cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storge in a Jayfeather 17Z

dfelser
Explorer
Explorer
My first time posting. ๐Ÿ™‚ We are looking at purchasing a 2012 Jayfeather 17 Z but I'm concerned about storage space for clothing. Any advice on creative ways to store clothing?
14 REPLIES 14

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 17Z back in 2010 and love our little mighty might camper. When we camp, we're pretty basic people and don't really need a big house on wheels. Unless it's raining, we don't spend a ton of time inside anyway. We love that the 17z comes with both a couch and a dinette which most in this size don't have.

We do use everything in the camper, including the shower so we don't want to store stuff in there.

I did make a couple storage mods. It's only the two of us so I made openings and doors under the dinette seats and we each have one for cloths storage. It's kind of surprising how much we can fit in each one.

I also made drawers in one cabinet under the sing for utensils and put shelves in all of the upper cabinets. Here's a couple pictures.

clothes storage

Utensil drawers

Ray
Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our ROO 23SS, I found a laundry basket at WM that just fit perfectly on the shelf in the wardrobe/pantry. The rule was that if it fits in the basket, it can go. Otherwise, too bad. The only deviation was heavy winter coats or similar. We could pack for 5 - 7 days of warm weather camping and then it was either time to come home anyway or we just ran a couple loads of laundry. One of those round mesh laundry baskets sat in the shower for dirty clothes and could be easily moved in and out for shower use. It's very easy to WAY overpack and you need some way to control it. The drawer units are great, baskets, smaller size duffle bags....whatever works for you.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

NightTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 17Z and while the lack of a clothes closet isn't ideal, its the light weight compact layout we want. DH and I each have a rubbermaid 3-drawer container. We store them in the shower (which we never use) while stationary and while we are in motion store them in front of the couch. Works for us. It comfortably holds clothes for us for 1 week. When our kids are with us they have a duffle bag each stored in their bed.
Lynn, Bud, 2 teenaged boys
A Husky named Laska
2012 GMC Yukon
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z :B
Our Blog

Cotay
Explorer
Explorer
Our Aerolite 174es had essentially the same floorplan as the 17z and storage was extremely problematic for us. We ended up storing clothing in the TV and pulling out what we needed as we went along. Ultimately, we decided to upgrade to a larger TT as a result. I miss the tent camping feel of the HTT, but with four small children the Aerolite simply didn't have the storage we needed.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
In our hybrid we put a plastic drawer unit in the closet giving each family member a labeled drawer they are responsible to pack and unpack. This leaves enough dor space to hang only a few coats however.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Question for you 17Z owners. I was looking at a RV dealers website and they had a new Jayco Jay Feather X17Z...

The cargo capacity on this little 17z was only about 400 lbs per the sticker.

Is that typical for this model?

Thanks!!

Jeremiah

Don't own one but this is the biggest problem with hybrids that have GVWR's in the 3500lbs. range, extremely low CCC numbers.
It's the manufacturers dirty little secret to draw in minivan/CUV owners jnto buying a hybrid.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Question for you 17Z owners. I was looking at a RV dealers website and they had a new Jayco Jay Feather X17Z...

The cargo capacity on this little 17z was only about 400 lbs per the sticker.

Is that typical for this model?

Thanks!!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Enjoy your maiden 'voyage.' We thoroughly enjoy our little camper and have no regrets about buying it.
BabaMartha

dfelser
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all of the advice! We did purchase it!! I only wish it was spring and not fall...we will take one long weekend trip and then put it away and wait through our L-O-N-G Buffalo winter. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
We use duffle bags for each person and store under the sofa. this mod has also made a huge difference in storage!
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

ShawnMG
Explorer
Explorer
galexander wrote:
Plastic Totes come in all sizes and shapes and can store a lot of items. We use them for clothes, dish and plastic forks/spoons/etc. Use for towels, wash rags and just about everything you can think of. Keeps everything separated and in one place.

X2
Me, DW, 2DS (10, 9)
2011 Chevy Silverado Ext.
2015 Rockwood Roo 233S

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
Plastic Totes come in all sizes and shapes and can store a lot of items. We use them for clothes, dish and plastic forks/spoons/etc. Use for towels, wash rags and just about everything you can think of. Keeps everything separated and in one place.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

go_wild
Explorer
Explorer
This is a common question for 17Z owners...We use a duffle bag for each person. Some people use the upper cabinets for clothing storage, but we use that space for food and other camping items.
2007 Jeep Commander 4X4 HEMI
2010 Jayco 17Z

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
We spend a month each winter in Florida, as well as numerous smaller trips during the other three seasons. We each have a two-handled, soft-sided laundry basket that we use. It's large enough to hold everything we need. We store the baskets on the bed we're not using, but they're easy to move if need be. I use a canvas tote bag for accumulating laundry, making it easy to haul dirty clothes to the washers and then haul the clean clothes back to the camper.
BabaMartha