cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THE RE-PURPOSE Thread

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
I had a telescopic car wash brush with the hose attachment....and the brush actually broke off.....or was run over...I forget:)

I RE-PURPOSED it into a black tank wand.

AND it collapses into a short wand for storage.

8 REPLIES 8

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:

Hope this helps someone in their quest on how to transport their cooking table.

Brilliant!

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
would actually be pretty simple to make one out of some copper pipe, you just gave me an idea!
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same RV wash brush, hasn't broken yet, but good to know for the future.

Thats awesome Cobra!
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I made a sliding drawer/rack for my 6' folding table. Stores the table right under my TT frame, keeps it out of the way until I need it. The repurpose part is the rails and wheels are from an old garage door assembly. I've copied/pasted below:

As I'm sure a lot of you do, I travel with a cooking table to do most of our cooking outside. However, having a travel trailer, storage of a six foot long cooking table is a bit of an issue. I got tired of carting the table in and out of the camper, as I had to store it on top of the bed when traveling.

I considered getting a folding table that folds to three feet. After looking at them, I realized I would never be happy with how they don't open up perfectly level. After all, how are you supposed to cook a killer batch of bacon if all the grease won't pool up where you need it to on the griddle?

So, I started brainstorming on a way to carry the table. Really, the only place that would work was under the frame of the TT. The trick: how to do it with a minimum of weight but strong enough to not give any problem?

I searched the internet over for ideas. Found a few that stored their spare tire, and other odds and ends under frame. However, my TT has an enclosed underbelly, so I wasn't going to be able to use any of that space.

I decided that slotted angle would be the best bet. I would make some drop brackets and bolt them to outside lip of the ibeam frame. Then run a six foot piece of angle to the other side of the TT. I even considered using the angle to make a sort of underbelly box that I could store other things in, such as chairs, etc.

As I started sketching it up, I began to realize that it might be more cumbersome than I first thought. My plan was to let the edges of the table rest on the angle and basically slide it in and out kind of like a drawer.

As I was brainstorming with a friend, he remarked how neat it would be if it could be on rollers, kind of like a garage door. Just so happened, I have rollers, and garage door rails!

Now, I was cooking. New plan.

Drill into the side of the table, and stick garage door rollers right in to the table. I drilled through the soft plastic and then into the metal frame of the table, like so:

image by 93Cobra#2771, on Flickr

Mount garage door rail instead of angle. Much lighter weight. Plus, if it can hold up a 300# garage door, I imagine it will be OK with a ten pound table. I drilled four holes per rail. I had to mount to the outside lip only, as the inside lip wasn't accessible without cutting into the underbelly, as well as notching a piece of channel that the underbelly is retained by. *Note, in this photo, the angle and the rail are temp mounted for mock up purposes.

Once I got the rails spaced correctly, and mounted (I used grade 8 hardware on all of it), I then fashioned a removable piece of slotted flat, with pins and clips, to retain the table in place while traveling FYI, the table is 6'. The distance from the outside edge of my driverside ibeam to the outside edge of my passenger side ibeam is exactly 6'. Happy accident. The below picture isn't great, but you get the idea. And, even though it looks like it is crooked, it is actually perfectly straight - curvature of the lens on the camera makes it look bent.

I have over 4000 miles on this mod, and everything looks as good as the day it was installed.

I was originally going to paint it black, and my do that in the future. However, I'm so dang proud of it that I'm leaving it as is so people will see it and ask about it. 🙂

Hope this helps someone in their quest on how to transport their cooking table.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a good idea! Stick it up in there and doosh the place out!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
:B

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tip.
I'm sure the brush broke off. :W

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. When I find a piece of suitable pipe, I make a cheater bar out of it 😉
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL