cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torklift Tie Downs - Install

countrycampers3
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you interested in Torklift Tie Downs. I did a blog report on the installation process, and my thoughts, opinion of their product.

Hopefully this might help some of you out.

Here is a link to the blog report:
https://midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com/torklift-international-ambassador-program/total if to tied...

good luck
2008 Ford F-350 Dually Flatbed

2013 NorthStar Arrow 8.5 with side storage compartments.
12 REPLIES 12

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my SuperHitch today on my new RAM 3500 which I had removed from my 2013 RAM 3500.

Before I started the install, I went to the Torklift website to refresh my understanding of the installation procedure. I encountered the login page and said "what the heck" and just went out to the shop and started the install.

I couldn't find the wire to fish the bolts through the frame so I made my own out of some stainless steel welding wire. The "fun" part was on Wednesday when I "unfished" (removed) the bolts from the 2013 frame. Once again, I built my fishing line from stainless steel welding wire with a hook on the end and was able to recover all the bolts and thick square washers.

When I was wrapping up the install, I saw two extra bolts. I found where they were needed - it would have been helpful to have installed them second in order.

All-in-all everything went real smooth and my new truck has the tie down, SuperHitch, and StableLoads installed.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The Torklift site has section with all the installation manuals in PDF, but it requires a login provided by the company. These manuals have color pictures that can be scaled to get better views. This helped me when I was fitting my SuperHitch Magnum to my new RAM 5500. That may have helped you with your installation too. I like the fact that most of their products do not require drilling or modification of your truck.

You can find the site here and you don't need a login if you skip that page and just go directly here;

http://www.torklift.com/restricted/customerservice.php

Once there, you can just scroll down until you find the manual you are looking for, or, use your browser 'find' or search feature and type in the name or designation of the product you want the manual for. For example, a search of D1102 will get you to the link for the superhitch manual for late model Dodge trucks.

scott936
Explorer
Explorer
Crumm wrote:
I felt that for my model the instruction manual was very difficult to follow, pictures were not in order as far as I could tell, and they were hard to see. I wish they could have color pictures.

I would agree. I finally just threw the instructions away and figured it out myself.

I would agree the directions were poor at best... Just looked at it and figured it out on my own..
2005 Sun Lite 1055
2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 6.7L

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to check the fishing tool provided with the supplied bolts. With my Torklift tie-down kit the fishing tool was undersized for the size bolts provided and this made it extremely difficult to remove them without damaging the spring like end.

I was glad that I did the work myself as it took an extra 6 hours as the parts did not fit properly at the front or the rear. At the front mounts I trimmed off part of the tiedown so the bolts for the bed of the truck could go all the way into the factory holes.

At the rear the bracket as provided by Torklift was pressing against a fuel line and a brake line. I used a power hacksaw to trim the brackets and then ground them smooth and painted the brackets after verifying that they would fit properly.

Overall what should have taken an hour or two was an all day project. As I stated I was glad I was not paying an hourly shop rate to have the work done and I am 100% sure that a mechanic would have force fit the front bracket and half the threads of the bolt would not be making contact with the frame and the rear bracket would have been rubbing against the brake and fuel lines until I had a failure.

I have been installing aftermarket products like this on my trucks for over 30 years and actually I am surprised when an installation goes smoothly with a good fit without having to modify anything. In contrast to the Torklift tiedowns which took a day to get installed properly, I installed the Supersprings on my truck in less than an hour and it took about 30 minutes to install a Big Wig anti-sway bar.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
So far I am happy with my install. The rear took 15 minutes to do and the front took 1/2 hour each. I found the instructions adequate for my 13 F150.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
I felt that for my model the instruction manual was very difficult to follow, pictures were not in order as far as I could tell, and they were hard to see. I wish they could have color pictures.

I would agree. I finally just threw the instructions away and figured it out myself.
2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

Moose10
Explorer
Explorer
I too have used both HJ's and TL, and prefer the TL by far. Didn't like the flimsiness of the HJ on the thin sheet metal at the front of the bed. I had bars mounted into my stock hitch for the rear so I have no experience with those silly bumper tab attachments.
2001.5 Ram 3500 4x4 QC Sport ETH/DEE
on Vision Hauler 19.5's
'06 Arctic Fox 1150
'09 Nissan Murano S
'14 Ford F-150 FX4
'03 Polaris 700RMK VE, MBRP can
'04 Polaris 600RMK VE
'04 & '05 Suzuki Eiger 400's

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
You should have looked at Happyjac website and checked the comparison of the 2 types of tie downs, according to HJ the fulcrum points are much better with HJ
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

countrycampers3
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The Torklift site has section with all the installation manuals in PDF, but it requires a login provided by the company. These manuals have color pictures that can be scaled to get better views. This helped me when I was fitting my SuperHitch Magnum to my new RAM 5500. That may have helped you with your installation too. I like the fact that most of their products do not require drilling or modification of your truck.

wonder why they didn't tell me that when I was on the phone with them.
2008 Ford F-350 Dually Flatbed

2013 NorthStar Arrow 8.5 with side storage compartments.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Torklift tie downs since 2005. I found them to be easy to install as long as the installer understands how to use the fishing tool. No issues in ten years with a 4000 pound camper. The rear right does get close to the exhaust and the sticker/placard came off quickly under use from exhaust heat. If you are impressed with the product, I would suggest you spell their name correctly.

Had HappiJacs prior, Torklifts are substantially stronger, no holes drilled into the bed, and it really mounts to the frame.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift makes good stuff. Nice write-up
Bob

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD