cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a larger Travel Trailer

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, newbie here. I recently upgraded to a 35ft Nomad Joey that has a dry weight of 7250 lbs, but the sticker on the side says it weighs like 8100 lbs(not sure what that weight means, dry weight plus whats in the trailer?). We bought our 1st camper last December, 24ft light travel trailer but soon realized we wanted to upgrade since we have 2 children and fell in love with camping. I have a 2007 Toyota crewmax that has a max towing capacity around 10,400 lbs. We have taken it on a short trip of about 30-40 miles away from the house but we are getting ready for a 3-4 hour trip and I'm a little nervous. I've seen a lot of campers my size on the road being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. Should my Tundra be ok? or did I over do it with this big of a travel trailer? Recommended top speed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
buffaloKev wrote:
Hey Guys, newbie here. I recently upgraded to a 35ft Nomad Joey that has a dry weight of 7250 lbs, but the sticker on the side says it weighs like 8100 lbs(not sure what that weight means, dry weight plus whats in the trailer?). We bought our 1st camper last December, 24ft light travel trailer but soon realized we wanted to upgrade since we have 2 children and fell in love with camping. I have a 2007 Toyota crewmax that has a max towing capacity around 10,400 lbs. We have taken it on a short trip of about 30-40 miles away from the house but we are getting ready for a 3-4 hour trip and I'm a little nervous. I've seen a lot of campers my size on the road being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. Should my Tundra be ok? or did I over do it with this big of a travel trailer? Recommended top speed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I tow about the same as you with my CrewMax 5.7. Also went from a 25ft to a 35ft. for the same reasons you did. Biggest difference I noticed was with the length as you have to be more careful on the turns. Other than that, no problems.

Most important thing is to have a good quality WD Hitch, properly set up. I've got the Equalizer with 4 pt sway control and it works fine.

Lots of owners towing the same trailer as mine (Windjammer 3001W) on the Forest River forum and are very satisfied as this is a v-hull that is very aerodynamic.

As to your weights, the lower weight rating is normally the dry weight and the higher number will be the gross weight which is the max the trailer is supposed to weigh loaded.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor just bought a trailer about that size. He had a Chevy 1500 2 wheel drive. They told him he could pull, no problem. He just made his first run, 400 miles round trip. When he got back I ask how it went. He said well I made it home.

When I got home yesterday he had a new 2500 Dodge Cummins 4x4 sitting in the driveway. I went over and checked it out, beautiful rig. I think he now understands the difference is pulling it and "Pullin it".
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
buffaloKev wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. I talked to a dealership and they told me I was fine with my WD set up and sway bars... but after reading these replies, I may need to down size to a smaller trailer.

Thats how you sell a trailer .

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there are some people who pull some monstrous loads with a half-ton. They are satisfied with the performance and either do not know or are willing to live with the over load for the small percentage of the time they tow their trailer.

rbpru -I also recommend no more than 5,000 pounds dry for half tons, and I have been criticized for this. But, IMHO that weight will keep you within all limits/specs the trucks were designed for.

Most people wouldn't put their families at risk intentionally, therefore I'm afraid it's ignorance.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I was told my half ton was too small, was when I asked two different dealers what I had to do to it to tow a Fiver. Both dealers said you will not be happy with anything less than a ¾ ton.:(

As you may have figured already, it is not how much you can tow; you can “pull” a lot of weight. What limits you is much weight you can add to the truck. You will usually find the cargo capacity on a sticker on the door jamb somewhere and it varies with each truck and accessories.:h

Your truck has to carry people, truck accessories such as a cap, tools, tables, chairs camping gear, mirrors, bikes and other toys etc. In addition you have to add the tongue weight of the trailer.

Yes there are some people who pull some monstrous loads with a half-ton. They are satisfied with the performance and either do not know or are willing to live with the over load for the small percentage of the time they tow their trailer. :@

My personal choice is a 5000 lb. TT for a half ton and even that pushes the cargo limit when it is loaded with lot of “stuff”. 😉
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
buffaloKev wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. I talked to a dealership and they told me I was fine with my WD set up and sway bars... but after reading these replies, I may need to down size to a smaller trailer.

Forget about that mythical tow number. You won't get there with out overloading your Tundra.

Don't listen to RV sales people, as to what you can tow. Some of them have never towed a trailer. They see an advertised max tow capacity number and try to sell you a trailer with unloaded weight, near to your capacity. In some cases, people have purchased trailers that, when loaded for camping, they exceeded the max tow number. There have also been folks who bought trailers that were within their trucks capacity, but, they failed to consider the weight of their passengers and cargo. Soon as everybody got in the truck, it no longer had the capacity for the trailer.

If you want real world numbers on what you can tow, look at the loading sticker on your drivers door post. That will show you a max occupant / cargo (payload) number and GVWR.

That payload number is weight capacity your truck had, when it left the factory, to carry fuel, aftermarket accessories, driver, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight, combined.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Example:

Lets say that number is 1500 lbs.

If your truck now has a fiberglass bed cap (about 200 lbs), it's available payload would be 1300 lbs.

If your fuel, driver, passengers, and cargo weigh 700 lbs, you would have 600 lb payload available for hitch (about 100 lbs) and tongue weight.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you know what your available payload is, divide that number by .12. The result is a ballpark number for loaded trailer weight that will put you at max weight on the truck.

Example:

After weight is deducted for fuel, driver, passengers, cargo, and WD hitch, you have 800 lbs payload available for tongue weight.

800 divided by .12 equals 6666 lb loaded trailer.

Average camping load (dishes, pots and pans, camp chairs, BBQ, bedding, groceries, and water, etc) is 800-1000 lbs.

You should look at trailers with unloaded weight below 5666 lbs.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Your numbers could be higher, or lower, depending on size of family and how much stuff you plan to put in the truck.

Things to keep in mind:

Payload will be used up, long before you get close to the mythical max tow number.

Towing at or above max weight, can be unpleasant, and, it puts you in a situation where you need to be concerned about location and weight of everything and everybody going camping with you. Takes some of the fun out of it.

Most half ton trucks, come with passenger (P) rated tires. Passenger tires are built for comfort, not carrying a heavy load. When they are put in a position of carrying heavy loads, they are not as stable as truck "LT" tires.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my chevy dealer told me the same thing, that truck will pull any thing you want. I say BS. I can not tell you the difference in towing with the 1/2 compared to a 3/4, it's like night and day. in fact I am thinking of getting a one ton for this new trailer I have, it is a 35 ft.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from a half-ton owner=THAT'S WAY TOO MUCH TRAILER FOR THAT TRUCK!

Another case of "The RV Salesman said I could tow it!".

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
buffaloKev wrote:

Ya, I'm sure they did say something very close to, "Sure, you can tow it no problem."

It's a 'dealership' thing. Most care more about selling a trailer than they care about if you can tow it.

Remember, with kids and the family dog, you are going to have a lot of gear...like bikes, toys, etc in the bed of your truck. This will all count against that all important payload. Think PAYLOAD numbers, not tow rating numbers...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a 1 ton SRW as opposed to a 3/4 ton. Often the difference is an additional spring pack on the rear axle that doesn't engage until the truck is loaded enough to drop to that point. So, unloaded, the ride should be about the same as a 3/4 ton but you will have a higher GVWR on the truck.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a lot of trailer for your truck. You'll know more once you load and tow it.

Make sure you have enough tongue weight to prevent sway. Take it easy and good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Op, you need to weigh the rig. You need three weighs based on the truck with a full tank of gas.

1) truck and trailer loaded for camping with family in the truck with WD hooked up- this will give you your cross combined weight
2) truck..loaded with family - subtract this weight from the trucks GVWR. This will give you your actual payload (regardless of the payload sticker, this will be your real world payload)
3) truck and trailer without WD- take the weight of the truck from this weigh and subtract it from the #2 weigh. This will give you a fairly accurate tongue weight.

This will give you all the data you need to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The 7250 is probably the brochure weight and the 8100 is the 'as built' weight.

Assuming you have a weight of 8100, the loaded weight will probably be 9600 pounds once you add food, gear, clothes, and water. The tongue weight will be between 1100 and 1400.

Subtract tongue weight of 1400 from your payload capacity. Now subtract the passengers and gear in your truck from the payload. Got anything left? I doubt it.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

109rfan
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree. Your under trucked. I just traded my tundra double cab for a 3/4 truck. My trailer is similar weight but a 29 footer plus Toyota was over rating their trucks your real capability is probably around 9500 pounds. But again payload wise your most likely over. I loved my tundra and hate daily driving the ram 2500 but safety first.