cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slanted Driveway

craigandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a small popup (Coleman Newport Pioneer) and are looking to upgrade to a small travel trailer - 18 - 22'.

We do have a slanted driveway, and we are able move the pop-up around fairly easily, though it does get close to clearing the lower part where the driveway meets the street due to the slant.

Before we go out and buy the travel trailer, we'd like to figure out:

1) Will the TT, with the heavier weight still clear the slant
2) Will our Toyota Sequoia SR5 (2004) have any trouble backing a small TT up the slanted driveway.

It's probably not easy to answer without seeing the slant (which I'd say is moderate, but not extreme), but we figured we'd ask for any advice or ideas.

I have seen a video with a big rig utilizing RV Casters on an extremely slanted driveway. Not sure if we'd need those, or if they are even appropriate for a small TT.

Thanks for any info.

Craig and Susan
12 REPLIES 12

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
I have a toyota SR5 V6 pickup with the same tow capacity. I can easily back up our 17' camper - our driveway is steep, not moderate. I have to take off the WDH springs as it helps to have the rear end of the camper high, and put the truck in 4WD - but it works. You should be fine, but I wouldn't push the 6500 lb towing limit. Our unit is a 17' hybrid, and weighs about 2800 lbs, but you still know it's back there. I would guess that you'd be happy with anything up to about 3500 lbs or so. The bigger issue is leveling it at the top of the driveway if you don't have a flat spot. I don't, so I don't park it in the driveway except for using the driveway to turn around on our street, or for loading, unloading or maintenance. Even then, I use chocks, blocks and anything I can to make sure it stays put.

FyrFytrDad
Explorer
Explorer
You can also switch hitches and go with a greater drop when you come in your driveway. My driveway is up a hill and I actually stop at a nearby park, pull out the WD hitch and throw in a drop hitch to get the nose down another 3" or so.

Remember geometry - lower nose = higher rear
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2008 Flagstaff 27BHSS

I. A. F. F. Local 2704

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
Ask the dealer to have someone tow it to your location and give it a try. Obviously you want to assure them that its a done deal if it will ramp up your driveway. I'm betting they will oblige.

Winner.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

ctabailey
Explorer
Explorer
I find if I disengage my WDH spring bars, I can back up my inclined driveway much better. By keeping the WDH engaged, the hitch would not allow enough vertical "hinge" rotation.

So, I wait until I have the TT at the curb before I engage the WDH.

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
A quick lookup showed a tow rating of 6500 lb for your Sequoia. That should be in the size range you mentioned in your post. Something that length should not have enough rear overhang to cause a lot of concern.
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

BigSkyTrailer_G
Explorer
Explorer
We have a flat V dip in our driveway, and it used to rub the bottom of the spare tire, especially loaded. The low clearance made me crazy, so I had the axle "flipped" (from the factory the leaf springs were hung under the axle with U bolts; now the leaf springs sit on top of the axle with U bolts.) That got me an extra 4" clearance. You might want to check out the axle orientation on your new rig; maybe the dealer would flip it? ($100 project).
Also I went from 13" wheels to 14" LT tires... another 1/2 inch.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is pretty extreme and if our trailer was much longer it would drag. We have a 25' TT and needed to do a spring over lift to make it possible. We also need to use 2x8's at the base of our driveway, remove the tounge jack and remove the rear stabilizers to get it in and out. Doing all this we get maybe an inch or less of clearance at the rear of the trailer, but it clears it.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the dealer to have someone tow it to your location and give it a try. Obviously you want to assure them that its a done deal if it will ramp up your driveway. I'm betting they will oblige.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Go rent one and try it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It may be necessary to put down a couple of wood planks at the start of the driveway (at the worst). Your new rig may back in perfectly. We really have no way to know, do we?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Moved from Forum Technical Support

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Your new camper will probably have a higher clearance than your pop-up, so should probably be no problem.

If your tow vehicle cannot back the new camper into the driveway, then you better get a new tow vehicle! Simple as that! If you can't go up a simple incline a few feet, how in the world will your vehicle pull it on the road going up and down hills constantly, not to mention mountains, if that's in your future?