cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Rig Tires

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
Tow rig is Ford Excursion 7.3. Trailer is 35' long about 9,000 lbs.

I'm interested in the best tire for towing, for example a stiff sidewall to limit flex.

After doing a little research it seemed like Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD would be a good choice. I ordered a pair from Costco but they were already 2 years old, so I refused them. My understanding is that I should require 1 year old or newer. So the first question is am I correct in my one year or newer requirement?

After calling around to local places and emailing one or two online ones it seems like there is no way to ensure that I can get Duravis less than 1 year old. Since these tires are not popular I guess they sit in inventory for a long time. The local Bridgestone dealer said they sell them up to 5 years old - one year past the max warranty period!!!!

Are there some other tires that are held in high regard as a tire for a tow vehicle?

My other Costco choices are:
BFGoodrich - All-Terrain T/A KO2
Michelin - X Radial LT2
Michelin - LTX A/T2

My current tires are Firestone Transforce HT, so I'm hoping to find and improvement from these. I have to run the rear tires at 80 psi for the best behavior. This is with approx 2500 lbs load on each tire.

Can I use the tire weight as a rough gauge to aid in selection? For example the Duravis is 53 lbs while the Transforce is 44 lbs.

I'm happy to go to some other shop if there's some other option that's better than the above choices.
13 REPLIES 13

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have it, get Airlift and put on the rear. We run Michelin LT/MS. Best all around and only inflate to 60 lb. I don't understand why you think you need 70 lb but maybe you like the Kidney jarring effect. We haul a 10 K trailer, GCVW 19800. MS2s have greater grip, greater water cahnelling and better traction on snow-slush.

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am running BFG KO2s. No issues with 6500lbs on rear axle at 80psi. Quiet on the highway, great offroad/snow traction, and they look good to boot. I have never seen "new" tires that were older than 6 months. Usually they are only 2 months or so.
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with my Toyo AT II's.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dougger222
Explorer
Explorer
Having run the following tires on the tow vehicles,
BFG ATKO (2 sets)
Michelin AT (2 sets)
Michelin MS2's (2 sets)
Nitto Terra Graplers
Goodyear Wranglers
Bridgestone Ravo's E load
Cooper Discovery

The only ones worth buying again were the first 3 tires.
00,02,03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD'S
1999 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 DRW PSD
1999 F250 xlt 4x4 x-cab PSD
1965 Mustang 289
1969 GTO 400 4sp
2000 BMW 328CI
Trailers-04/09 PJ 15K dump, 04 H&H 20ft tilt, 98 Haulmark 7x14, 07 Dreamshak 20ft hydraulic fish house

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
mrekim wrote:
Tow rig is Ford Excursion 7.3. Trailer is 35' long about 9,000 lbs.

I'm interested in the best tire for towing, for example a stiff sidewall to limit flex.

After doing a little research it seemed like Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD would be a good choice. I ordered a pair from Costco but they were already 2 years old, so I refused them. My understanding is that I should require 1 year old or newer. So the first question is am I correct in my one year or newer requirement?

After calling around to local places and emailing one or two online ones it seems like there is no way to ensure that I can get Duravis less than 1 year old. Since these tires are not popular I guess they sit in inventory for a long time. The local Bridgestone dealer said they sell them up to 5 years old - one year past the max warranty period!!!!

Are there some other tires that are held in high regard as a tire for a tow vehicle?

My other Costco choices are:
BFGoodrich - All-Terrain T/A KO2
Michelin - X Radial LT2
Michelin - LTX A/T2

My current tires are Firestone Transforce HT, so I'm hoping to find and improvement from these. I have to run the rear tires at 80 psi for the best behavior. This is with approx 2500 lbs load on each tire.

Can I use the tire weight as a rough gauge to aid in selection? For example the Duravis is 53 lbs while the Transforce is 44 lbs.

I'm happy to go to some other shop if there's some other option that's better than the above choices.

I've sure had good luck with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure and SilentArmor with Kevlar tires. I had GY SilentArmors since 2009 on one of my trucks and put almost 70,000 miles on them with no flats. They are smooth and quiet and still had another 10,000 in them if I had wanted to push them. My other truck has had SilentArmors for almost a year and they have been super. I hear the All-Terrain Adventure's are the updated replacement for the SilentArmors, but not sure about that. Just make sure when you get them that you get the LT version. I ordered mine this last time through Sam's and they ordered the lighter ply non-LTs. Had to wait on the LTs to come in when re-ordered. Had no idea a tire that big didn't come in LT only.
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Fortwo Passion
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
You might not like the R500. Need alot of weight to keep the tires from spinning on wet pavement. They do last though.

I have always been able to get fresh tires. Try tire rack.com.

blt2ski
What size tires are you running? I've noticed when running 235-85-16 vs a 245-75-16, I needed about 10 more lbs in the 235s vs 245s. If you have 265-75-16 tires. I.could run those at 55-60 lbs and be fine for loads in the 5000-5500 lb per axle. Fronts about +5 lbs vs rear.
First one HT are a.softer sidewall tire vs.some. I have them on work van. Overall I'm happy. I do not tow, only run empty 5500 empty lbs vs 9-10,000 loaded.
I have.an off brand from discount that were 125 per tire with a 60k wear out on them. I.would.call.them.an.aggressive hwy tire vs AT.they.are labeled. They handle.heavy.loads very well.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

You only have 5000lbs on the rear axle. Not sure how much stiffer you need. Any decent load e tire is fine. Worry less about sidewall stiffness and more about suspension stiffness with that big a trailer sitting on the back of an already heavy suv.

That's what I thought, but the Firestone's seemed to behave better with 80 PSI even thought I should not need to be up that high.

I do have on my "todo" list to get different springs but right now the tires are higher up on the list.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ya well I used.......nvm.
You only have 5000lbs on the rear axle. Not sure how much stiffer you need. Any decent load e tire is fine. Worry less about sidewall stiffness and more about suspension stiffness with that big a trailer sitting on the back of an already heavy suv.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
I put Cooper Discoverer HT3s on my truck about a year ago, and I'm happy with them. They replaced Michelin LTX in the rear and Uniroyals in the front.

They were squishy feeling for the first 1000 miles or so, but ride quiet, and have had zero problems with them loaded or unloaded.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Toyo AT2-have had 3 sets ,great tire,extremely quiet,great on snow and ice,6400 lbs rear axel.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I've had great luck with the BFG Rugged Trail on my Dodge.

I've run a ton of the BFG Commercial tires on duallys and on trailers. They have held up very well also.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

blt2ski
There is never a BEST tire for anything. Towing, if like myself, I towed my old TT to the mtns as a ski hut. So the tire choices you mentioned are no good! I went with more of a true traction tire. If you are on hard roads, desert SW, then michilin xps ribs or equal are the best design. If you get more off road, you may find the Cooper AT to be the better design tire.

For me, Any brand BUT a michiblow or equal, IE the latter three tires you mentioned. The BFG;s are ok, but the traction is not what they are held up to be imho. The traction version is better.

Make sure they are round and balanced frankly. After that, its a **** shoot as to what is best per say, all depending upon driving habits, where etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer