cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC - New vs Extreme Makeover

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
A new member here. I have never owned a TC but ready to jump in. I have an F450 on order and am considering an EC 1200 or Mammoth. The question I have is new vs. used. A Mammoth for example is $65K new, where 5 years old, it is more like $25K to $30K. I can afford the new and prefer the updated look, but it seems for the extra $35K, I could update, getting cabinets refinished, leather upholstery, new appliances, new TV/sound, solar and lithium, mattress, etc... and still come out quite a bit ahead.

The question I have is -- in buying used-- do campers generally have good bones? The shell, windows, doors, A/C, heat, plumbing, electrical, do they hold up pretty well, or after five are you getting pretty close to wanting to roll it off a cliff?
2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab
30 REPLIES 30

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
If you have never had or used a truck camper before you may want to consider a much older less expensive model. If you do this you will have a chance to experience truck campers and after using it get a much better idea of what you want and what is useful to you. You will be surprised what you will learn in just a few trips. You don't want to spend 35-65 thousand to find out you wanted something else.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have subscription on trader site and one of Colorado dealers dropped the price on used Lance 1161 from $14k to $ 7,000
That is what it takes to sell them.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Remember the OP said “makeover” not remodel. He wants to customize the interior appearance to his preferences....and sounds like he’s looking forward to the project.
In that case, imo, it makes the most sense to buy used. The materials for any upgrades should be only a small fraction of the upcharge for a new camper. Win win situation right there.
It can be expected that a, say, 5 year old well kept lightly used camper will perform as new with respect to all the appliances and systems.
Can’t wait to see the makeover!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I once found a two year old Bigfoot camper for sale right in the middle of January. The elderly couple found they just didn't like the camper nor camping. As I was talking with them a couple different times on the phone they lowered the price to less than half what they paid. They were nice folks very wealthy and just wanted it gone.

Thinking back I should have driven the 1,000 miles round trip to go get it. It was in a remote area away from big towns and hadn't gotten enough interest is what they said.

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
I think stored inside or under cover and not lived in full time is the key to finding a quality used TC.

I'm a couple years out from buying one but have zeroed in on the Lance 992 that ran up through 2015. It was replaced by the 975/995.

Used prices on the Lance 992 for year 2007 thru 2015 run in the $15,000 to $30,000 range while a new 975/995 is about $43,000.

For me a good solid used (up to 8 year old) 992 for $20,000 works better for me, but if I had to get into the $30,000 and above range than new makes more sense.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
RetiredBeanCounter wrote:
When you get to the really high-end campers like Host, where 5 years saves $35K, it would appear that a substantial remodel might be worth it. I disagree with posters that say “if it works, why change it?” There is something to be said for esthetics, and I, like many people, would pay a premium for a house, truck, or camper that looks updated and nice, over something that simply works.

So, if I can find that well taken care of 5-year-old camper, I would think that for the $35K difference in price, that I could create something that is nicer than buying off the showroom floor, a better camper than new.

Obviously, if the OP wants to refurbish, he is welcome to do so...

...but a 5yr old model purchased in good condition is likely going to in new or near new condition. They don't change the styling often, so newer is unlikely to look much different. There is no reason to expect aesthetic issues that you wouldn't likely have to change anyway if you bought a new 2018/2019 model.

I took the OP's original comment to imply that a 5yr old unit would have issues requiring refurbishment and that shouldn't be true unless you buy an abused unit...in which case you should be getting a much deeper discount compared to the new price.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to the really high-end campers like Host, where 5 years saves $35K, it would appear that a substantial remodel might be worth it. I disagree with posters that say “if it works, why change it?” There is something to be said for esthetics, and I, like many people, would pay a premium for a house, truck, or camper that looks updated and nice, over something that simply works.

So, if I can find that well taken care of 5-year-old camper, I would think that for the $35K difference in price, that I could create something that is nicer than buying off the showroom floor, a better camper than new.
2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RetiredBeanCounter wrote:
The question I have is -- in buying used-- do campers generally have good bones? The shell, windows, doors, A/C, heat, plumbing, electrical, do they hold up pretty well, or after five are you getting pretty close to wanting to roll it off a cliff?

It all depends on how it's been cared for.

My 9 year old Arctic Fox looks like new on the inside, because I don't beat on it and take very good care of it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own 2 TC - both manufactured in 2001.
One is wood frame, the other aluminium skeleton.
Both had issue with frame cracking under the slide.
Now 1st with aluminum frame spend most of its life in 4-season state and with small roof damage had extensive dryrot damage.
2nd spend most of its life in AZ and looks like PO did reseal all the trim with butyl tape, as it was overflowing all around. As much as ugly it look- the wood camper has solid frame, besides the wings that seem to be replaced.
Both campers have cabinets still looking like new.
Carpet cleaned to new condition as well.
Frankly, I am DIY hobbyist my whole life and seeing how poorly design and build all TC are, I am tempted to buy old Avon and remodel it to my liking (did that with 1964 Airstream TT years ago).
The only thing that stops me is the Avons don't come with slide.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely look for one that has been stored inside.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Tx gearhead post is why if I’m buying used things I only buy private party. Judging the previous owner is as important as judging the item when it comes to deciding the overall condition of a used item.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
To the guy who said re think getting slidouts, you’re in the wrong thread. OP wants a Mammoth so any no slide camper will be about 1/2 the size inside.
Regarding refurbishing, there should be zero need to do ANY remodeling or replacing components on a well cared for, normal use (not some ex full time for years ) 5+ year old camper.
You could update the appearance of the furniture , cabinets etc if you wanted though.

Find one that was used sporadically and stored inside or well protected under cover and it should look and perform pretty much as new, save for normal wear and tear.

You could end up with an abused junker too. Don’t buy that one and you won’t need to remodel it.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I bought mine used, and I usually don't buy used stuff. While checking the camper out also check the owner. Are his cars junk? House need painting? Yard full of junk? If he doesn't take care of his other stuff he probably didn't take care of the camper.

Very good point.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
Do you want to spend your time camping, or do you want to spend your time remodeling an otherwise fine camper?

From my own experience: I would not fix something that is not broken. I'd rather save the money for something else and live with some not quite perfect features of a used camper.
Things that are broken need to be fixed, of course. And of course minor improvements get done every season. But I would never tear into an otherwise fine camper just because I don't like it as it is. In that case, I'd much rather just sell it and buy what I want (Money not being the major issue, as you said).

But that is just my perspective.
To add to this perspective I have a 50 year old camper that has all original fixtures and appliances in working order . The only upgrades have been ; new converter/charger , LED light bulbs , batteries , and cushion covers . That being said , a used camper in poor condition can nickle and dime you to death . A 5 year old camper SHOULD be in excellent condition . Good luck
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed