Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time for a diesel?

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I've been thinking about switching from our 5er to a motorhome. I really really like our 5er (Forest River Flagstaff 2020 529RLKS uvw 9531). But really we are more, travel to a campground and hang out there. So now I am thinking of a new tow vehicle . I am wondering if it is time to consider a diesel. We don't camp more than once a month. So we are not going a lot. But we do live in California. If you want to go anywhere in California, you are going up over a hill or mountain. Right now we have a 2015 F350 6.2 srw crew cab 4x4. It gets the job done in the valley/flat but start up an incline! It will get us where we are going but it will take a while. Is there anything bigger in gas than our 350?
52 REPLIES 52

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ If I want to hear a screaming engine I’ll jump in my Peterbilt. That Cat screams pretty loud when it gets pulling hard at 1800 rpm.-2000 rpm. Then the cooling fan cuts in and the decibels go up another couple of notches.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Well, I'm not a biologist but I am a woman and I know that for sure after birthing 3 kids. I don't care if people pass me, I prefer that! It's those one lane roads and the 6.2 screaming that get to me. I don't like hearing an engine work like that and it gives me visions of something shooting through the hood.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an engine exceeding 2000RPM, yet so many people have this hang-up!

If I want to hear a high reving gas engine, I will go to a NASCAR race or local dirt track. Towing my 13k 5er, I prefer low reving diesel.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its always time for a diesel.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
I say go diesel. If you like the Forest River products (as I do and all I have owned since 05) then look at the Berkshires. They also make an entry level DP called the Legacy.

The new 7.3 V-8’s and 10 speeds in the class A’s are supposed to be great.

Did Ford fix their lifter issues with the 7.3?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I say go diesel. If you like the Forest River products (as I do and all I have owned since 05) then look at the Berkshires. They also make an entry level DP called the Legacy.

The new 7.3 V-8’s and 10 speeds in the class A’s are supposed to be great.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Well, I've been looking at those 7.3's. Holy ****! They are some nice looking trucks tho. I wonder if it would be possible to put that engine in my truck. My Pop put a 327 into his 1955 Willys Wagon but I do not remember what transmission he had.

You'd have an easier time putting the 7.3 into that '55 Willys than you would into your current truck.

To make the engine run you're going to need whatever computer they've got in Cleetus McFarland's "McFlurry" Fox body Mustang drag car. It sure as heck ain't gonna be able to talk to your truck's current computer. Your truck's computer is going to say "no bueno" if it can't communicate with the engine.

I did not even think about a computer. I'm just that old! I'm it won't start, let's see if we can push it and pop the clutch old!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^100more hp and almost 300 more ft lbs usually makes a difference. 2004-2015

Stock LB7 @ 300/520, same trans compared to the 8.1 especially if it was 4.10s, I’d put my money on the Vortec 8.1 in the 0-60 and drag strip.
But the LB7 would still out tow it.
Nevermind that $300 would get your Dmax into the 400/900 range in about 10 minutes of install work.
Your comparison is wholly not applicable, or at least no more applicable than saying a 70s/80s smogger 454 is slow so why run a new gasser with double the horsepower.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thermoguy wrote:
Its been a few years, but our old truck, 3/4 ton GM with the 8.1 and Alison. Traded that in 2015 for a Chev Duramax. My first Diesel. I won't go back to gas. So much nicer when towing. Actually, nicer all the time. No issues with maintenance. Haven't had anything maintenance wise that would be different between a Diesel and Gas. The dealer I bought it from does free oil changes for life, so no cost there. I have to buy DEF, but that's pennies, maybe 5 gallons per 5K miles.

I thought the 8.1 was great, until I got a Diesel. I really appreciate the power, torque, and gas mileage. This was purchased as a daily driver for my wife and she loves driving it.

There must be a huge difference in the Duramax from 2004 to 2015.

When I bought my 2002 8.1L, I drove a low-mileage 2004 Duramax the night before. I was not impressed. I mashed that pedal all the way to the floor and ho-hum.

That 8.1L put your butt back in the seat, and still does all these years later. It even outperforms Dad's 2015 2500HD 6.0L. On paper it should be able to run with the 8.1L, but it just doesn't have it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Well, I've been looking at those 7.3's. Holy ****! They are some nice looking trucks tho. I wonder if it would be possible to put that engine in my truck. My Pop put a 327 into his 1955 Willys Wagon but I do not remember what transmission he had.

You'd have an easier time putting the 7.3 into that '55 Willys than you would into your current truck.

To make the engine run you're going to need whatever computer they've got in Cleetus McFarland's "McFlurry" Fox body Mustang drag car. It sure as heck ain't gonna be able to talk to your truck's current computer. Your truck's computer is going to say "no bueno" if it can't communicate with the engine.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Well, I'm not a biologist but I am a woman and I know that for sure after birthing 3 kids. I don't care if people pass me, I prefer that! It's those one lane roads and the 6.2 screaming that get to me. I don't like hearing an engine work like that and it gives me visions of something shooting through the hood.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an engine exceeding 2000RPM, yet so many people have this hang-up!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Whether you decide on a diesel or a gas rig, it depends on your driving habits.
Many diesel owner's I see tun down the road at well above the speed limits. Many states vehicles over 10, 00 pounds and towing are required to follow truck speed limits.
Gas rigs do slow down on many mountainous area do travel at a slower speed. It is better for engines and drive trains to do so.
Cost of operating and maintaining diesels are getting out of hand.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
Unless your going downhill I doubt your V-10 stays at 2000 RPMS simply because diesels are generally in the 1500 2000 RPM range not gassers.
I do agree the gap is closing somewhat with the coming of 10 speed trannies and the 7.3 Ford gasser.
Nevertheless diesels have massive amounts of low end torque that improve your towing performance and experience even if your towing an 8K trailer.
We tend to focus on performance factors like RPMS and torque, but on a more basic level it's about the experience.
A diesel provides a much more relaxing, comfortable drive. In the end that is what you are paying for when you choose to go diesel

Going downhill, it rarely gets above 3500rpm. Nothing crazy or uncomfortable and the engine really does a lot to hold her back before having to touch the brakes.

As I said, unless you are exclusively running in the mountains, the experience is just as relaxing.

The reason to get a diesel is because you are exceeding what the gas engines can do. At 11k with the modern trucks, you aren't exceeding what the gas engine can comfortably do.

Update: I think you may have been suggesting running on flatland at 2000rpm isn't possible...Pulling about 8k, do it all the time in overdrive running around 60mph.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its been a few years, but our old truck, 3/4 ton GM with the 8.1 and Alison. Traded that in 2015 for a Chev Duramax. My first Diesel. I won't go back to gas. So much nicer when towing. Actually, nicer all the time. No issues with maintenance. Haven't had anything maintenance wise that would be different between a Diesel and Gas. The dealer I bought it from does free oil changes for life, so no cost there. I have to buy DEF, but that's pennies, maybe 5 gallons per 5K miles.

I thought the 8.1 was great, until I got a Diesel. I really appreciate the power, torque, and gas mileage. This was purchased as a daily driver for my wife and she loves driving it.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I like diesels so I’m gonna vote yes … get a diesel. The little bit of money that you save one way vs the other is not going to be significant in my opinion.

This x1000

The cost difference makes is a wash when you factor in total ownership cost. Why not enjoy the diesel performance advantage?

Seriously, get a spreadsheet out and punch in purchase cost, fuel economy, maintenance expenses, DEF and depreciation/resale.

If the difference is material to you, you probably can't afford to buy either one.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB