cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Size

Fossil_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new trailer that came with 205/75 R15 tires.
Any harm in going up to a 225/75 R15 tire?
I would like the increased plys and load range.
Thank you.
Fossil Hunter
2021 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 25RBHL
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
12 REPLIES 12

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
MFL wrote:
Op has not said what his new trailer GVWR is, or what load range tire is on it. He may already have D rated tires. If he has C rated oem, they would have to be adequate. If he wants, or needs a bit more cushion for his load, D rated Endurance would be a good choice.

Jerry

6038 lbs dry weight

So, laoded, you migt be at 8,000 lbs? Minus 1,200 tongue weight....You'll be at 6,800+-.
I like the idea of an E rated tire. Stronger, faster, better.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Diameter of the 205 width tire is 27.1" as opposed to 28.3" for the 225. Tire width is 8" as opposed to almost 9". Going to the larger tire will reduce overhead clearance by a little less than 5/8" and your tandem tires will be 1 1/8" closer together. In theory, your trailer brakes would be 4% less effective.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I would use Goodyear Wrangler HT and skip the ST tires.

I second the "emotion" for GY Wrangler HT 215s. Compared to Marathon ST tires, HT tires have 75% deeper tread and are 1/2" wider (more rubber meeting the road); that's what sold me. HT's having a higher speed index was pure insurance, especially since we do drive desert roads in the summer.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Op has not said what his new trailer GVWR is, or what load range tire is on it. He may already have D rated tires. If he has C rated oem, they would have to be adequate. If he wants, or needs a bit more cushion for his load, D rated Endurance would be a good choice.

Jerry

6038 lbs dry weight

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nor has OP told us the load range of his current tires.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would use Goodyear Wrangler HT and skip the ST tires.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would also run the existing new trailer tires for at least two seasons before replacement unless they delaminate or show other defects.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Gdetrailer, that top tire show 225-E. All 205-15 are C & D that I am aware of.

For the OP watch your approved wheel width and clearance before you jump to 225s. May need new wheels. Keep in mind trailer suspensions do deflect significantly when turning sharp.

I have and recommend the Goodyear Endurance ST205R15-D. Speed rated to 80 something.

Right you are.. Looks like a bug in that websites search that substituted 225 for 205..

LR D for 205 is 8 ply rating and is good for 2,150-lb max load at 65 psi

Not sure how big and heavy the OPs trailer is but for two axle trailer you have 8600 lbs of capacity with LR D..

LR C has ply rating of 6 and a 1,820-lb maximum load at 50 psi and for two axle you have 7280 lbs of capacity..

But as I mentioned before, if OP has LR C to get the extra capacity they MUST inflate to sidewall pressure which in LR D is 65 PSI..

I still stand by the statement that as long as they have bought a BRAND NEW TRAILER there is no compelling reason to change tires or sizes "just because" they want more ply rating and should just run what they have until worn..

IF they experience a blowout, THEN move up.. The odds of a blowout are not all that great, yes, there have been some folks who have experienced multiple blowouts, but the reality is those most likely are self inflicted by overloading and or underinflating.

Running over stuff on the road like nails, bolts and other objects, jumping curbs can damage even the highest ply rating tire available even on the lightest load..

Heck I blew out a 10 ply tire on a empty pickup just running over a bolt on the road that I never saw.. Just heard a woosh sound.. Tire mechanic pointed to the size of hole and said non repairable, a bolt went through, too big of hole to repair..

The blowout scare on this and many other forums are way over hyped..

Fossil_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in the Goodyear endurance tire. I had them on a previous trailer and they worked great.
Fossil Hunter
2021 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 25RBHL
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Gdetrailer, that top tire show 225-E. All 205-15 are C & D that I am aware of.

For the OP watch your approved wheel width and clearance before you jump to 225s. May need new wheels. Keep in mind trailer suspensions do deflect significantly when turning sharp.

I have and recommend the Goodyear Endurance ST205R15-D. Speed rated to 80 something.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You don't have to change tire sizes, just go up in the load range..

You can get Load range E in your default size of 205/75 R15..

SEE HERE

"Capacity: Load range: E Ply rating: 10 Maximum load: 2,830 lbs at 80 psi Maximum speed: 81 mph (speed rating M) "

2,830 lbs capacity and plyrating of 10 which is the same as 225/75 R15 Load range E.

Going to 225/75 R15 will net you nothing than paying more and perhaps due to larger diameter might even scrape/rub the wheel well and at worst wheels may end up touching while in motion..

Moving up to Load range E will also require airing up the tires to maximum side wall pressure of 80PSI get that extra capacity. Airing LR E to 50 PSI may net you LESS capacity than a LR C aired to 50 PSI.

This may exceed your max rim pressure if you have LR C tires (LR C side wall pressure is 50 PSI).

Honestly, since you just bought it and if it is brand new off the lot, I would recommend using as is. For the most part, unless you are severely overloading and or underinflating the tires spec'd by the manufacture will meet the absolute min of required ratings.

The main key here is to make sure you inflate and maintain the tires to the SIDE WALL PRESSURE. Generally as long as you do that they should be fine..

After the tires have worn down then consider moving up to a heavier load range, IF you experience a blown tire.. Higher load range adds weight which can be problematic with braking..