Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tahoe & Jayco 26 RLS

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I'm new here, and after 13 years my wife and I have decided to get back into camping. It's been many years!

I found this site and have read some GREAT advice. I have a question to ask, and I'm looking for your honest opinion:

I have my trusty 2001 Tahoe with 60,000 miles in mint shape (bought new). It still has a lot of life in it, and want to get into a trailer for just the wife and I. We used to own a Coachman bunk version about 15 years ago but sold it as the kids grew older and our working lives took us away from the camping scene.

Over the years I have forgotten some of the tow capacity info I knew from years past. Saying that, with our last trailer we parked it on a seasonal site so not much towing was done (1992 Silverado at the time).

So.....here's my situation:

The floor plan we have come to like is the Jayco 26 RLS (new). There is also a Keystone Springdale 266RL that interests us, but for now we are leaning towards the Jayco. We would like to buy in the coming weeks.

I kept my heavy Reese hitch, with WD, and a Reese anti-sway bar. The Tahoe is a 5.3, with 3.73 rear, factory tow package, and rated at 7,600 lbs.

The Jayco literature puts it's weight at 6,005 lbs. However the dealership I'm looking at weighs them in at 6,700 on their site and does not give the reason for their number and what that would include.

So.........do you think can my Tahoe can handle the Jayco? Just my wife and I would use it, so I'm not sure how much we'd be adding to the weight.

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
Great information for a newbie! Thanks!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
IH_Fan, see if this helps.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Bzeitham wrote:
I am also looking at tha Jayco HT 5ers. It seems that there are two camps of 5er owners. One camp saying that a half ton can't pull them well and the other camp saying that thers's no problem. Since I don't own the unit yet and have not bought a truck yet, I'm in the investigative stage. The important thing is that I do not want to make a $30,000 mistake...and believe me I've made my share. Does a half ton get give better fuel economy towing than a three quarter ton? Or is the three quarter ton more fuel efficient?

A lot of question and a lot of opinions.

It's best to start your own thread with this question.
No, a half ton won't get better fuel economy towing. It might get worse. If you're buying a truck specifically for a FW I think it makes very little sense to consider a 1500 series truck. Yes, they can be made to work, but, why not get the properly rated truck for the load to begin with.
The load includes not only the trailer but he passengers, lugage, trailer options, truck options, firewood, generator, bikes, coolers, etc, etc.
It all adds up and will likely overwhelm a 1500 truck.

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same truck as you, engine, gears ect. My tt is 26' with a gvw of 5500# and a dry of 4000#. The truck does ok but i dont think i would want much more weight especially when things get hilly. I can maintain the speed limit in 3rd on a typical hwy grade but there isnt much in reservegranted my vehicle has around 160k miles. However towing is stable and breaking is good and to me these trump overall power. Maybe a test tow if the seller is so inclined.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
I am also looking at tha Jayco HT 5ers. It seems that there are two camps of 5er owners. One camp saying that a half ton can't pull them well and the other camp saying that thers's no problem. Since I don't own the unit yet and have not bought a truck yet, I'm in the investigative stage. The important thing is that I do not want to make a $30,000 mistake...and believe me I've made my share. Does a half ton get give better fuel economy towing than a three quarter ton? Or is the three quarter ton more fuel efficient?

A lot of question and a lot of opinions.

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion that's too much trailer. Your loaded weight is likely to be 1000-1500 lbs more than dry weight, which I'm guessing according to your post is the 6700 lbs which is probably coming from the yellow sticker on the side of the trailer. That's the as built figure which includes full propane and is going to be higher than the figure posted on the web which includes no options.

You will likely be at or over your tow limit as well as your Tahoe's payload rating.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch