cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite tv install

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer
We have enjoyed our winter trip this year with out TT, but we have also started making a list of things either we need or need to do differently. One is getting a portable satellite tv set up. We have direct tv at home now and may add internet from them also. What set ups are some of you using? What issues good or bad and how much extra do they charge? Also is a ground mounted unit on a stand or roof mounted better? If roof mounted what all is involved? I can do install myself. My fear is putting holes in roof and a possible leak. I have done some searching but can't seem to find info Im after. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the Winegard Carryout G2 as you can get Direct, Dish or Bell. We use Dish at home so the RV is a $7/month added cost. For us we like college sports so Dish is a better choice than Direct. I went with the satellite antenna that can get both Dish and Direct as they all play the game of giving their best price to those "new to them" customers.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a triple lnb dish & 100 ft. of cable off of craigslist for $20. Built a T-shaped wood platform out of 2x4`s and installed three 12" pieces of all thread for legs to use as a 3 point leveling system. I then took spare reciver from the house and put it in the camper. After setting it up 2 or 3 times I coud set up and aim it in 10-15 minutes.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will have to weigh the cost of adding antenna to your Direct tv or use a dish Network month to month service for the months you actually need service. view 'pay as you go' for pricing of monthly service.
http://www.gotailgater.com/

I use an automatic sat finder Dish Network tailgater portable dish (sometimes trees will block rooftop antennas) with month to month service. I call DN for reception only when I need to use it .
Every time I leave my campsite to go hiking or whatever, I lock up my dish out of site . It takes about 5 mns. to reset the antenna when I return and its all automatic.
It uses one single wire for reception as well as 12v power. Some antenna's use 2 wires.

The tech advised me to install my own thru the wall insulated connector, he said the standard ones used on rvs will burn out over time.

"
Hi-Frquency F81 BARREL CONNECTORS: Packs of 10, 25, 50 and 100
3 GHz High Frequency F81 Barrel Splice Connectors. The internal components are much different from a standard VHF/UHF barrel connector. The center coax conductor indexes into a close-tollerance tube that is resilient (spring) brass and is gold plated. Internally, the center conductor tube is insulated from the inner skin of the barrel by a maximum air gap which results in much less RF loss. Insertion loss is a non-issue."

he gave me the F81 with the blue center. It works fine and I like using the separate connector for a dedicated sat input source.

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/connectors-adapters.html

more info for various systems.
http://www.marxrv.com/sat.htm

KRumm
Explorer
Explorer
What is the model of DirectTV set top box you have at home?... This will affect the type of dish you will need too use...

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in the country with no cable. We get direct tv by satellite. It should work in the TT also.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you frequently stay in places with lots of trees, go with a portable dish antenna. With a 25' or 50' coax you may find a "hole" thru the trees and let you get signal where you may not with a permanent roof mount. With a portable we almost always can find the sats.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Trav'ler antenna and Directv Genie wireless. No problems with the roof install. Only hole in the roof was to feed two coax cables. Our house Directv system is easily transferred to the trailer. Wireless Genie means we don't have to hook up the trailer's coax so we can watch over-the-air tv and satellite at the same time.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have both a Winegard Travler and a tripod mounted oval dish. Both duplicate what is on my roof at home. Instead of getting another receiver I simply bought off EBay two extra remote controls which I leave in my trailer. To go, I grab my Genie, one mini Genie, the video bridge and I am ready to go.

Baja_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I put a Winegard crank-up standard def dish on the roof of my four winds 18 last year. I didn't want to spend over a grand on an HD rooftop dish, and the standard definition image is just fine for what I watch. Direct charges me $15 a month for the standard definition box. A lot of people will recommend a portable dish, with the justification that if you park in the trees you can place the dish out where it has a clear view. There is merit to the argument, but I didn't want to lug around another piece of equipment.
Installation of the rooftop dish is easy and very straight forward. A caulking gun and full tube of Dikor will eliminate any potential leaks. I think the most difficult (if you can call it that) part was cutting the crank up hex shaft to the correct length for the thickness of my roof. Had the whole thing installed in less than 2 hours start to finish. Running the coax into the trailer and sealing up the passthrough took another hour. The instructions that come with the dish are very good.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
my brother-in-law bought the King Flex portable satellite. PPL has it on sale for $396. Easy, plug and play install with a learning curve regarding where to position for clear view of southern sky (no trees or buildings). Or you can get a portable dish and stand cheaper but we found them more difficult to use. Ones on the roof are usually more expensive. You can run the cable through a window or depending on your TT you may be able to hook it up in the service bay if you have a Satellite connection there. Order an extra receiver from Directv. We ordered the basic receiver. I think it's the D12. You won't get HD with that receiver. You will lose local channels when you are about 250 miles from home.
Directv does not have internet via satellite. The internet they offer is through AT&T. Make sure they are talking about wireless internet (wi-fi) and not internet at home.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi