to be key to what you need. IMO, storing Propane in steel tanks is easier than storing gasoline. You'll have to do the math to how much you need to stockpile.

If you want RV solar, that is surely easy to do, you're only limited by roof area or what you wish to haul. FWIW, I have a 235W panel and 300AH of battery capacity. As long as the Sun shines, the system powers my 120V fridge and 120V entertainment gear, along with my modest 12V loads. I am thinking of adding more in anticipation of using a small 120V A/C window unit for a few hours a day. Up here, in MN, an A/C is hardly needed but it occasionally gets hot and humid. Nice thing about the Keys is there is usually a breeze. If you can stay clear of A/C, RV solar is easy and a good upgrade.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a long way between what is illegal and what people think is illegal.

The problem with solar these days is it feeds the grid directly. The grid goes down and you can still be feeding it. Therefore a lineman can get shocked. That may be why some solar setups are illegal. That does not include the endless home owner associations covenants.

In theory the same it true of a generator if you do not open the power company's main feed line at the fuse box.

If you have the type of solar power system that feeds a battery bank and uses and inverter to coverts the battery power to AC inside your house, you may be free standing and independent of the commercial lines, depending on how your system is set up.

There are numerous types of solar systems available these days, so it is hard to judge.

If your neighborhood is struck by a hurricane why would you expect a solar collector to withstand the storm. Likewise, a solar unit big enough to power your TT essentials is doable. A solar electric system big enough to power your TT's air conditioner in the Keys, may be not.

Without shade or electricity, in the sun my TT becomes a large Easy Bake oven. 🙂

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.