cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tongue mounted bike rack?

Clamon4
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked around and nothing. I saw a picture awhile ago that had a tongue mounted bike rack that went over the propane tanks. Of course I cant find it now. I have my generator mounted on the rear 2" hitch so I want to had some weight back to the tongue, although 2 bikes are not that heavy. Anyone have any ideas??
7 REPLIES 7

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I think that's a 2" receiver and the rack they have in it is a 1 inch with an adapter spacer.

I think that you are right.
It is hard to tell, but that is definitely NOT a 2" tube coming out of the receiver tube. Receiver tubing is expensive seamless tubing that is a little over 2" ID. When building trailers, I use the seamless receiver tubing on the tongue, and the rear for everything from mounting points for anything from racks to extention bumpers.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I think that's a 2" receiver and the rack they have in it is a 1 inch with an adapter spacer.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Many on here have the equipment to make their own. A great option if you can. We don't, so we've been looking at one like this.

Problem is I've yet to find anyone with experience with it, and while the description says it has a 2" receiver, the picture does not look like 2".

502_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I made something similar to BossCamper's hitch..

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Arvika but couldn't justify the cost!
I built one very similar to the one features in the second posting in this thread. I am VERY pleased with ours. Easy to use, and the bike rack can be removed and put on the truck.

The second receiver tube on mine is because the first one put the bike wheels just a bit close to the edges of the truck box on tight turns while backing into a site. The second tube raised the bikes a couple of inches for more clearance. Easier than rebuilding the whole thing! ๐Ÿ™‚
The hardest part was finding the right tubing for the receiver tube. It's not just-run-of-the-mill tubing. Go to someplace where they build trailers and hitches for the correct material.
The photo doesn't show the gussets at all corners.

Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Arvika. Canadian company, and they are the only commercially available one I know. It's a nice setup, little pricey.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the link to a recent thread on this subject.
The member that posted it built his own tongue-mounted bike rack, and if you follow the link in his opening post you'll see pictures of it.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien