cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing generators when traveling?

Freeborn530
Explorer
Explorer
Recently acquired two Yamaha portable generators. I have a crew cab truck and usually keep propane grill, chairs in the back ... Should I keep the generators in the camper when on the road, for example stopping for shopping? Or in the back seat area covered by tarp?
46 REPLIES 46

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Is your garage having well sealed door, rocking all the time and drastically changing temperatures?
Are you welding in your garage with door closed? :S

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
burningman wrote:
You can just leave the cap vent open.

Yeah, enjoy the fumes in cabin while you can.
Just don't light up.

My Hondas sit in my garage with the vents open.
Thereโ€™s a car in there with a vented gas cap too.
When I fire up the welder, this may be hard to believe, but, the place doesnโ€™t blow up.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Re that crushed fuel can. Had to be empty. A liquid in normal air pressure is not compressable even going from ""124*" to near freezing.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

Yeah, enjoy the fumes in cabin while you can.
Just don't light up.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Summer is over, temperatures drop below 110F, so I start doing some yard work and went to my shed, where I keep my gas cans.
This is how my gas can looks like when I left it in the shed on hot day and colder nights arrived.
Colder in this case is 80F.
I wonder how your Honda gas tank will look like in the same circumstances?
Do you really want to have that experience in your cabin?

Click For Full-Size Image.

Weird, my Honda generator sits in the same shop as plastic gas cans. None of them look like that, including the Honda tank. Maybe you shouldn't have stepped on your gas can.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does it also have a low pressure release valve? :D. Anyway, I donโ€™t think generator tanks are quite as weak as the cheap gas cans, so I donโ€™t think it matters.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda 3000 tank has pressure release valve.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
How do you think your honda generator is doing on that front hitch driving into the sun in Death Valley at a 124F ?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Summer is over, temperatures drop below 110F, so I start doing some yard work and went to my shed, where I keep my gas cans.
This is how my gas can looks like when I left it in the shed on hot day and colder nights arrived.
Colder in this case is 80F.
I wonder how your Honda gas tank will look like in the same circumstances?
Do you really want to have that experience in your cabin?

Click For Full-Size Image.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
I carry Honda 2000's in the rear seat floorboards, covered with a towel for camo for prying eyes.
The Honda OEM gas caps will not leak, but the IPI long run quick connect caps will.

Do you have to strap them down someway in case of an accident?

Do I have to? No.
Do I want to? No.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

HioSSilver
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been carrying my geny in a box on my front hitch. But I'm abput to make a mount on the back ofvthe camper so i don't have to move it anymore.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
We've stored our generators inside the camper under the table, held in place with heavy shock cords. Sheet of polypropylene packing foam to prevent rubbing wear. No smell after the fix below.

Advantage of being inside is that they start better when we are boondocking during winter.

Downside to moving them in / out of the high entrance of our TC (due to being on a 4x4 and having a basement), is that the generator gets tipped sometimes resulting in a gasoline smell.

It wasn't coming from the cap due to pressure change going from sea level to 8,000, nor large temperature range swings during the day. Rather gas was dripping out of the carburetor bowl through the bowl vent.

Solution was to plug the vent line with a golf tee when moving the generator into the TC. You could see the liquid gasoline above the tee, after moving it inside. Later I got a short piece of fuel tubing for the tee, I keep it on the oil drain slope to the left, when it isn't being used as a plug during normal operation.

If you happen to forget to remove the vent plug, the generator will stop running after a while and you are wondering why it stopped.:S
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
10-4 good buddy!
Hope you had a good Labor Day weekend, especially free of propane issues!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold