cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing/roadside assistance

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
So looks like everything has fallen into place and I will be going to alaska in a week or 2. I have a truck and truck camper. My truck has towing and road side assistance on its normal coverage. I am guessing I need something more like the good sam or similar. I have read other areas of the forum but they mostly talk about motor homes. Anyone with T/C specific info on this subject. I will call my agent but looking for advise from someone thats been there. I am not a big planner when it comes to vaca. I know enough to leave the guns behind(thanks canada), bring the dog papers, a fishing pole, map, and some cash. I'm going to call verizon make sure my phone works if they have a signal. Not sure about the insurance end. I do know one thing. If those guys from "gold rush" can make it up there and back, I will have no problem.
13 REPLIES 13

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, definitely let the insurance company know. They will want to know the approximate dates of your travel and will provide a card for coverage.

Watch the food for the crossing and make sure you know what you can/can't carry across the boarder (both ways).

Only other thing that has been mentioned would be make sure you have at minimum a passport card.

Otherwise, have lots of fun and report back. Hoping to make the trip myself next year with family.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you inform your insurance carrier. I had to get a rider from State Farm. Take a big bottle jack and check air in your spare. Don't use cell in Canada. Take your heart medicine for the first time you buy fuel in Canada. Best trip I the world...enjoy.
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
as others have stated...you are being smart checking into these things ahead of time. although you can do and check maintenance of everything on the truck something may still happen. there was no way i could have known my fuel pump (gas motor in my truck) would go out.
the repair shop had the truck fixed a few hours later. things happen...they could always be worse.

2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
well...i can tell you from recent experience on our trip a couple days ago that my regular insurance with roadside insurance works great. i am insured with safeco. i was 30 miles out from the closest town with a repair shop. they had to bring a big tow truck since i had my camper on the truck. the camper never had to be removed by the way. total bill for the tow was $395.50. ive already talked to the insurance and they will pay the bill in full. they will pay in full any tow to the nearest repair facility.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

rbrinn
Explorer
Explorer
Probably should check with your insurance company for sure. We were camping on the beach at Assateague a few years back on Father's Day when the transmission went out--3 miles from the pavement!Our insurance company paid for the tow which was $600. We took plenty of pictures and that convinced them.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
FreeLanceing wrote:
I put new bg ats on a few weeks ago. I also did new brakes, fuel pump, tune up, fe alinged. I should be in good shape but you never know. I hope i have no trouble i have no patience, none whatso ever. WAiting is not in my skillset. Maybe I better bring some books incase.

Well, you obviously have some level of patience. You own a TC. :B
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
FreeLanceing wrote:
I put new bg ats on a few weeks ago. I also did new brakes, fuel pump, tune up, fe alinged. I should be in good shape but you never know. I hope i have no trouble i have no patience, none whatso ever. WAiting is not in my skillset. Maybe I better bring some books incase.

It looks like you are planning well, A tire plug kit and little air compressor may come in handy too. Enjoy the trip and don't let the meatheads at the Alaska border ruin your trip, they have always been the worst part of the trip for me. I was active duty USAF each time I passed through, and was treated like a terrorist.

I also recommend you spend time in Canada on your way up, great people along the way and lots of fun things to do (Toad River and Destruction Bay are always fun eh).
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

kayakin
Explorer
Explorer
have fun!

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep in mind that there is snow in some passes even in June/July. I think your biggest potential failure is probably tires, and there is potentially long stretches without any help even if you have coverage. I'd make a backup plan with respect to changing tires if required.

I'd consider proximity to towns in your route. In other words, a longer route may be more advantageous to keep from going so far out of civilization.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I broke down half way between Fort Nelson, BC and Fort St. John, BC. a few years ago. It is a long way from nowhere. I was blessed in a trucker stopped and he climbed to the top of a earth mover he was transporting and got cell service. A tow truck came out of Fort St. John and they towed me. I had to pay the tow bill which was $650, but my insurance paid it within 3 days of me mailing it to them. Everything worked great.

Now on cell service you really want to check. I usually pick up a trac phone in the first town I hit in Canada and then turn my phone off. Data prices can be quite expensive and only if you have an international plan do the rates for phone calls come down. Cell service is very spotty. I just did the Cassier both ways and there was no cell phone service on it. If you get around a bigger town you can get it. I live in Haines, Ak.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you bring your sense of humour and your own DEET mosquito repellant too. Last year Alaska sold out of DEET.

Sense of humour comes in handy in case of breakdown or delay due to road closures (construction, flooding, forest fires). Also useful if you're needing to wait a day or two for a tow truck or 3-4 days for parts delivery.

Odds are it won't happen, but best to have a head's up! :B
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The only clauses in roadside assistance I've seen that could be a surprise are related to if one is towing a trailer or boat. Having a load of rocks or a camper in the bed of your truck shouldn't be a deal killer but best to make sure like you are attempting to do is a wise thing.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk