cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I use cruise control while towing a travel trailer

tneff
Explorer
Explorer
Should I use cruise control while towing a travel trailer?

Thank you,
Tom
49 REPLIES 49

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
Are you smarter than the tow vehicle? Are you willing to do the work necessary to save a little fuel? Does your tow vehicle downshift more often than you like to hear? Hilly country, I do the driving, in the flats I let her cruise.

Me too. Still gotta stay on top of it.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I can't wait to get my new TV with exhaust brakes and adaptive cruise. I can't use cruise on my current TV (unless we're on a flat highway), since the constant up/down shifting kills my gas mileage and transmission. Months away from getting my Ram 3500 so that my 04 Ford Excursion can go into retirement.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have the 3.5L Eco Boost in my truck. When I'm pulling, I now I tend to put in Tow/Haul mode, lock out 6th gear, and set the cruise control (weather, traffic, and road type permitting), of course.

itguy08 wrote:
All the time if it's not raining. The computer is much better than I am at keeping the speed especially up and down the hills. Only thing I don't like is sometimes it will race up to 6th only to downshift right away to 5, then 4 or 3 before it figures it out.

Doesn't bother me letting that little 3.5 spin and spin. Doesn't have to much because of the 2 turbos. It's made to run.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

tonyd1
Explorer
Explorer
It's OK to use cruise control as long as your transmission has a manual option and you can control which gear you're in. We have a 2013 Explorer with a 3.6 L V6 and a 6-speed A/T towing a 5000lb Lance. The problem with the A/T is that it tries to keep the rig close to the set point which involves shifting down on the slightest up-hill and shifting down to much lower gears than is necessary. By using manual shift I can keep the cruise control happy most of the time even though the speed drops by 10 mph (or before the cruise control quits). On average I'm in a much higher gear than the cruise control would pick and this lowers the fuel consumption significantly. The downside is that my average speed is lower and I have to listen to the engine or look at the speedometer frequently - but this keeps me alert. As an example, on a level highway I can travel at about 53 mph in 6th gear with the cruise set at 60. In A/T I'd be going 60 mph in 4th gear.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
All the time if it's not raining. The computer is much better than I am at keeping the speed especially up and down the hills. Only thing I don't like is sometimes it will race up to 6th only to downshift right away to 5, then 4 or 3 before it figures it out.

Doesn't bother me letting that little 3.5 spin and spin. Doesn't have to much because of the 2 turbos. It's made to run.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
My new Arctic Fox's manual said not to (they're wussies). :B
Most of the time I don't because I just like to have the control but on long fairly flat stretches I give my foor a break.
Why would anyone listen to a TT manufacturer opining on the vehicle, check the vehicle owners manual and tell the TT manufacturer to put his efforts into actually making a quality product AND instituting a quality warranty

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
My truck does better if I drive like a trucker - let it roll faster down the hills, and a little slower up the hills. If I use my cruise control, it shifts too late starting up a hill and uses more fuel. I only use my cruise control on flat roads.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Acdii wrote:
I use it myself, my only word of advice, depending on the truck, turn it off going up a mountain. I have an F150 EB, my last truck was also one, but had 3.15 gears. I had the cruise set at 65MPH coming out of Denver, hit that first 6% grade and that little EB held the speed limit great, but it got way too hot doing so.

On regular hills, and slight grades up to 5%, the EB with Cruise on will maintain the speed limit, no matter what it is, 55, 65, 75, and will do it going up 6 & 7% grades as well, but best to not use cruise and keep an eye on the trans and coolant temps.

temccarthy1 wrote:

Several of you with Fords mention using " tow mode" I have a 2013 Expedition XLT with 5.4 V8. I see "anti sway" in my set up options but not "tow-mode" Is it there someplace or not available on an Expedition?

Look on the end of your shift knob on the column shifter, if you have tow/haul mode there will be a button there marked as such.

My shifter is on the center console and does not have any tow mode button on it anywhere.

I downloaded your owners manual and found this statement :

If your transmission is equipped with a Grade Assist or Tow/Haul
feature, use this feature when towing. This provides engine braking
and helps eliminate excessive transmission shifting for optimum fuel
economy and transmission cooling.

I noticed that it said ; IF ; maybe you do not have Tow Mode on your vehicle. Check your owners manual more closely then I did and ask you local dealer.

THANKS for taking the time to look that up Caveman! I will check my manual further! Much obliged!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
temccarthy1 wrote:
Acdii wrote:
I use it myself, my only word of advice, depending on the truck, turn it off going up a mountain. I have an F150 EB, my last truck was also one, but had 3.15 gears. I had the cruise set at 65MPH coming out of Denver, hit that first 6% grade and that little EB held the speed limit great, but it got way too hot doing so.

On regular hills, and slight grades up to 5%, the EB with Cruise on will maintain the speed limit, no matter what it is, 55, 65, 75, and will do it going up 6 & 7% grades as well, but best to not use cruise and keep an eye on the trans and coolant temps.

temccarthy1 wrote:

Several of you with Fords mention using " tow mode" I have a 2013 Expedition XLT with 5.4 V8. I see "anti sway" in my set up options but not "tow-mode" Is it there someplace or not available on an Expedition?

Look on the end of your shift knob on the column shifter, if you have tow/haul mode there will be a button there marked as such.

My shifter is on the center console and does not have any tow mode button on it anywhere.

I downloaded your owners manual and found this statement :

If your transmission is equipped with a Grade Assist or Tow/Haul
feature, use this feature when towing. This provides engine braking
and helps eliminate excessive transmission shifting for optimum fuel
economy and transmission cooling.

I noticed that it said ; IF ; maybe you do not have Tow Mode on your vehicle. Check your owners manual more closely then I did and ask you local dealer.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Acdii wrote:

temccarthy1 wrote:

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
It depends. Is your truck diesel or gas? If gas it won't likely do very well in cruise. If diesel it will cruise down the road with no issues. I've had both and speak from experience. My 2009 2500 gasser downshifted every 10 miles between Wichita, KS and Holbrook, AZ. My 2013 diesel down shifted once in the same stretch.
You needed to lock out that top gear or have the differential ratio changed.

That gasser was always run in manual mode in 5th gear while towing and is still sucked. Never again.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer

temccarthy1 wrote:

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We use cruise control. Downshifts on every incline. Won't hurt a thing. You should see how much it shifts in town. 1st through 5th at every stop light. Odd thing is my six diesels had the same problem. Dealer couldn't fix. Tried to tell me it was normal. :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We be cruising .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!