Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sad news from Janet Curley...

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Ben and Tory,

This is Janet. I very much regret having to tell you that Don passed away on February 12th due to a pulmonary embolism. It was very sudden and a big shock, and I still cannot believe it. Don enjoyed sharing and trading "words of wisdom" with many people on several forums. Don was a very special person and I know he will be missed by many. We had been married for 33 years and I have a wealth of wonderful memories. Don grew up in Southern California and I plan to take his ashes there at a later date.

Janet Curley

Tory & Don at Yankee Boy Basin this past September

Tory & Janet

Don Janet and Steve in 29 camping off Salt Vally Road Moab UT

Tory Don Janet & Shin Arches NP

Don & Steve discussing a geological feature at Arches NP

Steve Shin Tory Lynn & Dave night before starting the White Rim Trail with Don & Janet in the lead. Dave & Lynn were off to Top of The World Trail the next morning.

Thanks for the memories Don...

White Rim Trail

San Juan Mountains trip report...

Ben & Tory
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon
72 REPLIES 72

Testudo
Explorer
Explorer
I regret your loss, Janet. But, most of all, I'm sorry for _our_ loss. Don was a great friend to everyone on these pages. A tireless experimenter and innovator. He was a heck of a DODGE RAM driver. One of the greatest OUTFITTER customizers of all time.

I always thought I would eventually get around to stopping by and seeing Don in La Sal when I was passing by his neighborhood. We have camped quite a bit on Hatch Point and Squaw Flats in past years. But as fate would have it, I haven't been back to the Canyon Lands since 2010, and now the chance has past.

I haven't looked in on the RV.net for a long time but I sensed a "disturbance in the force", and decided to investigate. Don shall be missed. He certainly can't be replaced... or forgotten.
Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
There is no risk in reminding us of either a lost friend, or that life can be cut so suddenly short. Yep, it brings up some sadness as well, but that is OK. I thought about Don a lot last week. I missed him there. He would have fit right in with the whole gang. I do think he would have enjoyed a chuckle at the expense of the guy that swung by on Sunday evening and talked to Steve and I that seemed to think that V=IR isn't really a law, just sort of a rule that can be broken. For one of the rare times in my life.....after a response by this guy......I was.....speechless. I just sort of spread my arms in a Whazoo-like gesture and didn't say a word.

It was great to meet you at the Expo, John. Thanks for the kind words regarding Don. There may be others who missed this the first time around so this may be good to have it borught to the top again.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

chelsea1
Explorer
Explorer
At the risk of reviving a sad post, I was shocked to find out the passing of Don, when I met Brian at the 2013 OX.

I too never met him, but enjoyed his posts as much as many of you that have contributed here. Thanks to Brian for sharing.

RIP.

-john

sf3291
Explorer
Explorer
Brian,

Very well written. From your write up I can see that Don was very much like what I imagined him to be. Someone I can respect, look up to, and given the chance...the kind of person anyone could only be so fortunate to have called a friend and mentor. Thank you.

Janet,

Thank you for sharing Don with us. Like many others, I never met Don, but his presence on rv.net was one I always looked forward to seeing whenever it happened. Like others, I have a few emails and PMs from Don, mostly him sharing details of various projects he undertook that I hoped to someday emulate myself. More than emulating projects, one can only hope to emulate half as well what Don brought to the various communities he participated in.
2007.5 Dodge 6.7L 3500 SRW, SWB 4x4
2007 Outfitter Apex 8

orourkmw
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Brian.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very well written and felt, Brian.

A few years ago, I too started meeting many of the characters here on RV.net and have found the folks I have met, an eclectic group of individuals. The common thread, of course, would be the Truck Camper. But what I have found is that the common thread is a lust for life. Don Curley had been someone I had on my list to meet, but never did. We could all be blessed to have someone write so well and lovingly about us, after we pass and I hope someone would find something nice to say about me too. For that chance, I will work hard to be thought of so well too, with everyone I meet, every day.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Brian,
What a thoughtful and all-encompassing remembrance. I for one am glad you waited until the right moment.
In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum +
Good bye, Don. Go softly into that dark night.

Jean, my queen told me I needed a new black suit. Why would I need a new black suit? I wore a Tux, a black suit, a white dinner jacket, or full dress tails all my playing career in the L.A. Philharmonic. I'm retard now and don't need no stinking black suit. Then she mentioned that we're not getting any younger and our lifelong friends are starting to succumb to the bonds of death and I need a black suit for the service or memorial. oh......oh, I see. It also made me think of the mean age of our good friends on the Truck Camper forum and how we all fit on continuum of the actuary scale. This is not grim news, just news. There's not much we can do about it except go with it. So, I guess it really is: "carpe deum", or seize the day.
I would like TO GO in the TC, grinding all four wheels slowly into the sand, lowering the rig to the frame.
-jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to apologize right up front. One, for waiting so long to post, and two for the length of this post. It didnโ€™t seem right to post right away for some reason (or actually a few of them.) When Janet informed me of the news I could hardly believe it. I spent that entire day plowing and working outside with my skidsteer and thinking of Don the whole time. I know he loved to do those exact same things and it makes you realize just how much pleasure you can get out of simple things. Why life in LaSal Utah could be more rewarding than the โ€œhigh lifeโ€ in the big city. I was so thankful to be able to do it when Don no longer could. I sat down several times to post and I just couldnโ€™t do it and I didnโ€™t want to rush it; he deserves more.

So here goes, starting with a picture from Janet:

Don Curley was my hero.

Or one of them anyway. He was smart, caring, thoughtful, detailed, thorough, adventurous, skilled, funny, clever...the list goes on and on; a lot of traits I admire, but none of those things are why he was a hero of mine. Itโ€™s because of the courage he had to make the right decision to get out of a career that was going to kill him. Orourkmw posted Donโ€™s comments on the scenario in 1999 which is about how I remember him describing it to me in person. I mean, it is like a movie or a proverb or something. โ€œOne day we all walked out of a meeting and Joe fell dead of a heart attack/stroke before he got to his officeโ€. Stress kills quite literally and yet so few people can make a realization of what will happen if they continue the way they are going and even fewer make the hard decision to make a real change. Don and Janet got out in time to enjoy something like 13 years living in the desert, though they hadnโ€™t really had full retirement yet.

I first got to know Don online relatively soon after my dad passed away from cancer. My dad had worked his entire life as a geology professor and loved what he did. On relatively low pay in the big picture, he and my mom raised my brother and I and still managed to sock enough away to provide for them to retire a little early and start with their plans that primarily included travelling in their brand new 5th wheel and truck to pull it around. The first time he splurged on anything big it seems like. They planned on spending time in Florida in the winter, camping in Montana where he taught field geology every summer, exploring all those places they had put on their bucket list, watching his grandkids going through college. Well, their first summer of retirement was when they found his lung cancer. He was a non-smoker, life-long runner and zealously healthy eater. Go figure. Though they were able to make some short trips by getting his medicine shipped to him via FedEx on dry ice by his friends and flying back for chemo treatments at times, they were confined to very short trips and the bottom line is though it was remarkable how long he lasted and kept a good quality of life, they didnโ€™t see their dreams of retirement happen. Despite doing everything in their power to insure they could.

Iโ€™ve certainly done my best to take time to stop and smell roses whenever I can, but losing my dad and seeing how at any moment anybody can have everything change really made an impact on me. I do not want to look back on my life and have regrets and really donโ€™t at this point. But I greatly admire those people that recognize when their lives are going in a direction that isnโ€™t working, and make the painful, scary, risky decision to make the big change.

Jim (of Jimandsue60) had a remarkably similar story of a successful career that was insanely stressful and they finally bailed and took off on their great adventure. I first took note of them because the first time I saw a picture of their giant Arctic Fox on a flatbed F550 with storage boxes and an enclosed trailer with mtn. bikes, dirt bikes and assorted gear...I knew that was the kind of rig I wanted....our dream rig. As I got to know Jim better I learned his story he also became a hero of mine for the exact same reason as Don โ€“ the courage to make the right decision that most others would look at and think they were crazy.

I also simply really liked Don. He was guy that I could sit for hours around a campfire and talk about anything with...heโ€™d be in my campfire ring-of-fame if there was such a thing. He had a depth of knowledge about an amazing number of things and was always eager to share what he knew as well as learn what he could from you. Unfortunately, I only got to see him in person twice. The first time was something of a meet and greet, at their house. Meeting people you have only known online is always something of a risk. Itโ€™s kind of a leap out the safety zone. I guess we had gotten to know each other well enough to give it a test. It was great to stop by their place in the desert on my way back from a business trip to Arizona and we pretty much hit it off right away. Iโ€™m definitely a night owl so I had to be careful to not keep them up all night and make sure to bid them good night at the appropriate time. I remember sitting at their kitchen table thinking how cool it is to get to know these people (both of them) from having mutual online interests. Itโ€™s also nice when the way people seem to be online is really who they are in person too. I think was Don was always Don no matter the context or โ€œforumโ€. He didnโ€™t back down, but also clearly stated himself and separated fact from opinion pretty well. What you see is what you got. One thing that I remember so well from that visit; later that night I was on rv.net, using the Curleyโ€™s wifi and one of those threads came up where the 12v fridges became the topic. Don gave his standard informative comments and said how it worked for HIM and then a few others jumped in and peed & moaned about how they are terrible, not appropriate for anybody and simply junk (slight exaggeration by me.) Don hadnโ€™t said they are better for anybody but himself and I know those kind of โ€œputting words in his mouthโ€ posts really irked him and he hastily replied that I guess they are junk and he was going to go out right then and pull it out and throw it awayโ€ฆ..to which I was able to post โ€œWell Don, if you are going to throw it away, Iโ€™ll go ahead and take it off your hands right now, I am outside in your driveway to pick it up.โ€ ? I remember laughing out loud in my camper as we exchanged PMโ€™s back and forth late into the evening.

The other time we met was when some of our friends and we planned a trip to Canyonlands to a part weโ€™ve never been to before and invited Don and Janet to join us. You can see the Trip Report here if you are interested. Youโ€™ll notice he said he was a little concerned about trying to do any joint expeditions with a combination of dirt bikes and 4x4โ€™s worrying about the relative differences in speed and he was probably wondering if we were going to prove to be a gang of crazy dirt bike riders. But we really what we all shared was a love of exploring and it all worked incredibly well. Neither my wife nor my buddiesโ€™ wife had ever been on a serious 4x4 trail like Elephant hill and getting that experience was probably a once-in-a-lifetime thrill. He and Janet were an amazing team. One thing Iโ€™ll also never forget is after having their jeep packed in what I imagine as a 430 step checklist packed by weight and 3 dimensional shape and the likelihood of need for access (there is probably a CAD file somewhere on his PC diagramming it all in 3D)...and when I tentatively asked him if the ladies could ride with them there was no hesitation in saying sure and he proceeded to completely unpack, rearrange (and maybe leave behind the spare U-joints, drive shafts and Swiss Army Couch) and repack to make space for not just one but two passengers. Iโ€™ll always appreciate Don and Janet for making that sacrifice for our ladies.

We talked about a lot of topics on that trip. I remember the timing was nice for him to show us one of the hard to see planets with our binoculars and talk a lot about astronomy. He was beyond the ordinary back yard astronomer....I think literally he had the best observatory setup between Denver and Salt Lake City. One of his goals was to move to the desert and be able to see the stars like he never could in the big city. He probably researched every last little bit he could on putting the whole thing together. The most impressive to me was what went into the base for the scope. The base is a giant column 10โ€™ above ground and that column goes 10โ€™ underground, where there is a giant block of reinforced concrete 10โ€™x10โ€™x10โ€™. You could build a house with all that concrete. He told me a story that cracked me up about when he was having it built. The whole thing has to be built with the right orientation and he had sighted with a compass what direction due north was and to make sure the guys did it right but as they were building it he kept looking and thinking something was wrong. He brought it up to the guys doing the work and they showed him the compass reading and it appeared to be in fact oriented correctly. Iโ€™ve done some underground geologic mapping before and was pleased I was able to guess exactly why it was actually NOT right before he got to the punchline. They were taking the reading too close to the concrete, which had so much rebar in it that it can deflect a compass needle. Walk away further and the needle moved to the real reading. I guess he took the whole thing in stride and compensated elsewhere in the design. I guess I tell that story because it helps understand just how meticulous, detailed and knowledgeable he was and how much he always strived to do things "right." He liked a good puzzle to solve. Especially in all things science or engineering, but he never acted like he knew more than anyone else. He liked to share his knowledge and loved to learn. When a long term country-wide seismic study came sweeping through his area and wanted to setup a station in his area, he not only fully agreed to let them put it on their property, he bought the equipment after the time period elapsed so that his site could continue to be monitored and provide useful data for everyone. One more backyard science hobby for him.
Itโ€™s funny that I donโ€™t remember talking too much geology; I actually remember talking more geology with Janet, who is every bit the eager learner that Don was. We had some great conversations and spent time poring over some geology maps I brought before a couple of the trips. It even inspired me to do a little geology lesson on that trip report.

One other thing I want to mention about that trip; Cathedral Point is something you see on the map and if you look closely you know the view will be phenomenal before getting anywhere near it in person. The kind of thing you see and know you want to go there someday. It was an amazing spot that we all stood in awe of for....a long time. The four of us all wanted to someday camp there. Don and Janet did it later that year. I have unofficially renamed it Curley Point from here on out in his honor. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ll ever get my rig quite to the spot, but I WILL return there someday and honor the Curleys in some small way when I do. This picture of Don and I talking there is exactly how I will always see Don in my mind. Studying, discussing, pointing at the physical world around him, with his mind churning away on everything he was taking in. One of Benโ€™s pictures above is almost identical.

Curley Point:

37.980076,-109.723624

Look it up on google maps.....

I exchanged emails with Don just back in January, when I asked him if he was interested in going to the Overland Expo. Thereโ€™s nobody else Iโ€™d rather go with to check out that show than Don. Now Don would have never been accused of having had an economy of words. I share the same affliction. He had some health issues and went to great length explaining them to me complete with xrays and technical terminology for it all. I have some similar issues and as always, I was happy to learn more, and he was happy to share. He was very positive after his surgery and was seemingly doing very well. He told me he had high hopes of being able to gradually get back to hiking and eventually still wanted to climb a few more 14โ€™ers in Colorado including Uncompahgre Peak not too far from their home. But he felt heโ€™d still be in physical therapy and wouldnโ€™t be able to join us in Flagstaff. But to make a short story long, instead of saying โ€œno, I had surgery and will be in PTโ€ he wrote 3 or 4 pages including โ€œ35 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and descriptions on the back of each oneโ€ as Arlo Guthrie would say. Iโ€™ve read that set of emails several times since and it still makes me smile, laugh and tear up at the same time. That was just 3 or 4 weeks before he passed away suddenly. I still can hardly believe it.

I know a lot of people here on rv.net donโ€™t have any desire to meet any of the fellow members; a lot of us are kind of loner types anyway (overall) and want to get as far away from everything and everyone as possible. Thatโ€™s OK. But as much as I enjoy โ€œgetting out thereโ€ from time to time it is more fun to be sharing it with a few other similar people. Iโ€™ve gone out of my way to meet a few members from rv.net and I have always been glad I did. I have met some remarkable people through rv.net and am richer for it. Iโ€™m sorry I never met SirDrakeJr; I was glad I met Xnorp back in 06. Both of them are gone now and canโ€™t share the campfire except in our memories. Iโ€™d like to meet Clattertruck someday (he gets the TC lifetime achievement award if anybody here does.) But I cannot be more grateful that we met Don and Janet and shared a truly wonderful experience in the desert when we did. Take the chance and the opportunity to meet some of your fellow rv.netters when you can, I doubt you will regret it. I know the trip we shared with Don and Janet will always be a part of our life experience and we will cherish the memories we share.

Don โ€“ thank you for sharing a little piece of your trip through life with us; you will always be a hero to me and you will always be a part of our campfire. I hope I have the courage to make the right decisions, at the right time, like you did.

Janet โ€“ you are always welcome at our hearth or at our campfire any time, any place, or anywhere.

Brian and LaDawn

Caveman55
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss.
DB Pressley
2005 Lance 881
2006 Ford 350 Dually

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
While I have not yet replied to this thread, I have been in touch with Janet and she wished to reply to all of you:

WOW ... I am in awe and overwhelmed as I read all of your kind thoughts and good wishes. I am putting together a scrapbook of memories and this RV.net thread will be a large part of it. I wish you all safe travels and I know Don would want you all to 'keep on truckin' and enjoy the good life! With my sincere appreciation, Janet

BirdSongPlace
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry to hear this news. Please accept my condolences.

2000 Ford F350
2004 Adventurer

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I have not checked in for about a week and am sadden to hear about the loss of Don. I really enjoyed his very informative posts and video's. We are about to order our Hallmark and get the show on the road. I will remember Don fondly in our travels. God bless you Janet, may all your travels with Don give you peace.
GeoBoy

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your loss. I hope that you beautiful memories of 33 years of marriage and your travels will bring you smiles through your grief. You are in my prayers.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Sad news indeed! I go away for a while and lately I'm fearing coming back as some inevitable bad news follows. This is really a shock.
Don was a straight shooting, hard-core TC-er in the widest sense of the term.
I personally will miss his presence here on the forum.
In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar