cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRW 3500 Dodge work with a Arctic Fox 811

Beaver_Thunder
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Arctic Fox 811 short box camper, I'm thinking about upgrading my 2005 Ram 3500 (SRW) with a new 2021 Ram 3500. I really like the 811 but it is a very heavy camper, so my 05 has had a lot of upgrades to handle the 811 and pull my 18' aluminum boat. Looking at the new trucks and the payload capacity, looks like the truck with the equipment I want will have a payload capacity of 3900. The 811 is around that or more depending how much I'm hauling. Looking at the payload capacity for a 3500 mega cab with a DRW, that should be able to support the camper but I really don't want a DRW.

My question, does anyone have a 811 and a newer dodge crew cab 3500 short bed (cummins) as a combo? If so did you have to add supplemental suspension? Does the truck sit level?
29 REPLIES 29

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
Regular cab, 6.4L Hemi, 2-wd 5170 payload.

Is that for a drw ? There was no configuration for a 3500 srw that went that high on the Ram site .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Bedlam
You can haul the AF811 on a SRW, but you most likely will be over GVWR while still within axle ratings. This may require aftermarket upgrades of wheels and suspension to get safety and stability so you need to decide if you start with a DRW or modify a SRW with additional cost.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Regular cab, 6.4L Hemi, 2-wd 5170 payload.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
billtex wrote:
Go with a gasser and gain 600# payload.

And 0# on the rear axle where all the load will be.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go with a gasser and gain 600# payload.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar set up. S85RS Ascent camper on our 2015, 6.4 gasser Megacab 3500 SRW. Just like the Arctic Fox 811, the ascent is a SB camper with a slide, and it is heavy just shy of 5K fully wet and ready to camp. Now the 811 is a few hundred pounds lighter though, but only a few hundred fully wet and ready to go. You are going to be over every where with the exception of the steer axle. The 811 like my camper really needs to be under a dually. Like you we get by with the SRW, but our next truck will be a dually. Our weight fully loaded and ready to go is as follows. 13000lbs GRoss weight. With 8700lbs on the rear axle. That’s 1600lbs over GVWR, 1700lbs over rear axle capacity, 1300lbs over tire weight rating for the pair of rear tires.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
KD4UPL wrote:
So you have to loosen a 3/4" bolt but you really don't want to use a 3/4" wrench?

Use the proper tool for the job. If you've never hauled your TC with a DRW you will be AMAZED at the difference. When I went from a 3500 SRW to a dually with my 4,000 pound TC the difference in sway, bounce, and all around handling was immediately evident. Driving a dually is no big deal. I drive one just about every day for work and it's got a utility body on it so it's 8' wide the entire length of the bed, not just the fenders. I go thru bank and restaurant drive-thrus on a regular basis.

Just like driving a srw with that camper on it is “no big deal.”
You guys do realize the OP has already been hauling the camper on a srw truck, right?
Guessing if he had issue with it, his thread would be about a dually.

I understand the difference in handling and there is no question a dually is more stable and safer. However a proper srw is NOT unstable and unsafe. This is not a black and white yes or no kinda thing.
Heck I would actually get a dually if I was spending a lot of time behind the wheel with a big white whale in my truck bed. But for some, that is not the right answer.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I just park at the back of the parking lot with my DRW. I don't find it anymore problematic driving around town, but I do live in a rural community.

I have mentioned it before, I had my 1191 on an SRW and when I switched to a DRW it was a night and day difference.

Don't be scared of a DRW, be scared of being overweight, especially pulling a boat behind.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
So you have to loosen a 3/4" bolt but you really don't want to use a 3/4" wrench?

Use the proper tool for the job. If you've never hauled your TC with a DRW you will be AMAZED at the difference. When I went from a 3500 SRW to a dually with my 4,000 pound TC the difference in sway, bounce, and all around handling was immediately evident. Driving a dually is no big deal. I drive one just about every day for work and it's got a utility body on it so it's 8' wide the entire length of the bed, not just the fenders. I go thru bank and restaurant drive-thrus on a regular basis.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We considered the AF 865 (basically a slightly lighter, non-slide version of the AF 811) for our '16 Ram 3500 SB SRW. Had a 2019 865 scaled at a dealer and was shocked to find it weighed over 3,500 lbs. completely dry and empty (no propane, batteries, etc.). Would have probably scaled in around 4,500-4700 lbs. loaded for the road.

In any case, too much weight for us, our truck only has ~4000 lbs. of payload (FWIW, all of it available on the rear axle: 7000 lb. RAWR minus 3000 lb. empty rear axle weight equals 4000 lbs.). Went with a lighter 2,700 lb. camper instead (approaching 4,000 lbs. loaded). More or less leveled the truck with just lower Stableloads. Still went ahead and installed airbags because we also needed to level our truck from side-to-side (camper is heavier on one side).

Lastly, lower Stableloads may not provide quite the lift that airbags do, but they do offer more stability (at least on our truck) due to the fact they operate/mount more outboard than the airbags. Airbags (on our truck) tend to induce sway when they're inflated much more than 30-35 psi. IMO, lower Stableloads and airbags compliment each other well.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
It'll haul that camper just fine. Similar mods required, but the 4th Gen will likely handle the weight a bit better

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your gonna' have the same problem with overloaded rear tires/wheels and rear suspension as your '05.
Keep in mind that 3900 lbs payload is a gvwr based payload which goes over the trucks front and rear axles. Add 3900 lbs in the bed like a TC or a heavy GN/5th wheel trailer can overload the SRW 7000 RAWR.
I 'spect higher rated tires/wheels and rear spring pack help will be needed for a heavy TC and a trailers hitch weight.

Stay tuned I'm sure someone has the same combo.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox recommends a dually for all their TC’s with a slideout. There is a very good reason for that recommendation.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are beyond RAM’s 3500 SRW capacity. When you are over, you’re over. Lighter camper or DRW IMO. Bandaids aren’t smart.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2020 Ram diesel 3500 Crew Cab SRW, but it's a longbed. I carry a 2019 Northstar 12STC, which is a 12' no slide camper. It looks comparable in weight to your 811. The truck does not sit level when loaded and it's surprising how far the truck has to squat before the overload spring is engaged. I added Torklift stable loads, as I want the overload leaf to be engaged when the truck is level. It still squats enough to bother me (and my headlights with oncoming drivers), so I put airbags on the truck, and 25-30 psi brings it level.

Scott

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC