cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scissor Step Problem

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a used Bigfoot 25C96B yesterday and the biggest issue we have is the steps -- they are horrible.

The main problem is that no matter what we do, most of the steps aren't level.

Any suggestions?

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page
51 REPLIES 51

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Mine were too high so I insisted the dealer provide a set of steps with another riser and tread added on. They did that without a grumble since they looked like the pic of stretched out steps on your Bigfoot camper above.

Mine are the same width as the door though making them better that way too. I would insist on a new set better suited to your set up.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
My Glow Steps with custom made hand rail.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my step setup - Torklift Glow Step, Glow Guide, and Boot Brush.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, now I see it.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
The double arms are much stronger and they don't allow the pieces to "twist" under a load.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Photomike wrote:
I have heard mentioned a couple of times about single and double arms and would love to know the difference. Looking at the two pictures I see no difference other than the new ones have one more step.

So someone please tell me the difference?????

Simply, all the horizontal arms are doubled..captureing the verticals-

double bar

single bar
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have heard mentioned a couple of times about single and double arms and would love to know the difference. Looking at the two pictures I see no difference other than the new ones have one more step.

So someone please tell me the difference?????

Please note, the maximum photo width=640.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go wrong with a TorkLift step. With a set of steps as long as yours are, I wouldn't even try the single arm steps. There is just too much chance of failure with that much leverage. Now you need a hand rail. I had to custom make one for my Glow Steps.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Good to see you quit wasting your time scratching your head over those clapped-out old steps and went with a new set.

Those old things were just plain SHOT.

Yeah, but it's so much fun beating the old head against the wall! :h
Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

Our Arctic by RV trip

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good to see you quit wasting your time scratching your head over those clapped-out old steps and went with a new set.

Those old things were just plain SHOT.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

AKsnowcampers
Explorer
Explorer

This worked good for us
2014 Dodge 2500 Quad cab diesel
2008 Travelaire TW250
2010 Yamaha Rhino

Yamaha rhino 700

SteveRankin
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
The TorkLift steps with the double arms make a world of difference when it comes to the strength of the steps. Also, the thin stainless steel washers that they use keep everything from binding.

There's no way I can know how strong or sturdy the previous steps were when new. None the less, the TorkLift steps are very sturdy and sag very little with 200# in the middle of the 6-step model.

bka0721 wrote:
If Bushings are still an issue, Lowes has bushings, by the bushel. Well, maybe not by the bushel, but pretty good quantity and can have more sent in from other stores.

In the hardware section, look for the aisle that has all the horizontal drawers. There is a section that has bushings in nylon, steel, aluminum and brass.

Be careful on those long steps. Do get the handle assist. If not for you, any others that might come visiting.

b

Bushings are no longer an issue. Actually, I'd purchased a supply of bushings, washers and fasteners to repair the original ladder before we went with the new TorkLift.

While I understand your safety concerns, we subscribe to the theory that the best safety device is operator diligence. Besides, truck campers are poorly suited to entertaining visitors, especially when there's 3 dogs on board. And our experience is that 99% of the visiting done when RVing is done outside. Lastly, we bought the Bigfoot to travel to some very remote places where we need to be 100% self-sufficient- anything not absolutely necessary doesn't go.
Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

Our Arctic by RV trip

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
If Bushings are still an issue, Lowes has bushings, by the bushel. Well, maybe not by the bushel, but pretty good quantity and can have more sent in from other stores.

In the hardware section, look for the aisle that has all the horizontal drawers. There is a section that has bushings in nylon, steel, aluminum and brass.

Be careful on those long steps. Do get the handle assist. If not for you, any others that might come visiting.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
The TorkLift steps with the double arms make a world of difference when it comes to the strength of the steps. Also, the thin stainless steel washers that they use keep everything from binding.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper