Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stripped Anode Rod

Heelbilly
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, y'all.

Alright... I'm in a pickle...

Long story made relatively short, my element went out in my Suburban sw6de water heater. No big deal. I figured I'd drain the tank via the anode rod and give it a look. (My trailer has another drain for the hot water heater...) The trailer is only one year old and I pulled the anode rod last winter when winterizing and put it back in this spring. I'll be totally honest and own my first mistake... This is my first trailer so I'm making a few as I go. When I reinstalled it, I believe I torqued it in there a little too tight. I did use teflon tape in hopes it would come out easier. It was a bear to get out the first time.

Fast forward to today... I've tried everything to get this anode rod out. I started with a 1-1/16" 6 point socket and a breaker bar. Nothing. Not even a little budge. I moved on to my impact wrench. I hit it for a solid minute at 300 ft/lb and nothing...

At this point, I've committed the cardinal sin and rounded off the hex head. I tried getting a pipe wrench on it as a last effort, but there just isn't enough room.

So, I think I'm down to a couple of options:
1. Leave it in there 'cause it ain't coming out. The tank will rust out a lot quicker, but I don't exactly have an option...

2. Drill it. I'm hesitant on this one, and thus the purpose of this post. I'm wondering if anyone has ever gone this extreme and been successful?

I suppose option 3 is get a new water heater, but I don't particularly care for option 3. I thought about a socket for rounded bolts. I have some that I got years ago at Sears. They only go up to 3/4" though. I haven't seen one big enough for a 1-1/16".

Thought I'd check with you smart folks to see if you had any sage advice?

I appreciate it.
51 REPLIES 51

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
For heating and rapid cooling, a torch followed by the liquid shot from an upside down can of pressurized air like the sell for cleaning/dusting electronics. Held upside down, the stuff that comes out is liquid c02 and will quickly cool the bolt.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Weld a big nut to to it. While it is still hot, get a wrench on it. Heat alone usually works pretty good at breaking things loose, but since it is already rounded, the welding of the nut will fix both problems.
There's your best answer.

If you rounded off the head while using a 6 point socket, no easy-out is going to break it loose and I rather doubt a pipe extractor will either. Although a pipe extractor may work if you first heat the plug and cool it rapidly. Sometimes the heating and contraction is enough to break the threads loose.

Just leaving it in and ignoring it is going to cause you problems, most likely at the most inconvenient time.

Heelbilly
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 27mm twist socket. (Thanks jsteih.) I'm going to try that before taking the more drastic measures. The 1-1/16" is a little loose on it at this point, but a 1" won't hammer on, so we shall see.

After that I'll go to the EZ Out and Plan Z will be Huntindog's "bust out the welder" plan.

I'll keep you boys posted... For entertainment purposes.

Thanks again, y'all!

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
So it's so tight you rounded the head off. And now you want to try an easy-out? I'd leave it - if you break off the easy out you'll be really in a world of hurt.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Weld a big nut to to it. While it is still hot, get a wrench on it. Heat alone usually works pretty good at breaking things loose, but since it is already rounded, the welding of the nut will fix both problems.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Heelbilly
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Taverniti wrote:
I would drill and use e-z out. Get a pipe tap to clean threads. You can do it.

Alright... Y'all are about to talk me into it. Now, I will say I torqued that sucker in there like a gorilla when I reinstalled it. I thought that was the goal. Live and learn.

Y'all just stay tuned for when I ask, "has anyone ever changed out their sw6de water heater?"

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
I would drill and use e-z out. Get a pipe tap to clean threads. You can do it.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Since it did not budge with breaker bar or impact and rounded it off with a 6 point, I have little faith that an EZ out will do any better. I would just leave it for the time being and plan on a tank replacement in your future. When you get to that point you can take more drastic measures to try to get it out before buying a new tank.

And next time just snug the anode rod. With tape the pipe threads do not need much tightening to prevent leaking.

Can't just buy a new tank.....Suburban requires whole new water heater.
No Suburban tank replacements offered.

Yeah. The brain was thinking water heater but the fingers typed tank. :S

jsteih
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie, so my links were removed. Kanokroil is the first on available on amazon. the second was an ebay link to a 27mm Twist socket.

Use ***Link Removed*** a couple of times before you want to remove it. PBBlaster is ok, but kano is best.

Order one of these ***Link Removed***

I'd also put some heat with a propane torch right on the end of it, just before you try and remove it.
2002 Silverado 1500 Z71 w/5.3, 4L60E, and 3.73
2016 Wildwood Xlite 241QBXL, w/Equilizer "Maurice"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
Since it did not budge with breaker bar or impact and rounded it off with a 6 point, I have little faith that an EZ out will do any better. I would just leave it for the time being and plan on a tank replacement in your future. When you get to that point you can take more drastic measures to try to get it out before buying a new tank.

And next time just snug the anode rod. With tape the pipe threads do not need much tightening to prevent leaking.

Can't just buy a new tank.....Suburban requires whole new water heater.
No Suburban tank replacements offered.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
drill it ,,tap it to a 3/8ths pipe plug and forget it.

Need to remove it.......it's not just a bolt head it has the steel rod and anode rod attached.

Besides 3/8 plug won't drain the crud out nor allow flushing of tank.
Reason Suburban uses a 3/4" drain hole.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
drill it ,,tap it to a 3/8ths pipe plug and forget it.

Heelbilly
Explorer
Explorer
What would you boys think about drilling a bit and using a 3/4" or 1/2" pipe extractor? Or would you recommend sticking with the EZ Out?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
If it were me. I'd just leave it. My first Water heater didn't even have one, so I'm not totally convinced they really, really need one.
However. If you can't get it out. You need to be sure the water heater will drain thru the low point drains. If it won't. you will have to get the plug out

Your 'first' one must have been an Atwood Brand.
Aluminum tank =anode rod not used/needed

Suburban Steel tank=anode rod necessary