cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shock absorber tie downs?

Mike_101
Explorer
Explorer
Concerned about lots of sway with new shock absorber style tie downs. Wondering if this normal? Any ideas, pros and cons vs. old turnbuckle style? Thinking of going back to the old ones. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
You don't give any info on your rig, so everyone will be guessing more wildly than normal, or maybe not, but we try to help.

When you talk about sway, I think of truck sway with the camper load.

The cushioned and spring loaded turn buckles won't make any difference in sway with normal driving and turns.

Make sure your tires are fully aired and make sure you don't have too much air in your air springs.(if you have air bags)

The overload springs need to just touch to help with the load.

The one thing that rally helps with sway is a rear sway bar.

Last, if your camper is way too heavy for the springs or tires you'll have sway.
Joe and Evelyn

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ticki2 wrote:
" shock absorber type " is not enough information . What brand and name are they ?

Ditto,

need more specific info
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
" shock absorber type " is not enough information . What brand and name are they ?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
If you use regular turn buckles, with no spring or rubber protection, and go off road, you're likely to pull an eyelet out of the wood camper...
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Are you sure they are adjusted right with the lever arm half across the hole?

Lever arm? Most of the spring loads I've looked at, unless you buy the quick disconnects are hand-tightened drums, similar to a standard turnbuckle.

Be sure you have enough tension on the spring loads, you may not have preloaded the springs on the front enough to keep it secure.

The rears, depending on the manufacturer, don't have any springs in them at all.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you sure they are adjusted right with the lever arm half across the hole?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member