cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC and awnings

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
I currently do not have an awning on my wolf creek 850 but with Spring trips in the wet Pacific Northwest I'm considering getting one. I'm curious to hear others opinions on an awning. They're not cheap, so is it worth the cost, or would I do just fine with tent canopy?
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot
51 REPLIES 51

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
dpgerson wrote:
The oxymoron is the campground not allowing camping.

I have been in campgrounds that allow Tent Camping only in certain areas, and campgrounds that did not allow Tent Camping at all. I guess it depends on what we would call camping. I'm of the belief it could refer to many different methods of camping.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
The oxymoron is the campground not allowing camping.
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I have use my Canopies in camp grounds that do not allow tent camping.

Now there is an oxymoron if I ever heard one...

I don't see why. Although a canopy has multiple uses, it's primarily used as a shade/rain/wind shelter, the same as an awning.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen our set up exactly on this thread. Always trying to save weight, I used my old backpacking 'technology' and bought a rip-stop nylon, high quality green tarp with brass grommets. I had a lot of universal aluminum stack joint tent poles, enough to make three poles of many configs. There is an inch long ret plastic pin on the top of each that fits easily through the grommets. I added a few more gromets. I e-mailed Lance to get a schematic of the pass. side of the 165-s, where the plates and structure was. They immediately sent me a pdf of the side. It told me where to set the 1-1/2" stainless steel screws into the wooden framing/plating. I picked up a piece of 1-1/4" aluminum angle that would span the side. I drilled holes at the appropriate spots for said screws. I made six hooks from brass bolts with a little turn up at the ends. I used a lot of different size stakes and a long piece of bungee cord to make auto tightening 5 separate guy cords. It takes a short ladder to reach the hooks (9 ft up the side of the TC). You need a lot of space with all 5 guy cords attached to make it work. We've used it both for rain and snow, and for hot sunny days when you need shade.
The whole thing weighs maybe 5 pounds.
Assessment: It takes a while to set up and we only use it if we are in a stationary loacation for more than a couple days. Like all awnings/tarps it is subject to high winds, which we tend to attract while TC-ing. It is spacious and we've had campfires under it; had a lot of people under cover all with a minimum weight. It is flexible and can be lowered here or there to windward and for rain runoff.
Now that we have it, it rarely gets used, mostly because we're never in one place very long. I brought in to Expo, but the wind was pretty much continuous, so it never got put up.
A couple pix: January in the southern Anza Borrego at Piedras Grandes. The tarp later flew over the TC in gale force winds.

A wet day near Sonora Pass:

jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
I have use my Canopies in camp grounds that do not allow tent camping.

Now there is an oxymoron if I ever heard one...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

gorohoff
Explorer
Explorer
For me, I ultimately got a small easy to store canopy instead of the awning. The cost for the permanently attached rear awnings that I was looking at was too expensive (but that was for power extending and retracting awnings). The awning you referenced looks interesting, however I went to the web site for the company that makes them gowesty.com and it looks like all their products are specific to vw vanagons.
-Andrew

"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled."
-Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Found this thread after doing a search as I am contemplating a side awning. My camping habits are to drop the camper off the truck for 3 days at state parks. I think a side canopy would do good for me. Here is one video that makes the install look easy enough on a vanagon, I may think the TC would be similar. http://youtu.be/LDSH1rY4lbo
I have not seen any prices at the factory sites I've visited, what prices have you've seen?
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
My old Lance had an awning rail on the passenger side of the camper and a slide on "bag" awning, like they use on tent trailers. All self contained in a bag, including poles and ropes for staking it down; which was the inconvenient part, especially if you were on pavement. It worked just fine but it reminded me why, except for over the door, I prefer a portable canopy. As the sun moves throughout the day the shade disappears and by being able to move the shade structure you get better use out of it, if that makes sense. I would like a rear door power awning though! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a pretty good idea.

Wayne

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I am not so sure it would be that big of a hassle for some folks. I have considered doing that for years, but it would be a hassle because I seldom stay in one place longer than 2 or 3 days. I like the idea due to having options on how big you could have the awning. I'm thinking like a 12' on the TC, and 12' to 14, out from the TC.
Its the only way I have ever done it. My ladder sticks up above the roof line so any awning I get would barely cover the door only. I have the conduit in 2 pieces so that I can fold the tarp in half along with the conduit and then roll the conduit up inside the tarp and store the 5 foot long roll in the bathroom.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I am not so sure it would be that big of a hassle for some folks. I have considered doing that for years, but it would be a hassle because I seldom stay in one place longer than 2 or 3 days. I like the idea due to having options on how big you could have the awning. I'm thinking like a 12' on the TC, and 12' to 14, out from the TC.

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
here's a really cheap solution but its a hassle to put up.

Two hooks drilled into the "luggage rack" on the top of the camper $5.00
10' x 15' tarp $30.00
2 pieces of 3/4" electrical conduit 5 feet in length and a stright conduit connector $5.00
1 dozen quik straps $$0.50
2 extendable 8' tent poles
2 lengths of cord and 4 spikes

Strap the 10' side of the tarp to the two pieces of conduit
connect the lengths of conduit with the connector.
hook the conduit over the hooks on the luggage rack
extend the tarp out the 15'
insert the poles into the corners of the tarp and tie the cord to the top of the tent poles.
spike out the cord at 45 degrees off the tent poles x 2 for each pole

Voila, cheap awning

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Barkoff wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
For those of you that have never had a 10'x10' tent canopy, you really cannot appreciate the versatility. As for portability, about a 12"x12"x5' feet long, including sides for weather and/or bugs.

How tall can those 10X10's fold out to? High enough to be higher than a camper back door?

As sold, I would say no. If you go with the E-Zup, you can get leg extensions, as shown E-Z UPยฎ Leg Extensions. It makes no since to me that they sell them in sets of two, the E-Zup has four legs. The extensions look simple enough to make if you choose to do so.

Wayne

Dome
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say in most cases, not. The picture above is what it looks like next to the camper. I suppose the larger canopies might raise up higher but the 10x10's won't get above the door way.