cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for mounting rear camera please

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install the rear view camera and would like to solicit ideas. Here is the camera:

And here is the back of the camper:

My main ideas involve drilling a hole in the back to run the camera cable through. :E or surface mounting the cable and using cable tie mounts, but I suspect the cable tie mounts would have to be screwed into the camper to really be secure because most of the time the self adhesive mounts aren't really meant for exterior use :E
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB
10 REPLIES 10

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
dadwolf2 wrote:
Thanks, but the question I was really aiming for is not where to mount, but how to deal with the cable? How did you secure the cable for the camera or where to best route the cable?

I hope this doesn't sound snarky because it truly isn't intended to be, but if you'll look at all of my posts in that topic, you will see how I handled the cable. Pictures and everything! My way might be a little brutal compared to others, but I've always been more of a "function over form" guy. And, it is a 13 year old camper after all. It's supposed to look a little rough. :W

:):)

Sorry, I read "plugs into the tailgate camera" and thought it was no longer applicable. I missed going to the bottom of the 2nd page of the link. Lot of great information there. Only part I'm trying to avoid is the drilling the 1/2" hole. I'm going to think about this some more.

Thanks for pointing out your install. That was the kind of info I was looking for after all!! :B
2014 Adventurer 86FB

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
Thanks, but the question I was really aiming for is not where to mount, but how to deal with the cable? How did you secure the cable for the camera or where to best route the cable?

I hope this doesn't sound snarky because it truly isn't intended to be, but if you'll look at all of my posts in that topic, you will see how I handled the cable. Pictures and everything! My way might be a little brutal compared to others, but I've always been more of a "function over form" guy. And, it is a 13 year old camper after all. It's supposed to look a little rough. :W

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
The camera system I have is from Rear View Safety.

Super Dave, that looks pretty clean. I might be able to borrow that idea and make it work.

TC Life, I don't have a rear ladder, but thanks for the suggestion.
2014 Adventurer 86FB

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
by the way, is that a Panasonic pro view camera? the camera looks the same as mine. I love my camera. is has a very wide angle, clear picture and works great in the dark. it also has a built in microphone so I can hear someone yell before I back up over them. that is, if I have the volume on. lol
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My Ace Hardware had wire chase that was approximately 3/8" ID and easily ran my wires through it. The wire mold was double stick tape backed if I remember right and I caulked it in for extra precaution. It is the piece between the light and the camera box.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wired camera but my camper backend is set up differently than yours. for one, I don't have a rear awning so my camera is mounted on the luggage rack on the roof. I then ran the cord along the rack and down my ladder. then the cord runs along the under side of the camper. underside, meaning not the very bottom but the side wall. if you get what im trying to say. do you have a ladder? it doesn't look like there is one from what the picture shows.

for securing, I used tie wraps.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Adventurer 86FB

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a hard-wired camera on the back of my camper, and it plugs into the tailgate camera plug on the truck. The image appears on the nav screen in the dash just like the Ford tailgate camera.

See my posts in this topic.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would mount the REAR MOUNTED CAMERA as high above the roadway as I could get it. Then you can aim the camera down somewhat for best view of what is behind you. If it is mounted close to the same height as the headlight beams from approaching cars it will flare up big time at night making it almost impossible to see anything behind you.

Notice how this rear camera is installed on this google photo..

Has been my experience anyway...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
My Tiger is about the size of a truck camper. I mounted the camera right under the center clearance light, aimed down so that it puts the rear bumper just in the bottom of the frame. Anything further back than that frame, I can see in the side mirrors. The monitor is on top of the trans tunnel, under the edge of the dash.

Jim, "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')