cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires (again)?

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
I have, what I think, is a slightly unusual tire question. I have a Silverado 1500 (Crew Cab, 4wd, LTZ, Z71) and need to replace the tires. This summer we are planning on going on a grand "Out West" tour to include AZ, NM, UT, and CO - and of course will be dealing with Ohio winters. While there we plan on going out into the desert on unimproved roads and into the mountains on the easier trails. With all the freeway driving we are planning, my local tire shop manager highly recommended Michelin LTX M/S2's, claiming that they will have great traction in the situations I described above. I am not sure about how they will do in the unimproved (dirt, 2 track, easier trails) roads in the desert and the mountains. So, I am looking for experiences with the Michelins, comments, and suggestions for other tires.

Thanks!

Tom
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
16 REPLIES 16

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Have had MS2s for several years on a 4x2
Great highway and dry off road or rock tire.
But useless on wet grass and mud, especially on a 4x2.
The Southwest is pretty dry, so should be fine on a 4x4.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
My truck csme with Michelins AT2 from the factory and got ~43k miles and then I purchased a set of BF Goodrich AT2 and got ~44k miles. I recently purchased a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar sidewalls. When I drove the truck I immediately noticed they road smoother than the two previous brands. They are a 60k mile rated tire like the Michelins so we'll see how long they last.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add a vote for Nitto Terra Grapplers. I Recently put these on my truck and have been very impressed so far. They have had great reviews and mine have a 65,000 mile rating which I th is amazing for a All Terrain tire.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper HT3 here. Unless they create a problem in the future I will make that a replacement for all my tires in the future.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Thunderbolt wrote:
I like my Cooper AT3. Work great in Minnesota winter and on the road. Also wear well.

That would be my choice, either them or the Toyo AT2

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Cooper AT3. Work great in Minnesota winter and on the road. Also wear well.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

blt2ski
I'll go with Toyo or Cooper generally speaking. No blow outs with those brands of tires. Now Micheblows on the other hand.......too expensive for what you get! IMHO.

Then again, Tires are like truck brands.....everyone had an opinion.....kinda like rear ends, all stink at some point in time......LOLOL

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine on Michelin MS2s. I live in Utah and have done several 'easy' Moab area trails with them on (Gemini Bridges, Shafer), as well as a couple fairly deep sand routes in the Escalante region, no problems at all.

I used to only run AT tires on my trucks (usually BFG AT), since we like to get off the 'beaten path' every so often. Decided to go with the MS2 last time I needed tires. I didn't notice any decrease in snow or off-road traction. Just less noise and a bit better mpg.

Sounds like a fun trip!
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
1st Cooper Discovery AT3
2nd Toyo Open Country AT
3rd BFG AT 2

For price, wear, ride, road noise, traction (on and off road) the Cooper AT3 is top notch IMO. Always at the top of 90% of reviews you'll find on them also.

I'm firmly in the Michelin sucks camp!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
A sidewall cut is more a concern than traction. Firestone AT get great reviews and are priced right usually. I've used them and was satisfied. Made it to the top of Engineer pass with a set of those in 2wd.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We use Toyo A/T's, 60k miles on the first set which were rated for 40k. The current set have~40k and about half the tread left with lots of time in the rocks of NM and AZ.

I will never buy another Michelin, the side walls rip out under off road conditions to easily.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a set of the newer version of that, the Defender M/S (in an LT). So, I can't answer your question. 🙂

I'm not worried about off road traction. The trail riding that we've done with our truck in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, etc. was a snap for our current street tires. We didn't so much as slip on trails that I'm comfortable on.

The traction control on these new trucks is pretty amazing.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had two sets of Michelin LTX M/S tires. Great tires on the highway, never used them off road, so unsure about that application.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Check TireRack ratings Rating